.. the service and extra amenities that I have come to expect are going down hill
I have been staying at the Inn on Lake Superior for years; it's the only place that I'll stay or recommend in Duluth. On our most recent stay we took advantage of the pet policy and brought along our pooch, but had some mixed feelings about our stay with our pet.
- Beautiful Location & Gorgeous Views
- AMAZING Beds
- Pets Allowed
- Great Breakfast (included!)
- Lake Front Patio
- Free Nightly S'mores and complimentary tea, hot chocolate, and coffee 24/hours
- Rooftop Pool & Great Sauna
- Pet Policy
- Pool Hours
- Breakfast Hours
- Tea Options
I was disappointed in the level of professionalism and lack of communication among staff. We had added on the "Inn Credible Getaway" Package, which includes (among other things) a 1pm, rather than noon, check out time.
Maid service knocked on our door shortly after 12 on the day of checkout-- despite the "privacy please" sign clearly placed on the door. I found this to be completely unacceptable. A guest should never have to deal with hotel staff knocking when the "privacy please" sign is clearly and appropriately placed on the door, regardless of check-out time. A phone call from the front desk would have been appropriate had we stayed over check-out with the privacy sign posted.
Not only were we interrupted during our last hours of vacation by maid service with the privacy sign on the door, but we were interrupted by maid service- with the privacy sign- after we had paid an additional fee to have an extended check out time for our romantic winter vacation and not be interrupted. Not cool. The additional charges for the package should have been removed from the bill, and an apology from management would have been warranted.
It's great that the Inn allows pets, but I would consider their policy to be more "pet tolerant" than "pet friendly". Pets are not allowed in public areas, such as reception. It would be nice to be able to bring along the pooch while enjoying the views and coffee in the dining area during non-breakfast hours, or when using the public computer. The luxurious linens, duvets, and down comforters that I have come to expect at the Inn were replaced with "second string" linens and no down comforters. I understand the reasoning behind this change, but I did not anticipate a "down-graded" stay by bringing along the pooch, particularly with an additional pet fee. For these reasons, I would not recommend bringing along your furry family members if you want the full experience.
Make no mistake, the Inn on the Lake is a haven for families with children... bad news for couples seeking a romantic getaway The pool area is a zoo of kids all day and all night until the pool closes at 11, with an alleged small window of adult time from 10-11p. This is not enforced, and we were not pleased to find screaming kids cannon-balling into the pool well past 10pm. Our stay would have been better if the pool hours were extended until midnight, with an enforced "adults only" time from 10 to midnight. We would also have liked to see the breakfast hours extended on the weekends to 10:30 rather than 10. We were a few minutes late for breakfast one morning, and the breakfast staff is very punctual in regard to clean up at 10.
What happened to the Tazo Tea?
One of my favorite aspects of the Inn on the Lake is their attention to detail, and I particularly loved the complimentary Tazo Tea in the lobby. It was unique and made the Inn stand out as a place that felt like home and didn't overlook the little extras. The Tazo tea is gone and has been replaced with generic stuff.
Not to be too nit-picky, but the Inn has been cutting corners lately and it has not gone unnoticed by their regular guests. I love this place, and want to continue to love it and recommend it to my friends and family; but when it's the little things that I love, and the little things that are getting overlooked more and more often each time I come, I find myself being slightly more hesitant in recommending the Inn and booking a room for my stays in Duluth.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Indoor and year-round rooftop pools, complimentary hot breakfast bar, nightly campfires along Lake Superior with ooey-gooey S’mores, exceptional rooms and suites, 100% smoke free, private lake view balconies, free high-speed internet access, and beautiful conference facilities featuring foods from Savories Catering are among the luxurious extras setting the Inn on Lake Superior in Canal Park apart from other Duluth hotels. The only thing we overlook is the Lake. Reserve on-line today! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Priceline and getaroom.com so you can book your The Inn On Lake Superior reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Inn On Lake Superior Hotel Duluth
- Hotel On Lake Superior
- Lake Superior Inn
- On Lake Superior Duluth
- Lake Superior Hotel