New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

GreenLeadersBronze level
Lakeville, Minnesota
“Soccer Tournament weekend”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

This was a great choice for our team to stay at over this past weekend for Duluth soccer tournament. The location right on the lake is perfect. I had not spent time in Duluth before and definitely would go back. The evening smores is a nice touch and the girls really enjoyed that. The rooftop pool is heated and perfect, as was the morning breakfast which is in a huge kitchen area with plenty of room and seating indoors and out. The room was satisfactory far as clean and comfortable. Request the 3rd floor and spend a little more for a room with a balcony and or lakeview. I would even ask to have a room that has been updated, I believe they are in process of updating rooms, some have been done and some not. The room we had was on 3rd floor near the lighthouse side so you could hear very clearly that sounding off every few seconds all night long so that may be disruptive to some sleepers but did not phase us. The walls are VERY thin, you can hear the people next to you speaking so that is one complaint... While we were there we ate at a Mexican place next to Fitgers that was just OK, I probably would not go back there. We ate at Grandmas, that was just OK too. Next time I'd try the Bellisios italian place I have heard good things about and Pizza Luce. We also ate at the Canal brewery, some people's food was just OK, I had a burger and it was really good. I would recommend going here for a burger! They have a nice outdoor patio/fire seating area at Canal Brewery too. While in Duluth we took a trip to Spirit Mountain and went down their alpine slide, that was fun! Our trip to Duluth was a success, despite the crazy changes in weather so bring all seasons of attire! Far as The Inn on the lake, it was a good choice, I would go back!

Room Tip: 3rd floor, lakeview, ask for updated room!
Green Features: Nice to have the recycle bins in the rooms! We used the bins to dispose of our pop cans etc and appreciated that.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank JamLkvlMN
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at The Inn On Lake Superior, responded to this review, July 3, 2014
Dear JamLkvlMN,

Thanks for taking the time to write and post your fantastic and detailed review about your recent stay with us. I'm glad our service and accommodations met your needs and expectations. We appreciate you recognition of jobs well done by our team and hope we can serve you here again. We enjoy hosting all kinds of athletes and teams, because we find their spirit and camaraderie very inspiring. Please continue to know how we can make your stay more enjoyable the next time you are here.

Guest Relations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (353)
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

We have stayed at The Inn every summer for the past 8 years, and it has always been awesome. The location is perfect. The view (lake view is a must!) is amazing. The breakfast is an upgrade to traditional continentals, Tazo teas! The outdoor pool was 100 degrees, so great to be in on a foggy Duluth day. Top notch bike rentals(free!) Nightly s'mores on Lake Superior. Great customer service, no complaints!

Room Tip: Lake View for sure!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank matischer
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at The Inn On Lake Superior, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
Dear matischer,

Thank you for your many visits and wonderful review. We take a great deal of pride in our people and operations and endeavor to deliver a terrific experience to every guest. I'm glad you know you can count on us for a clean and comfortable stay and appreciate your kind words. We look forward to welcoming you back and serving you here the next time you are in Duluth.

Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

I stayed at the Inn and was very disappointed. We stayed on the ground level with a gorgeous view of the lake. When I got to the room, there were 2 dirty glasses sitting outside of the door. When I entered the room, it smelled very badly of air freshener. The bathroom and vanity were updated but everything else was very dated. The bedspread on both beds were very wrinkled and one had a very big stain on it. I know it is Minnesota, but was disappointed when I saw several mosquitoes and spiders in the room, before we had even opened the door to go outside. I had a very hard time sleeping there as it just didn't feel clean!
The next morning as we were getting breakfast (it was close to 10) and the person responsible for cleaning up, was doing so as we were trying to get breakfast. It was very rude! We weren't the only ones getting breakfast, but they didn't care. As we were dishing up, they were putting everything up in front of us.
My kiddos loved the Smores and the pool and the view is beautiful! It was a bummer that the room was very dirty!

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank luvtotravle
Dear luvtoreavle,

I am very sorry you were unhappy with us during your recent stay and offer my sincere apologies for the disappointment, discomfort and inconvenience you experienced here. Timely feedback from valued guests such as yourself is used to make improvements to our operation. We take it very seriously when we learn that we have failed our guests in any way. We would like to make amends and hope you will contact us via kenjacobs@zmchotels.com so we can discuss this further.

Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

This was the 3rd year of hosting a business conference at The Inn. Once again the staff was polite and friendly. They continue to update the property, so that it looks fresh. Having the breakfast option is wonderful, as it saves on travel costs.

Room Tip: Rooms on the lake side are nice.
Green Features: They provide separate, well marked bins for mixed product recycling.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear SueG5455,

Thank you very much for bringing your wonderful group back to us again this year, and for taking the time to write and post your nice review. We enjoy serving you here and hope we can welcome you back again next year.

Ramsey, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

I really enjoyed the overall stay. However when I scheduled the room I wasn't told about the room tax being so high adding an unexpected 70 dollars to the room price. The view, service, and location were great. I would recommend to a friend but would caution them on the room prices.

• Stayed June 2014
Dear Guest-jun2014,

Thank you for staying with us and posting your nice review. I'm sorry we didn't do a better job of explaining the tax charges for you prior to your arrival, and offer my apologies for the frustration and disappointment you experienced. I'll use your review in discussions and training to improve our operation, so that we don't make the same mistake again. I hope you will give us another chance to regain your trust on a future visit.

Eveleth, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

Way overpriced for what you receive! We booked a city view jacuzzi room and expected just that! What we got was a view of bushes and rooftop electrical boxes! The room is nothing special...jacuzzi which wasn't cleaned out and when we filled it with water.... hair chunks floated up-gross. After taking the time to clean it out, we decided to get in. Once in and enjoying the jets it started shorting out or something....The electricity in our room started flickering, we had to shut it off and just got out! The bathroom is very ugly and doesn't have a fan. The only good thing was the bikes available for use and playing bean bags by the lake. I would not pay to stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank Continue-Exploring
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at The Inn On Lake Superior, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Dear Continue-Exploring,

I am truly sorry you were unhappy with us during your recent stay and hope you will accept my sincere apologies for the discomfort, frustration and inconveniences you experienced here. We want all our guests to be thrilled they decided to stay with us and take it very seriously when we fail to deliver the best in service and accommodations, like we failed with you. We'd like the chance to make amends and hope you will contact me via kenjacobs@zmchotels.com at your convenience so we can discuss this personally. We value your business and your feedback, which we will use to improve our operation. I hope you will give us the opportunity to make this right and serve you again.

Coon Rapids, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

Have stayed at the Inn On Lake Superior several times and have never been disappointed. From the tremendous location in close proximity to sights, food and shopping, to the comfortable, clean rooms and attentive staff. Have always enjoyed a relaxed, worry free experience. I would not hesitate to recommend the Inn On Lake Superior to anybody with a Duluth stay in their future.

Room Tip: Strongly recommend lakeside rooms.
Green Features: I always appreciate any business that does more than talk about the environment. The Inn On Lake Superior is serious and walks the walk.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank braddman470
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at The Inn On Lake Superior, responded to this review, June 26, 2014
Dear braddman470,

Thanks for your many stays and for taking the time to write and post your first review about your experiences here. Everyone here really enjoys working hard to provide all our guests with the best service and accommodations in the Twin Ports, and we really appreciate your kind words and strong recommendation. We look forward to welcoming you back every time you are in Duluth.