“This place used to be amazing....”

The Inn On Lake Superior
Ranked #4 of 33 Hotels in Duluth
GreenLeadersBronze level
Albert Lea, Minnesota
“This place used to be amazing....”
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Just got back from staying at the Inn for 3 nights. Very different feeling here. The housekeeping staff is still very nice and helpful unfortunately that's about the best thing left here. The breakfasts aren't as good as they used to be in fact I thought they were pretty gross. Of course that could be because I ate a freakin egg shell that was left on a hard boiled egg. The staff at the desk could use some more training. The new rooms look good from far away but all white may be a poor choice because you can see everything left from past uses on the things that can't be washed daily. Also I thought it was very strange that 2 people (me and my guest) who do NOT have allergies and who have been coming to Duluth at least once a year for over thirty years and have stayed at the Inn every time for quite a few years now...could barely keep our eyes open in our room because they burned so bad. Had to go buy eye drops because it was getting out of control. I cleaned off the dirty air conditioning filters in hopes that it would get better....no such luck. And last but not least, we ran into someone visiting from our same town at the very same time who told us she had been scammed by phone call while in her room, someone claiming to be from front desk asking for her credit card number....turned out to be a scam. She told us when she notified actual front desk about it all they said was "it happens a lot there" WHAT?! Not saying I hate the Inn, only saying that was the worst visit I've ever had.

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank Chrissyolson
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at The Inn On Lake Superior, responded to this review, May 18, 2013
Thank you for your many stays with us and for taking the time to share your disappointment with your recent stay. I want to personally apologize for the frustration you experienced when the actions of the staff did not meet your expectations. We want our guests to be met with a well-trained staff that puts guest comfort and satisfaction before everything else. I am sorry that this was not your experience, and for your discomfort in your room and displeasure at breakfast. Please accept my sincere apologies. You can be confident that we will follow-up on your concerns so that others are not disappointed as you were. I hope you will give us an opportunity to regain your trust the next time you are in Duluth.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (392)
balsam lake, wi
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Wanted a last minute room in Duluth for Mother's Day weekend, was able to get a suite here at a great price. The room was very nice with view of the lake & lift bridge. The smores were a very nice touch, and the breakfast was wonderful! Would definately stay again!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank cabincake
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at The Inn On Lake Superior, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Thank you very much for staying with us and posting your wonderful review. I'm glad you were able to enjoy Mother's Day with us and appreciate your positive comments. We look forward to serving you here again.
Reviewed May 13, 2013

We have been staying at The Inn since 2003; enjoyed it very much and could not wait to return the next time. Everything was always great when we stayed(cleanliness,location,customer service). Am very disappointed in the fact that it turned into a No Pet Hotel. I can understand and can accept it but am very disappointed in how our previous reservation was handled. We made our reservation last year for the summer of 2013( we always made our reservation the year before for the next year)for a pet friendly room. The policy changed months afterwards to No Pets. Like I said I can respect that BUT I among other previous gets agree that changing the pet policy is ok but previous reservations made before the policy changed should have been honored. An email was sent but basically was taken as "OH WELL". Really sad that long time returning clients are thought of that way!!!

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank Laurierck
Thank you for your previous visits and comments about our pet policy change. We notified you last November when we made the policy change, and offered an alternative hotel that is pet friendly. I'm sorry there were some missed communications between us in February and sincerely apologize. We loved having pets stay with us and changing to not accepting them was disappointing for us, too. We are pleased that we are now allergen free, for the comfort of all our guests. We hope you will consider returning to us when you are not traveling with your four legged furry family member.
Lutsen, Minnesota
Reviewed May 8, 2013

We love this place. They really do it all right! This is our second stay there. Excellent breakfast, nice room with great amenities in a location that cannot be beat. Everyone we met was friendly and very professional. For a hotel type of place (which we normally think of as ordinary) this place is excellent. My only reason for a 4 star rating is that one of our coffee mugs was dirty--still had leftover soup crumbs in it....

Room Tip: Best Rooms are on lake side
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at The Inn On Lake Superior, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Thank you very much for your return visit and nice review. I am so sorry that our team didn't do a better job of cleaning the coffee mug, and hope you will accept my apologies. I will use your experience in discussions and training to improve our operation so this does not recur. I hope you will give us another chance to serve you and earn your trust in the future.
shakapeee
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Great place to stay. We went into a clean friendly hotel. This smores were good and the breakfast was great!!! The outdoor pool on the roof was very warm and great!!! The staff were always happy to assist us in anyway!!! My family has been coming to this hotel for 10 years and we always will be coming back! They do need to get the smokers Out of the Entrance. But that's the only problem everything else was great!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Get Lakeside on 2 or 3 floor!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at The Inn On Lake Superior, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Thanks so much for your loyalty and lovely review. I am so glad you know you can count on us for a comfortable stay, with the best in accommodations and service. I'm sorry about the smokers, and will make every effort to keep our entrances smoker free. We love welcoming you back and look forward to seeing you again soon.
Duluth, Minnesota
Reviewed April 27, 2013

This was an excellent hotel. Great breakfast, clean, access to Lake Superior boardwalk and view of the Lake, shops within walking distance. I especially appreciated the proximity to everything. I parked my car when I got here and never used it yet. Staying Friday and Saturday nights. When you first walk in the lobby you see a nice picture window of Lake Superior. So beautiful.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Wendy H
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at The Inn On Lake Superior, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to write and post your review of your recent visit. We know you have many choices when it comes to lodging, and we sincerely appreciate your business. Its people like you who make our jobs of providing the highest standards of cleanliness, service and facilities very rewarding. I'm glad we exceeded your expectations and look forward to serving you again on your next visit.
Cloquet, Minnesota
Reviewed April 24, 2013

The hotel is great. It has a nice location right on Lake Superior in Canal Park in Duluth MN. They have direct access to the lake waik, offer free smores over the fire in the evenings and a very good continental breakfast.
The pool area is nice and big with a very large hottub. The best though is the heated rooftop pool. The first night we were there it was snowing and the pool was still nice and warm. In the morning we had recieved about 4 inches of snow and went out to find the front and back window of every car in their lot had been cleared of the snow. Great place to stay!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at The Inn On Lake Superior, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and posting your wonderful remarks, which I have shared with our staff. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and appreciate your recognition of jobs well done by our team. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.