“Check out the "dungeon" downstairs! :)”
Review of Tycoons - CLOSED

Tycoons
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 13, 2012

I stopped in Tycoons for a drink on a recent visit to Duluth and fell in love with its atmosphere. The restaurant was once the old City Hall building and has been converted into a very inviting place to dine and listen to live music (great little stage right by the front window!).

While having my drink I learned about a little known "secret" to this lovely restaurant: The downstairs "dungeon"! You take the elevator down to floor -1 (yes, negative 1) and you find yourself in the basement, where the jails used to be, now transformed into a quaint, candlelit, beautiful lounge area. As of the writing of this review, they only serve appetizers downstairs and not the full menu, but I was told the plan is to eventually have the full menu served there as well.

My visit to this charming venue was a short one, I was on my way to a show so i did not have anything off the menu except my martini-but the drink was delicious, and from what I could see, the food looks VERY tasty and I will definitely return on my next visit to Duluth for a longer evening at Tycoons.

Reviewed August 13, 2012

We'll be back. The atmosphere is fresh and new in a great historic building. Service was jiffy quick and our food and brews were really tasty. Perfect restaurant for both out-of-towners and locals. Keep up the good work!

Reviewed July 30, 2012

As a GM of a local hotel, I am always looking for a great place to send guests for a great meal. When ever I have visiting VIPs, I take them to Tycoons for a yummy and fun place to eat and see what Duluth is like. Staff are friendly, and the Ruben sandwich is my favorite. I love that it is in the old police building.

Reviewed July 24, 2012

We often stay in Canal Park and usually end up at one of the restaurants there. Venturing into downtown Duluth and finding Tycoons was a very nice change. The building and inside decor is very old world, like stepping back in time into a ritzy hotel lobby. The staff was very friendly and our waiter knew his stuff. The lunch menu was mostly salads, sandwiches and burgers. We were looking for burgers. The half pound burger is offered in many variations, from plain to fancy. There is a vegetarian wild rice burger also offered in 2 variations. We ordered both beef and veggie burgers and I have to say that our burgers were excellent, possibly the best burgers we've had. There is a variety of side choices - salad, thin or thick fries or cottage cheese along with a couple of upgrade options. We agreed the generous serving of thin fries were the best. The beer served here is from Fitger's Brewhouse, which is always good. If you're looking for beer and a burger, don't miss Tycoons!

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Tycoons is a nice addition to the Duluth restaurant scene. The renovated city hall has a new/old feel with several floors to explore. We had dinner on the main level. The menu is not overly large, but contains enough choices to keep everyone happy. The burgers are very good, as is the Mac n Cheese. The service was very good without being bothersome. They offer Fitgers Brewhouse beers, which are very solid, especially the Apricot Wheat. However, no visit to Tycoons is complete without going down to Rathskellers on the -1 Level for a before or after dinner beer/cocktail. The old jailhouse has been renovated to create a unique cave-like lounge, complete with the original stone walls. No T.V.'s, just a place for conversation in comfortable chairs and an even bigger beer selection. Make sure you try the unique hefeweizen offering from Munich,