“Didn't get to stay.”

Ranked #12 of 33 Hotels in Duluth
Winnipeg, Canada
“Didn't get to stay.”
Reviewed August 22, 2011

I travel quite frequently and usually stay at Country Inns. This particular time I was traveling with my pets (2 cats - completely declawed and in a cage and my dog). I called the hotel more than a week before my stay to make sure they were pet-friendly. I specifically told the guest services representative the number and type of animals I would be bringing. She didn't say a word and just told me I would be charged a $25 fee for the pets. I accepted and booked the room. When I arrived, she took out my reservation and I reminded her that it was for a pet-friendly room, which she acted unaware of. She gave me a standard list of rules for pet rooms for me to sign. As I was reading it, I noticed it specifically said cats were not allowed. I reminded her that I had 2 cats. Before I even finished my sentence, she had whipped the paper out of my hand and promptly told me I would not be allowed to stay. I was shocked at her bluntness and continued to remind her that I was told on the phone that it wasn't a problem. Turns out she was the exact person I had booked my reservation with and was denying any such thing was said. I became increasingly unimpressed with her rudeness, considering I had just traveled 10 hours with 3 pets and now had nowhere to stay. Having worked in a hotel for 3 years myself, I understand these types of problems. However, she did nothing to try and resolve it. I finally asked her if she could at least tell me where I could go that would accept pets. She disappeared for a few minutes and while I was waiting I looked around and saw groups of kids (10-14 years olds) running around the lobby and making noise (this was at 9 in the evening). I didn't understand how my 2 cats in their cage would be any more of a bother than this nonsense happening in the lobby. I also didn't understand why I got treated the way I did, while these kids had free reign of the hotel. I used to love Country Inns and their hospitality, but after this experience, I will stay elsewhere. I ended up at a competitor down the street and luckily grabbed one of their very last rooms. The front desk representative there was completely understanding and actually cheered me up from my bad experience at Country Inn and Suites Duluth South.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank SLMtrav

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
STP
Reviewed August 1, 2011

Room and bath were clean and quiet and the bed was comfortable. Staff was pleasant and helpful. Not downtown Duluth, but some rooms on upper floors may have a lake view. Free wireless in rooms. There was a decent assortment of breakfast items offered, but get there first in busy weekends: out of sausage links, out of yogurt, out of biscuits and/or gravy. Coffee is available 24 hrs, but ran out of doughnut holes & cookies. Some spots on the carpet and visible scuffs on the walls and doors - not yet beyond normal wear and tear. One unusual complaint - the toilet seat was smaller than the toilet. Asked about two room suites and was told they were for "extended stay" only.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Connecticut
Reviewed August 1, 2011

I told the front desk staff upon check in that i am a light sleeper and would like the back of the hotel. The front of the hotel is on Interstate 35. She failed to mention there are trains going by hourly directly behind the hotel or there is a large construction project behind the hotel and they would begin loudly moving rocks early in the morning.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank 2462skiing
CISDuluth, General Manager at Best Western Plus Spirit Mountain Duluth, responded to this review, August 17, 2011
On behalf of the entire staff here at the Country Inn & Suites we apologize for the concerns you ahve abotu your experience at our hotel. The road construction behind our hotel that you encountered during your stay has been completed. We appreciate the feedback and will use it to fine tune our operations in the hope that upon your next visit, we can meet or exceed your expectations.
Wisconsin
Reviewed July 27, 2011

Previous reviews had been both positive and negative, so we were a bit apprehensive. After staying, though, we think some folks are waaay too picky. We found this hotel to be just excellent, from the chocolate chip cookies to the cleanliness of the room. NO negative issues. Okay, one... the entry door near our room didn't close properly. Guess what? As we were leaving the next morning, two men were working on that door! Would we stay there again? Absolutely!

Room Tip: Our room was on the front (highway) side. We had no issues with traffic noise.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
artisticgal
Reviewed June 5, 2011

We stayed here on our way up north to visit family, and while the room and service were great the noise level was on the high side.

The good:
Great location
Wonderful staff
Nice rooms
Nice pool area
Very welcoming lobby
Has ski lockers out front
Nice breakfast with a very large selection

The bad:
The hotel is located less then a 100 yards from train tracks this may bother some but not others. It bothered my spouse but not me
We could hear our neighbors on both sides

Room Tip: The rooms facing the front of the hotel are best
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
CISDuluth, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Spirit Mountain Duluth, responded to this review, June 28, 2011
We appreciate you taking the time to comment on your stay with us.

On behalf of our entire staff here at the Country Inns & Suites we would like to thank you for your business and we hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to the area!

Guest Services Manager
Country Inns & Suites Duluth South
218-628-0668
Rochester, MN
Reviewed May 26, 2011

We recently stayed here in the 1 bedroom suite with 2 small children. The entry room with the couch and tv separated from the bedroom was a nice fit for our family.

My daughter throughly enjoyed the pool area and we thought the breakfast was adequate (especially liked the yogurt with add-your-own strawberries/blueberries/granola/etc) The eggs and sausage could use some upgrading however (extremely dry). Even the hard-boiled eggs seemed dry which was surprising.

The sign in the bathroom about the hotel charging you for towels/etc if you take them seemed a bit unnecessary. Did not like signing initials in 3 different spots on checkin.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Thunder Bay, Canada
Reviewed April 19, 2011

We were very pleased with our choice to stay here. It was our first time in this hotel chain. The room we chose was a king suite and it had a couch and chair in a separate living area, and a microwave and fridge. The breakfast was really great with WAY more food choices than the usual hotel we stay at. Lovely having waffles and gourmet coffee in the morning, not to mention ham or sausages! Our only complaint was the first night there was a lot of noise in the hallway. I called the front desk twice, because I had been unable to sleep all night. I had a reduction of my bill for that night, but would really have preferred it to have been quiet all night and not had that issue. I feel as though hotels should have regular security checks and listen for noisy party people, especially after a complaint. Why should anyone have to call twice? The noise issue wasn't the fault of the hotel, and they tried to help immediately after I called. The second night was quiet, and I slept well.
Another nice little perk is the cookies available at all times. I joined the club to collect points, and liked this hotel so much that I will seek out the Country Inn and Suites hotel wherever I travel!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
CISDuluth, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Plus Spirit Mountain Duluth, responded to this review, May 2, 2011
We appreciate the feedback and will use it to fine tune our operations.

Sincerly,