“Swill Bucket--Worst Mexican Restaurant We've Ever Been To”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Mexico Lindo

Mexico Lindo
Ranked #118 of 254 Restaurants in Duluth
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Scenic view, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Champlin Minnesota
“Swill Bucket--Worst Mexican Restaurant We've Ever Been To”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014

In all my years of using TA I've never pulled out my professional card but will do so this time to substantiate this review. I've been a food professional developing recipes and writing cookbooks for over 25 years and my husband has been in the foodservice and restaurant business also over 25 years. We're not food snobs. We can enjoy a great casual dining experience and love our Egg McMuffins, but this place serves sub-standard quality food and had some questionable food safety standards in a dirty venue at that. The couple we were with highly recommended it and it was one of those uncomfortable social situations in which you can't say too much.

First tip-off? We were immediately seated at 7 pm on a very busy Friday night for the city---most of the hotels were booked solid. The restaurant was more than half empty. The chips and salsa arrived shortly and the chips were stale. The food arrived too quickly making me wonder how long it had been pre-made and sitting. It also arrived just warm. My two beef enchiladas were two corn tortillas filled with almost plain fried ground beef and topped with a red sauce and no cheese. On the side was a very bland rice and lukewarm refried beans topped with probably 2 teaspoons of white cheese. The meal was void of flavor except for the lye flavor of the the corn tortillas. My husband had the mixed fajitas. No distinct beef, chicken or shrimp pieces were noticeable---it was more like a pile of over-cooked mush with a few pieces of bell pepper and onions. However there was a lot of it, and at the bottom of the cast-iron skillet was about 1/4-inch oil. The side flour tortillas were also stale. The other couple had a taco salad which looked like a standard Taco Bell taco salad in a fried tortilla bowl and the other entree was a combination platter. The waiter was friendly and prompt. He did apologize for the way they serve wine, which my husband had ordered, which was served in short highball glasses, because he said, "we don't serve much wine here so we don't have wine glasses." We ordered fried ice cream for dessert and this came straight from the freezer, not the deep-fat fryer. The so-called "fried" coating was sodden and soggy and unpleasantly chewy with no flavor. The ice cream was hard as a rock. The place wasn't clean either. We've been to many chain Mexican restaurants all over and to many mom and pop Mexican restaurants all over, and never have we had such poor quality food with so little flavor. There was a reason so few people were there on a busy Friday night in Duluth! Now we know and won't return.

• Visited January 2014
6 Thank foxml

Rochester, Minnesota
“Very good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

I have been here several times and am never dissapointed. The menu is huge so there is difinitely something for everyone. Everything I have tried has been good and there service is always propt and helpful.

Visited November 2013
Esko, Minnesota, United States
“One of my Favorite Restaurants in town!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2013

Authentic Mexican food!! If you have ever been to Mexico and are looking for a taste of it back home this is the place for you! I've always had great food. Love the free hot chips and salsa. It has really great drinks and decent prices. You get alot for your money!

• Visited August 2013
Duluth, Minnesota
“A nice quick stop.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013

This was a random family get together. There was seating for 6 of us and something for all of our picky tastes. The staff was friendly.

• Visited November 2012
California
“bad food, tired facility”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013

Food was bad-even the chips! Lots of wear and tear/poor maintenance. I had the carnitas, it was buried in onions. Got the cheese dip, my daughter said "It tastes just like velveeta!"

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank socaliforniamom

Been to Mexico Lindo? Share your experiences!