WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #31 of 33 Hotels in Duluth
Thunder Bay, Canada
“Xmas Shopping Trip' 13”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2013

First off, I want to say, I have worked in the hotel industry for about 5 years, both front desk and housekeeping. Anywhere I stay; I always enter a room and strip everything, from the bathroom to the beds. (Always gotta keep an eye out for bedbugs!!) I checked the mattress/box spring, underneath it, behind it. I checked behind the dressers and nightstand, in and out. The bedding and linens were clean, no hair/stains. Beds were newer and weren't sagging or stained. The carpeting needs to be replaced by the heater however, as there were visible waterstains.

Also, I like the fact that there were security guards present during the night, I seen them doing their rounds, while I was outside smoking. Sure, this hotel is basic, but it was clean, and for $65.00 a night for 3 adults, who cares there isn't a pool or breakfast. I had no run-ins with any sketchy people, nor did I hear anyone at night; even when I came back from the casino around 2:30am. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: The hotel staff were pleasant, even at 2:30am, when I was asking for extra towels and blankets. I st...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank VQueue

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Iron River, Wisconsin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

A sign informing you that the hotel regularly shares their guest list with the Duluth Police Department welcomes you at this West Duluth, pet friendly Motel 6. I'm not sure if that's supposed to make you feel safe or not. Needless to say, we weren't impressed. Check-in took extra long but we were told multiple times that's because management doesn't staff the desk with enough people. There was literally a line about 8 people deep when we checked in. There also seemed to be issues with rooms being clean/check-in was taking extra long because he didn't know if the rooms were ready or not. The hotel is in serious need of updates. But, given it was fall peak and one of the few places available that took dogs, we were willing to overlook the lackluster amenities for our $100 plus stay. However, it just kept getting worse. Once inside our room, we discovered that wifi was $2.99 per night. A crappy corporate policy that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. When my husband went to take a quick shower before dinner, we discovered the showerhead was broken. That night... as temperatures dipped into the mid 30s, we learned our heater was broken. The mattress was horribly uncomfortable but I'd somewhat expect that in a cheap hotel. The only upside was that when we asked for an extra pillow, the staff provided two. The other benefit is no free breakfast which justifies eating at the Duluth Grill, which is within spitting distance of the hotel. When we checked out, we mentioned the issues... the front desk staff clearly didn't care. They wrote nothing down, asked no questions, and sort of did the nod and yeah sure we'll get on that. My husband suggested they not check the room out again and well, the smirk on his face said the room would be rented out again well before it was fixed. I'm all about a good deal but when a chain gets so many things wrong and still charges $100+, well I'm less than impressed. I shared my experience afterwards via a survey and their response was even worse. They clearly just don't care about the customer experience.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank NorthernWisconsin
Motel6, Public Relations Manager at Motel 6 Duluth, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Dear Northern Wisconsin,
Thank you for posting your review. We apologize for your unpleasant stay you and the poor guest service you encountered, and we encourage you to contact our guest relations department so they can have a record of your experience to help us provide you and other guests with better service in the future: 1-800-577-3435.

Travelers are raving about these Duluth hotels

Champlin, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

So if you are looking for no frills but inexpensive and good location this is an ok place. For some reason Duluth was booked solid (uless you wanted to pay over $200 per night) except for this, but it was fine. All I really need is clean and safe which it was. It also has a good location off the freeway, good reasonably priced food next door, inexpensive gas station also next door. For $2 more I even had a refrigerator for my beer and pop, something I could not get in a $500 room in Manhattan. Don't get me wrong, this is not the taj. But it was ok, and given the family emergency I was in town for, more than met the needs. Course it helps that my expections were already pretty low.

Room Tip: spend the extra $2 to get a refrigerator.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Richard F
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

Horrible staff, dirty and extremely outdated facility. Only had smoking rooms which was disgusting. A horrible spot to stay in for Duluth. Beds were old and the sheets and comforters were stained. No amenities whatsoever. Even the wifi was 2.99 per night. Expensive for such a horrible stay.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Kaiden W
Motel6, Public Relations Manager at Motel 6 Duluth, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear Kaiden W
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. The cleanliness and service conditions you encountered are not consistent with our standards for quality at Motel 6, and we sincerely apologize for your unpleasant stay. Please kindly contact our Guest Relations department so they can have a record of your experience to help us provide you and our other guests with better service in the future: 1-800-577-3435.
Madison, Wisconsin, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013

I made a three-day reservation through Orbitz, but my buddy had also made reservations for another hotel for Friday night. I cancelled the reservation through Orbitz, but then made a single day reservation to cover Saturday only. On Saturday morning, a room became available at the hotel we were staying at, so we drove to the Motel 6 to cancel in-person. Done. But, wait - they charged me anyway! No proof, so I got stuck with the credit card charge.

Not happy! ...Mac

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mac M
Motel6, Public Relations Manager at Motel 6 Duluth, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Dear Mac,
Our sincerest apologies for your cancellation charges. Please contact our guest relations department and give them your Orbitz confirmation number and they should be able to help you get a refund. 1-800-577-3435
Saint Paul, MN
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

Very convenient location on the trip north and next to an excellent diner, The Duluth Grill, which serves local, organic food.
Our room was clean enough, and we had no complaints about the service, but this is a pretty bare bones operation, even by Motel 6 standards. However, it is SO easy to turn off the expressway, spend the night and have an excellent breakfast the next day before heading on that we might use this place again. Just keep your expectations in check.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Kingston, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013

I would not stay here but we had no choice. We were traveling cross-country on a Saturday night and we couldn't find anything available. Because it was late and we were headed west, there didn't seem to be much available west or south of us and we had just come from the east. As you look at this hotel from the street, trust your judgement. We actually went back two times and the choice was there or sleep in the car. This place was not clean or comfortable.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Peg J
Motel6, Owner at Motel 6 Duluth, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear PegJ,
Thank you for posting your review. We apologize for the unpleasant stay you had in our Duluth location. Please kindly contact our guest relations department so they can have a record of your experience to help us provide you and our other guests with better service in the future: 1-800-577-3435.