“The MOST basic Motel 6” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #32 of 34 Hotels in Duluth
Washburn, Wisconsin
“The MOST basic Motel 6”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

What can I say? The cost was cheap, but I've never been in a more basic Motel 6 in my whole life. The general area is run down, but didn't appear dangerous. The reception area is decorated by a fake tree, behind the reception desk. Staff was nice and gave me a smoking room on the 2nd floor, as I requested. After driving around to the parking area nearest the entrance, lugging my suitcase and take-out dinner up the stairs, I found the room I was given had not been cleaned from the previous guest. I called reception who told me to come back to reception & get a new key. So, down the stairs, again lugging my suitcase & dinner, drove my car around to reception, got a new key & requested a 1st floor room this time. Although I did request a smoking room, both hallways were full of smoke. If you are not a smoker, definitely find another motel to stay at.
My room was relatively "clean", although once feeling the rug on my barefeet I put my socks back on. No decorations on the walls. Small countertop TV. No microwave or coffee maker. 2 towels, 1 wash cloth, 1 bar of soap. The chair was so wobbly I didn't dare try to sit on it. There's only 1 ice machine in the motel. So, if you want ice you go to your room, get the bucket, & go all the way back to the reception area. The only thing good I can say about the room is the water in the shower was hot & had good pressure.
Next time I'll pay the extra $20+ and stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Although my room was in the back of the motel very near to I-35 I really didn't hear much road n...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Cheryl H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Cloquet, Minnesota, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

i rented a room, got there late so i asked the 2 people driving me to sit an relax for a little while before they had to leave and we were there about a half an hour and security came up to my room and told me i had to register an pay for any extra people...i told him they were not staying that it was a long trip so they were gonna relax before heading back and he said we would all have to leave if i didnt register them.. so i went to the lobby and asked for my money back to go get a room at the black bear casino and they said no! so i had to pay an extra $20.00 for a room that only cost $39.99!!! i was very UN-HAPPY!!!

Room Tip: I not stay here EVER again..the black bear casino & resort is only 15 mins down the hwy.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars

Travelers are raving about these Duluth hotels

Thunder Bay, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I agree with a previous review that for $46.00 a night you get what you pay for. The room we had was non-smoking and although there was a cigarette smell in the hallway our room was fine. The room and bed were clean and there was lots of hot water for a shower. We stayed two nights and had no problems with noise or the area that the motel is located in. The hotel does show some wear but I've seen some in worse shape. We would stay there again with no hesitation.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank akaent
Grass Valley, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

For $39 to $45 you get what you pay for. Rooms were a bit chilly with no real blankets to speak of - I guess you're supposed to HTFU if you're in Duluth. Beds were not that comfortable but clean and carpeted floor was disgusting. Location is bordering on shady if you are used to the burbs.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Allen, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I had originally planned to stay at another place in town, but when I saw my arrival time shift into the evening, I decided to save some money. I arrived in after dark and left before the sun was up, so I didn't need any thrills. The hotel shows some wear, but I seen worse. The bed was comfortable and the internet ($3 dollar fee) was quick enough. I didn't hear any road noise, but I live on a busier road.

Room Tip: There is no elevator, so if you have a lot of luggage request a first floor room.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Cincinnati, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

I was not comfortable and did not feel safe. Police were called by another patron while I was in the lobby. It was literally the only available hotel room in Duluth! Hindsite is 20/20. I should have booked earlier elsewhere.

Room Tip: Paid $3.25 for internet access
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PastorJeff
Clarissa, MN
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

If you don't mind stairs, or not waking up to sirens...No coffee pot or blow dryer in the room, and the beds are close to the floor! Cramped space around the bed on the wall side...carpet is in fair condition, ripped screens on windows. They do offer coffee in the registration area. It was fairly quiet, but the location is not so great and the missing 'perks' of a 'normal' motel really wasn't worth it. I rated "service" as average because we only asked for towels and did get them. We won't stay here again,

Room Tip: Don't bother
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family