“Never Again” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #32 of 34 Hotels in Duluth
Minnesota
“Never Again”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2007

The motel is very dirty. the bed was itchy and then I found out it had bed bugs one week ago. I asked for another room and was told that they could not move me do to being under staffed. I will never go back I would have had a better nights sleep in the car. Next time I go to Duluth I will stay some where else.

• Liked — guest laundry
  • Disliked — no comment
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank moon001star

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
ezyd23
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2007

This hotel costs $32.99/night on the internet when I stayed on 10/27/2007. This hotel is cheap, and the reason I stayed here, but I would probably pay a little more next time. Here is the scoop.

The motel is very plain; no exercise room or pool. the only extra appeared to be a laundry room.

The room TV is a only a '13 analog. However, they do have a decent selection of channels.

This Motel 6 does not have internet access. There is also no wireless internet access to a nearby business, at least not on the south side facing Burger King and Holiday.

The motel has a dirty feel to it because it is in an industrial part of Duluth and they have a pet friendly policy.

The showers are squeaky and grimy looking, so bring your own flip-flops My bedding had cigarette burn marks and felt very itchy, so I had a hard time sleeping.

If you do stay at Motel 6 Duluth I would recommend that you bring your own alarm clock, bedding, and toilettes. If you forget toilettes, you can purchase them in a vending machine near the front desk.

Happy Travels

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — Worst hotel I ever stayed in
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank ezyd23

Travelers are raving about these Duluth hotels

Midwest, USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2007

The woman at the front desk was rude. My group was not allowed to check in until after 4 p.m. after waiting around for about an hour. This made us late for the our engagement that afternoon.
Later, we found out one of the beds did not have sheets. When a call was placed to the front desk the employee was very rude.
The comforters were very dirty. I was afraid of bed bugs. All for over $90 a room.
If you have to spend more money somewhere else, do it. This was the worst hotel experience of my life.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank 1CoolDude
Midwest
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2006

Got into town late at night and didn't want to spend a lot for a short evening's sleep. We were planning to find another hotel the next night anyway to be closer to family. My friend has stayed at Motel 6 chains across the country and wanted to head to this one. When we pulled into the parking lot, there were two police cars there. As we walked into the lobby, a cop walked out to one of the cars. So I felt a little nervous about staying there. It's not the most picturesque location, and I didn't know anything about the neighborhood it's in. But we stayed anyway since we weren't going to be there long.

The only room we could get was a smoking room, and it sure did smell like it. Towels were as thin and rough as possible. No alarm clock, as someone else has mentioned. I noticed some of the doors to other rooms looked in rough shape as I walked down the hall (like bent back from the frame). We didn't have any problems though, and it was quiet where we were. Room was basically clean, other than the smoke smell. I don't need the Ritz (and can't afford it), but this is pretty darn basic. Ok for a crashing a few hours on the road, but I hope to never have to stay here again.

• Liked — Nothing bad happened to us
  • Disliked — Felt a little sketchy, horrible towels, no alarm clock
  • Tips/Secrets — You can probably do better elsewhere
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with friends
3 Thank bad_driver
Minneapolis, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2006

First off, i did not book the Motel 6 expecting a stellar stay in a hotel full of amenities. But for $92 a night, you get a bed and a shower at a price that would offer you something more in better hotels. They didn't even have an alarm clock or a clock in general in the room!!

The service was terrible. I was in Duluth for a wedding that began at 3. I called that morning at 11:30 to see about early check-in, thinking maybe someone checked out early and they could get me in early so I could change there at the hotel and not have to drive 2.5 hours in a suit. They said no, without even checking the computer. A rude "No." They said I'd have to wait till 3 to check in.

Well, we got into Duluth and pulled in to the Motel 6 lot at about 2:30. Surely, they could check us in 30 minutes early, right? No. So I asked if they had a space to change into our clothes for the wedding. She said no. We had to rush to change in the parking lot of the Motel 6!! If that wasn't bad enough, she came out and asked us not to change in their parking lot because of how it might look? Where would we go?

After the ceremony, we come to check in. It's now 3:45. A different woman tells us the room is not quite ready yet. "Wait 15 minutes." I checked back 20 minutes later. Not ready yet. I didn't get to get into the room until 4:45, which meant we were late for the reception dinner at 5.

Once in, I asked if we could get an iron. She said they didn't have any. A hotel with no iron??

The room was plain, which was fine. I only wanted a bed, and AC because it was hot.

My biggest problem is the treatment and the absolute unwillingness on their part to meet my needs, which I thought were not too much. Pretty simple request for a wedding-goer. Considering how much hotels make on weddings, most hotels I've stayed at have at least had staff who tried to get me in early even if it turned out they couldn't. I have a hard time believing no one checked out early and a room couldn't be fixed up for a guest in a bind. They didn't even look to see if they could do it. Just rudely said checkin was 3 p.m. And then they can't get me in till 4:30.

Pay $20 more and avoid this mistake. Duluth is too nice a town to let this terrible operation ruin your visit.

• Liked — easy access to I-35. no chance of getting lost
  • Disliked — unhelpful staff, late check-in.
  • Tips/Secrets — avoid Motel 6 Duluth
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank mntoathens
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2006

Over the years I've found Motel 6 to be a consistent value. They're virtually always clean, reasonably priced and comfortable but nothing fancy and no amenities at all. This is no different. Having stayed at the Duluth Motel 6 several times the prices vary according to the time of year and I've paid from $38/night to $48/night. There's no view of the lake and the tv is technically "cable" but it's only the local television stations brought in on a cable. There's no expanded cable such as ESPN, CNN, or anything like that. Just the local television affiliates, ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, WB & PBS, so TV is not good for a tv watcher like me. There's no premium channels like HBO or anything. However it is an improvement from the days when Motel 6 charged $.75/night extra for B&W TV! It's close to fast food and a restaurant or two. It's not the greatest part of town but it's OK. There's not a lot of parking for the number of rooms. Rooms are good sized, especially for the price. No coffee, microwave, refrigerator or anything in room, but usually they'll have a pot in the office for a couple of hours in the morning with the smallest styrofoam cups I've ever seen! But all in all, it's a good value for a night's sleep. It's certainly not a relax and vacation room, nor is it a romantic surrounding. Arrive, watch the news, sleep and move on, or if you're spending the day touring the many attractions in the area, you'll find Motel 6 a good value. My next trip there, I plan to check out some of the other motels in the area that are comparably priced and at least have a lake view. I've stayed at better places and worse places but Motel 6 is consistent and clean so I usually will go for one when I just look for a night's sleep.

Stayed August 2005
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Bemidji, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2005

Staying here several times, this is a great spot to stay if you're looking to be close to downtown. They are really nice, clean, quiet...and CHEAP! A good restraunt is next door, and you're two minutes from Canal Park .. without the price!

9 Thank Northpines