“Very disappointing”

Ranked #7 of 33 Hotels in Duluth
Grand Forks, United States
“Very disappointing”
Reviewed May 30, 2014

This hotel is very noisy. You can hear every single step the people above you take and I could hear guests inside rooms not even adjacent to mine. The air conditioning was loud and inefficient - I had to set it to 60 to be comfortable. The breakfast room got very crowded unless you showed up early and some of the other guests actually wore their pajamas. I will admit it's a fantastic location - beautiful views and walking distance to restaurants.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo

Janet S, Manager at Hampton Inn Duluth, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on your recent stay. I apologize your room and air conditioner were loud. You didn't comment whether you had contacted the front desk to have these issues taken care of. For the air conditioner we certainly could have had maintenence fix it or replace it. As for the breakfast area being crowded I certainly understand. When we have alot of families it can get very busy. I'm sorry if you were not able to find a seat during breakfast. We do offer several options for seating, including the use of the meeting room right off the lobby. We try very hard to accomodate all of our guests needs and requests. I can not apologize enough that your stay was less than satisfactory. I appreciate your having stayed with us and I hope you will give us another chance to help you enjoy your next visit to Duluth.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Rosemount, Minnesota
Reviewed May 29, 2014

On an annual basis, my wife and I stay at this hotel for the North Shore Inline Marathon. The hotel is always clean when we arrive and the rooms are always clean as well. The location right in the heart of Canal Park allows walking distance to plenty of restaurants and bars. The breakfast area is also a great feature compared to plenty of other hotels including some of the high end ones. If you want a nice hotel for a relatively affordable price, the Hampton Inn - Canal Park is an excellent option.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Janet S, Manager at Hampton Inn Duluth, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Thank you for the wonderful review! We try very hard to make sure every guest knows to expect a clean, comfortable room and a warm welcome. Thank you for staying with us!
Glendale, Arizona
Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

Good thing you don't want to stay in your room much when you are on the North Shore. The location on Canal Park is great, and the hotel clean and updated, but we felt like we were staying in a closet. The room was noisy, too but because of the location on first floor next to everything. The free breakfast was very nice. I would return, but I would make sure weather would allow us to be out as much ad possible.

• Stayed May 2014
Janet S, Manager at Hampton Inn Duluth, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
I'm glad you enjoyed visiting Duluth. I apologize you felt our rooms were smaller than expected. At the time we were built we did follow Hampton standards for room size. I agree with you that Duluth is not a place you want to be sitting around in doors. There is just to much to see and do even on a rainy day. Thank you for your review!
Houston, United States
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Stayed here for business trip. Very friendly and helpful staff. Hotel is located right on lake with excellent views. Many local restaurants nearby. Would stay here again. That's it - i have no other comments but trying to get to 200 characters so i can submit this!! HOpe this does it!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Janet S, Manager at Hampton Inn Duluth, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
You did it! Your review made it! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your stay in Duluth. Now come back and see us again!
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed May 25, 2014

We stayed here because our daughter graduated from the University of MN - Duluth. The breakfast area overlooks Lake Superior and you can walk out from the breakfast area, to the pathway along the lake, Duluth Lakewalk. The breakfast was better than most, with both hot and cold items. Across from the parking lot is a Caribou coffee (which I need each morning). This is a perfect location in Canal Park, where you can walk to restaurants, shops, the Lake Superior Maritime Museum, Bayfront Festival Park, and the Great Lake Aquarium. The room was nice and I liked the fact our windows opened for fresh air. I'd recommend this hotel because of its great location.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Lakeville, Minnesota
Reviewed May 15, 2014

The staff at this hotel does an outstanding job making your visit enjoyable! From the time we walked in until we departed this team's efforts made our stay a positive experience! Excellent location of this hotel- walk out and enjoy Lake Superior and Canal Park! You are walking distance to a variety of shops and eating places (including the nearby Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory store).

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

New York City, New York
Reviewed May 14, 2014

Outstanding. You get much more than you pay for.

This is the nicest Hampton Inn I've ever stayed in. Hampton Inn is already a cut above most motels. I understood from talking to a front desk clerk that the owners built this motel from the ground up. It was original enough that I thought it had been refurbished from an already existing hotel; apparently, I was mistaken.

Staff was exceptionally friendly and responsive. The room had high ceilings and was as clean as more expensive hotels.

Based on my experience, you wouldn't go wrong choosing this as your place in Duluth.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Janet S, Manager at Hampton Inn Duluth, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
Thank you! That was a wonderful review. One of the reasons I enjoy working for Hampton so much is their high standards for cleaning and staff interaction with guests. It is our guests that make our jobs so easy and fun. We love when we have time to chat and get to know them.