“Disappointed” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 34 Hotels in Duluth
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

We recently spent 3 nights at the hotel and to be completely honest I left with mixed feelings.

There were many positives:

The room was spacious

The bed was comfortable

The view of the lake was outstanding

Plenty choice for breakfast

Fresh cookies each afternoon

Free bottled water in the morning

Quiet indoor pool and hot tub

Unfortunately there were a number of negatives:

Upon booking only ADA rooms were available. Called the hotel as this was not something we required. I was advised to note my preferences on my reservation/honors accounts and it was most likely that they would be accommodated as someone would probably want an accessible room and they could swap. Upon arrival though this wasn't the case and despite the request of a higher floor room was assigned a ground floor room near reception. This contributed to the noise factor and irritations such as the inability to hang some items of clothing on the lowered closet rail.

Very difficult to get a seat at breakfast. It's not pleasant using a trash can to balance your food.
witnessed several business meetings taking place in the breakfast area with no food/beverage being consumed. Pity those guests did not have the courtesy to take their meetings to the sun room or other areas.

Amenities such as soap were not replenished when used up. I'm sure we could have stopped by reception as asked for more however I expect this to be part of the basic service not something I have to proactively manage.

Duvet cover was stained on arrival and not replaced throughout entire stay despite a somewhat patronising post it note on the headboard advertising that we had been given a freshly washed duvet.

Very little storage space in room

No footstool so armchair was not comfortable for long periods

Noise levels made sleep after 5 am impossible.

Whilst I do appreciate that some things such as the continual banging of doors, shrieking and screaming in corridors and thundering from the floor above may not have been down to hotel management they did make for a less than pleasant experience.

The big issue for me though was the feeling of safety, or should I say complete lack of it. Over a 3 day period we were accosted on 5 separate occasions, in the hotel parking lot, by a homeless man seeking money. On each occasion we declined and he became increasingly hostile and aggressive with our refusals. We witnessed several other hotel guests being approached and one guest giving him food which he promptly threw away.
On the second occasion I mentioned to a member of reception staff that we had now been approached twice by the same person and the response was "just don't give them anything" - no offer or indication that this would be dealt with.
We were informed at check in that we must display a parking permit as the parking lot was closely patrolled and monitored. It seems this doesn't extend to ensuring guest safety.

Overall, whilst the hotel was in an ideal location think the negatives outweighed the positives for me personally.

• 3 of 5 stars
Lorri D, Manager at Hampton Inn Duluth, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am so sorry to hear your stay was less than satisfactory. Thank you for the not only the positive comments but also the negative. I apologize we were unable to swap you out of the ADA room. That portion really depends on someone else having a request to have an ADA room.

You might like to know that we are currently updating our breakfast and lobby areas to create a better flow and more seating.

It is Hampton policy to replenish any used items in the room. I apologize that was not the case during your stay. There is no excuse for a stained duvet on a bed. I will be passing this information on to the Executive Housekeeper so she can take care of that situation.

I agree with you that the big issue always comes back to the guest feeling safe. I am shocked and angered at the response you received from the front desk. The police should have been called immediately so they could take care of the situation. We could have posted addtional security in the parking lot and alerted the other hotels of the situation. I know the police take complaints down here very seriously, as they know how important our guests are to us.

I can not apologize enough for the lack of action from the front desk staff. Please let me assure you that is not acceptable and I will be doing some additional training on this subject.

Again thank you for your time and your comments. Both are very appreciated.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Chattanooga, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

We chose this Hampton because of the reviews, the location and we were able to use our Hilton points. We were not disappointed. We had no issues while there (other than the fact that my husband was sick for two days!). We loved being so close to waterfront and the bridge. We called the hot line the evening we arrived and walked down to the pier to watch a huge ship come in through the canal and under the aerial bridge.

The hotel was well appointed and the room was clean and comfortable. At no time did I feel unsafe even when leaving in the evening, by myself, to pick up some food to take back to the hotel. There are plenty of restaurants near by.

There is bottled water in the lobby in the morning and cookies available in the afternoon. Breakfast could either be a "Grab and Go" bag or a delicious hot meal. There are plenty of tables but they were usually full. There is a glassed-in room behind the eating area with chairs and sofas where I ate two days while watching the people walking along the shore.

We would love to come back and visit Duluth. There was a lot we were unable to see. If we do, we would certainly want to stay again at this Hampton Inn.

Room Tip: Although we had a "city view" room it would have been terrific to have had a "lake vi...
oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

We enjoyed a lakeview room. The lakeview room is worth the extra money! We immediately opened the window and let the cool, fresh air from off of the water blow in the room. Very relaxing! This Hampton seemed very clean and well maintained. The landscaping was very nice. We appreciated the friendly staff as well. We have been dissappointed as of late with other Hamptons we have stayed at but there was no dissappointment with the Canal Park Hampton. We felt all of the rooms were a little overpriced but I think that is consistant with the canal park area. After seeing some of the other hotels we were glad we had chose Hampton Inn.

Marquette, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

This is a very nice place to stay in the Canal Park area in Duluth MN. The lake boardwalk is outstanding, as is the bike path right outside your door. The hotel is very conveniently located with many restaurants and shops nearby.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Chanhassen, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

Be sure to bring ear plugs if you plan to stay at this hotel when there is severe fog and rainy weather conditions. The Fog Horn on Lake Superior kept me awake the entire night due to it being 5 miles from the hotel location.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars

Southbridge MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Beautiful location right on the lake - great views and easy access to walking path. Staff couldn't be nicer, but MN is known for it's friendliness. Room was on small side, but was comfortable and bathroom was larger than most. Only complaint is that walls are thin and I could hear people talking and walking around. Not too bad until my upstairs neighbor dropped what sounded like a kettle bell around midnight... Breakfast was good and I liked that bottled water was available for free. I'll stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Rice Lake, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

I will say one thing, the best thing about this hotel.... it is the first time we didn't have to throw the bedspread in the corner. They use duvet's, how wonderful and a very smart idea. They're washed every day. This is very important to us, we could actually use it... cover up with it... and feel it was clean. Also, if I could have had one of the pillows as a gift...it would have been wonderful. Very comfortable. The people at the desk were very kind.
Always take a room on the lake side. Nothing is more beautiful than ships coming in, in the morning and just the view of the lake.

1 Thank S L