All reviews great location canal park within walking distance lake superior lake view the breakfast area nice hotel breakfast staff hotel is located board walk enjoy the view walking path hockey tournament a great stay rooms were very clean complimentary breakfast waffles
Reviewed July 27, 2012

Stayed in a double bed room with my parents and 8 month old son. The bed was comfortable and felt more spacious then it could. The pillows were very mushy and a little too plush for my preference. Two was too many, one you practically sink in it. The bathroom had a nice design, it was a corner sink with three mirrors. With the floor length mirror on the bathroom door, it worked perfectly to see what you looked like from behind. A plus for the ladies. A down side for not a bery large counter sinkmspace. Plenty of towels. But beyond the bathroom, I felt the room lacked enough mirrors. Having max occupancy in the room, it would of been nice to have extra mirrors to get ready in front of. And plus it felt very bland in there. Could use a little decorating update. I had called for a pack and play three days before my stay. Was not in my room apron arrival. Asked for it again, was told it would be delivered at a certain time. After that certain time, still not in room, called and finally was delivered. So I guess third times a charm. plus what we paid for the room, I felt the actual size of the room was a tad too stuffy with max occupancy.
I loved that the hotel had cookies at night and breakfast to go bags in the morning for the guests. I loved that they had plenty of child high chairs also for the kids in the dining area. They have a wonderful selection of food for breakfast. Plus a cozy, comfy extended lounge area beyond the dining room. Liked the warm inviting feeling. One downside I noted, I didn't see a push bar for an automatic door opener. Being I had a stroller it was a bit annoying to not have that. ( same for those in wheelchairs)
They are located right in the heart of Canal Park. Easy on and off to the boardwalk and lake. Plenty of dining and shopping within minutes of the property.
I guess overall I really like the hotel, but felt what I paid for the room was a tad too much.

• Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed July 22, 2012

One of the finest place I have stayed. Clean comfortable rooms, grand breakfast and take a stroll along Lake Superior. Walking distance to several waterfront attractions in Duluth.

Room tip: If you plan to stay in your room a lot book a lake view room, if not save a few dollars and book a city view room and take a stroll along the lake to really enjoy it.
Reviewed July 18, 2012

Hampton Inns seldom disappoint and this one is no exception. Great location in the Canal Park district with a hot breakfast included and free parking. A bit pricy, but reasonably so given the lakefront location. Highly recommended.

1  Thank GreatLakesMariner
Reviewed July 13, 2012

My complaints are minor but still. This is a nice clean property and the staff has been nice and professional. The breakfast is typical Hilton which in my opinion is their biggest weakness. The first thing I notice when I walk in is the old fashion pull open doors at the lobby. A double set actually. When rolling the luggage cart or trying to juggle luggage you'd like the door to open automatically. They do at the vast majority of Hilton properties I stay in. Another thing I can't figure out is why they would build a lake front hotel with no rooms opening to the lake. The hotel next door, where we normally stay, has individual doors opening to the lake on the lower floor and balconies on the upper. One thing I've always hated about Hamptons are the pillows. I try and bring my own when driving but we flew on this trip. Way to soft and way too small. Please get some firmer pillows for you rooms at ALL your hotels. I just spent a week at a Hilton Garden Inns and they had a good mixture of both.
That said. This is a nice property and in a good location.

Room tip: The pillows kept the room and sleep quality from being Very Good
Reviewed July 11, 2012

We stayed at this property during the busy July 4th week and found it to be everything we expected from a Hampton - clean, friendly and accomodating. The hotel is located in Canal Park with lots of things to do, and many restaurants all within walking distance. We biked the Gooseberry Falls to Beaver Bay trail earlier in the day, but it looked as though this area also had access to biking trails along the lake.
Our room was clean. and lmay have been recently updated in the last few years. What does make this Hampton different is the view - it's amazing! Many rooms and the dining area look directly out over Lake Superior. They have a nice outside area to enjoy the view as well.
Overall, I'd recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room tip: Book early as this hotel fills fast - even during the winter.
  • Trip type: Traveled with family