“Neat place with great burgers & beer”

Clyde Iron Works - Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #42 of 269 Restaurants in Duluth
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Premier restaurant, bar, and event venue located in Duluth, MN. Established in 1889, the original Clyde Iron Works was a steel foundry and manufacturer of heavy machinery, once instrumental in completing well-known projects such as the Panama Canal, Empire State Building and Golden Gate Bridge. Today, it serves as one of the top restaurant, bar and event venues in northern Minnesota — still honoring the American worker and Duluth's golden industrial age.
Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

This place was recommended to us by some friends. It was a great place to stretch our legs after driving by playing their floor games especially chess. We were very happy with the service! The burgers were really good. Their signature beer was also pretty tasty. Unfortunately the Chicken wings were too salty, even for someone who adds salt to all their food.
Very unique place!!

1  Thank Apmec

Reviewed December 28, 2012

Stopped to grab lunch while out in the area. My service at my table was ok, but they were loudly chatting back and forth about how they didn't like one of their co-workers. Obviously as a guest this hostility creates an unwelcome atmosphere. My burger was good, the fries weren't. I would consider trying the restaurant again, but found this visit right on the edge of not returning. It's a big space, I wonder if they ever fill it. I did go to an event in the back event space before this and thought that was nice.

Reviewed November 24, 2012

The food was good -- trendy, imaginative bar fare done really well. There was a substantial wait as they prepared that food. The waiter was quirky, knowledgeable and helpful.

Having said all that, go to West Duluth to see this place, because it is one of the really great adaptations of an industrial building. I'm from New England and have seen many of them done really well, and never have seen the equal of this place.

It was a foundry where they made really large iron things -- bridge parts and cranes and such -- and is a huge building, all redone with exposed walls and a floor-to-ceiling (three stories worth) photo of what the place was like back when men were men and iron was iron. I'm told that the tables are made from sections of the wooden floor that were taken up to make a sort of atrium in the middle of the place. Eve if it's just to have a drink, go see this place. It's really beautiful and makes you wonder why other industrial buildings haven't been repurposed like this.

Even though the first floor's focal point is the bar, families with kids will like this place because there are a couple of areas where kids can play, including one area that looks sort of like an indoor bocce court.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

Ordered our food at 12:56. It arrived at 2:00. There were six other customers in the place. The pizzas my wife and kids ordered were ok; other than the sausage-mushroom one which had a really odd taste. No one liked it and we left it on the table. The waitress didnt even bother to ask us if we wanted a box to put it in. She knew! Pizzas were $13.50 each. Sadly I ordered the pot pie for $9.50. It was a small bowl of runny, creamed, canned chicken soup covered by a flakey biscuit. I would have done better eating a partially cooked one from Banquet Foods, $.89 at Wally World. I am sure their steakburger covered with blue cheese is good. You could cover cat food with blue cheese and it would taste good. I would not give this place a second chance. Made me wait over an hour for my food, and then what you do bring me is nasty. AVOID this place

3  Thank billyg1065
Reviewed September 4, 2012 via mobile

Wonderful food and beer selection....great atmosphere....beautiful building! Love this place! This is a beautiful Duluth building....you should come see it.

1  Thank James G