“Now this is a Happy Hour--great martinis at half the price!”
Review of Blackwater Lounge

Blackwater Lounge
Ranked #9 of 258 Restaurants in Duluth
Cuisines: American, Sushi, Pizza
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Black Water Lounge is Duluth's premiere martini lounge. With a full bar, hand-crafted cocktails, exquisite lounge food, live jazz music and lady's night, Black Water is the finest upscale martini bar in the Duluth-Superior area. Black Water Lounge is located in Duluth's Old Downtown and was once the home of the Black Bear Lounge in the historic Greysolon Plaza. Host an event at Black Water's Manhattan Room - perfecy for Anniversary Parties, Engagement Parties, Birthdays & Corporate Gatherings! Rent the entire lounge on a Sunday for your larger group!
Moose Lake, Minnesota
“Now this is a Happy Hour--great martinis at half the price!”
Reviewed August 8, 2014

We've been here twice now and just can't get enough of their delicious martinis! (I recommend the Raspberry Truffle, and the Chocolate Coconut, and the Take Me Home...just not all at one time!) Each time we've been here they have had a great variety of martinis (only $5 each during the 4-7pm happy hour) and this time we also decided to try the appetizers-- about eight of them for a group of six. We were very happy with all of them, with our favorites being the coconut shrimp and the smoked salmon. The ambience is really nice (yes, very loungy) and there are nights when there is piano entertainment as well. The service was friendly and fast. We had great time--oh, and the dessert we had-- red velvet layer cake-- was also a homerun. We'll be back!

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank mooseltraveler
Katie M, Marketing Director at Blackwater Lounge, responded to this review, August 10, 2014
Thank you so much for this wonderful review! We greatly appreciate your business to Black Water Lounge and look forward to seeing you back for more martinis and lounge fare!

McHenry, Illinois
“Not impressed”
Reviewed June 16, 2014

Chose this restaurant based on a local's recommendation, but regretted it. Ingredients were missing out of my meal. The service was extremely slow, and not very friendly. Someone in my group ordered a "strawberry salad." It literally came with 2 small slices of strawberry on it. When she asked if she could have more strawberries in her salad, the waiter came back with one, uncut strawberry on a plate. It was weird.

Visited June 2014
Katie M, Marketing Director at Blackwater Lounge, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Thank you for your honesty and review of Black Woods Grill & Bar. We greatly appreciate your feedback from your experience. Our mission is to exceed every guests' expectations and sincerely would appreciate the opportunity to serve you again. Thank you for your review.
Duluth, Minnesota
“Someone walked out on their tab that I didn't even know and I was treated like poor trash!”
Reviewed May 18, 2014

Okay so I went to a birthday party, I showed up like two hours later with a crew of four. We went into the bar area and I ordered a total of 4 drinks for $40 (hey actually it's not as bad as I thought it sounded except all the drinks were weak tasting, but whatever). My friend, the birthday person, had a group of gross people with her. Two of the gross people decided to leave earlier than our group and head to another bar (we were waiting for someone in our group to eat so they weren't sitting alone). The group that left forgot to pay their check for two drinks which totaled $19.00, maybe.

The waitress told us we had to reach these skeezy people and tell them to come back and pay for their drinks, mind you WE DON'T KNOW THIS PERSON AND THE BIRTHDAY GIRL WAS DRUNK AND DIDN'T HAVE HER CELL PHONE. I tried calling and texting various numbers that the drunk birthday girl gave us, none of them panned out.

We told the waitress to call the cops since she had a description and the birthday girl could give them the names of the people that had walked out. The waitress told us she had to "talk to her manager". I wrote the phone number that I had tried to call that was supposedly linked two these horrid walker outer people on the receipts and the waitress came back and said they couldn't do anything, crumbled up both receipts and that was it.

Then the manager, KAREN, came out and told us that she "couldn't comp" the drinks and directly looked at me and said since my sister left we as a group would have to pay for it. I told her my sister's didn't leave and in fact I don't know these people. We had just got to Blackwater about an hour earlier. She was extremely rude to me and I think it's because I'm a heavier set person, but to be in their hoity toity bar I was dressed up and looking nice (I always dress up when I go out, fatties represent). She continued to be rude to the group of people I was with claiming that these skanks were people we knew and we had to pay the bill.

The birthday person was too drunk and pissed off and started getting loud and annoying with the manager, at this point I was at the bar trying to pay the $20, and they refused to take our payment and kicked us out. Karen is a horrible "customer service" person and manager, and she made us feel shamed for the mistake of other people we didn't even know for not paying their bill.

She literally treated our group, which spent over $100 easy (in one hour on overpriced drinks that taste weak), like we were poor white trash. I have never IN MY life been treated that poorly.

• Visited May 2014
Katie M, Marketing director at Blackwater Lounge, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
Dear Mary,

Thank you for your honesty. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention.
Our Director of Operations, Julie Thoreson, would like to speak with you directly in regards to your experience. Can you please provide us with your phone number?

Again, thank you for bringing this to our attention.
We look forward to speaking with you soon

Katie Marturano
Minnesota
“💖 Really Love This Place 💖”
Reviewed May 6, 2014 via mobile

I always make a point to come here when I'm in Duluth. Come during happy hour for a great deal on the BEST martinis I've ever had!!! If you like spicy try the "pool boy" but honestly all the martinis are SOoo good. The bacon wrapped dates are worth ordering (yummy). The atmosphere makes it really special. I love when they are playing Frank Sinatra music because it fits the "swanky" vibe of the place. Service has always been great too.

• Visited May 2014
Katie M, Marketing Director at Blackwater Lounge, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
Thank you so much for your wonderful 5 star review! We greatly appreciate your business to Black Water Lounge. We look forward to seeing you again when you are back in Duluth!
Thank you!
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“A real surprise...”
Reviewed April 6, 2014

Was up from Minneapolis for a quick getaway and stumbled upon this gem. Excellent food and even better service. We'll be back.

• Visited April 2014
Katie M, Marketing Director at Blackwater Lounge, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Thank you so very much for your wonderful review! We are so excited to have you back to Duluth soon - thank you for visiting Black Water lounge!