“Great staff, unbelievably clean they also take care of marriott rewards members.”

Residence Inn Duluth
Ranked #14 of 33 Hotels in Duluth
Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

My stay was first class from the second I walked in. Watching people cook out, nice fire going. The A/C worked great,my room was spotless and I was also upgraded. I would recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to Duluth.

• Stayed August 2013
ResidenceInnDth, Public Relations Manager at Residence Inn Duluth, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Thank you so much for your review---we are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us!

At the Residence Inn by Marriott-Duluth we aren't satisfied unless our guests had a great experience. We also love Marriott Rewards Members. It's free to sign up, and it allows our staff to prepare for your arrival by making sure that all of your needs are accommodated--before you arrive!

Residence Inn by Marriott-Duluth

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Savage, MN
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We stayed in a one room suite and were really impressed with the quality of the room. It was perfect for our family. The staff was all very friendly, wonderful heated pool, great morning buffet. There's a nice outdoor fire pit our family enjoyed sitting around and talking in the evening. My only concern was one morning there was a young man clearly passed out on the outdoor couches- not much of a view for breakfast with our family. We let the front desk know but they didn't seem concerned. As it started to sprinkle he put a pillow over his head. IMO, I felt he should have been asked to leave.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

We are definitely surprised to hear about the person "passed out" on the patio during your stay. People often like to relax on the patio furniture, but we agree that it's not normal had it been raining. This is the first time this has ever occurred, and we will closely monitor any similar situations in the future. We apologize if it made you feel uncomfortable in any way, but we are also happy to hear it was an enjoyable stay for you.

Saint Paul
Reviewed August 10, 2013

First Impression: I usually stay at a downtown hotel but decided to venture into the interior of Duluth. In short, I am happy that I did. The Residence Inn is located off of a busy parkway. However, once inside it feels very warm and inviting. The hotel is updated. The lobby contains a fireplace that can be enjoyed on three sides. There is an outdoor fire pit and grill as well as an indoor pool.

Staff: I was greeted by an enthusiastic young man upon check-in. It appeared that he really enjoyed his job, which made for a fun check-in. Everyone I encountered at the hotel was very nice!

Room: My room was beautiful. Very clean and well put together. I was apprehensive about staying at a lower star hotel but gave it a chance because of all of the reviews I had seen. I was on the top floor which is the 4th floor. My room overlooked the parking lot. Across from the lot was a bunch of mature trees. When I entered all I could see were the tops of the trees. It wasn't until I step to the window and looked down did I see the parking lot. It was a very nice view especially waking up in the morning seeing lush tree tops. My room was located on the opposite side of the busy parkway.

Location: The hotel is conveniently located near an array of restaurants, mall, gas stations, and grocery stores all of which are within a 1 to 5 minute drive. Cub Foods appeared to be within walking distance. The property is within a 10 minute drive to tourist attractions like Enger Park and Tower (amazing views of Lake Superior here), Chester Park Trail/ Dan Proctor Hiking Trail, Canal Park, and the Glensheen Estate.

Extras: The hotel offers free hot (waffles, sausage, eggs, etc) and cold (cereal, fresh fruit, yogurt, etc) breakfast. They also have free evenings offerings on some nights. They had chicken wings, fresh vegetables with dip, and baked sweets one of the evenings I was there. The food was good. They also offer free internet but I did not use it as I "unplug" myself when on vacation so I do not know how the service was. Also, free parking!

Con: The only downside was that the pillows were skimpy. They were so flat that I might as well have been laying on my back. I had five pillows so I was able to bunch and fold them up to my desired comfort level.

I highly recommend this hotel and will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Choose a room on the opposite side of the busy parkway on the fourth floor. Great view of tree tops.
Green Features: They offer a choice of housekeeping. You indicate such by using a door hanger that you place on the outside of your door before housekeeping makes their rounds.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank TravelingButterfly89
ResidenceInnDth, Public Relations Manager at Residence Inn Duluth, responded to this review, August 13, 2013

We truly appreciate the time and consideration that was put into your review of our hotel. We take pride in how we operate our hotel--and it is very gratifying to receive reviews such as yours that validate our efforts. We will continue to work diligently in providing a MEMORABLE experience for all of our guests.

Highland, California
Reviewed July 20, 2013

We booked a flight from Las Vegas to Duluth,MN. Flight scheduled to depart at 2:30 pm and arrive in Duluth,MN at 7:30Pm. We booked a room at the Residence Inn in Duluth for July 19th and 20th. We waited until 7:30PM to board our Allegiant Air flight to be taken off and flight cancelled. I called to the Residence Inn twice on the evening of the 19th. First time I spoke with Mike and advised we would be late. Then I called again and spoke with Hanna at approximately 8:30 pm and advised flight cancelled we wouldnt be able to make it to cancel our reservation. She advised me that I couldnt cancel with the Hotel directly that I should call Expedia and she provided me a phone #of 210-477-1089. I didnt book thru Expedia so they couldnt help me either. We were in the worst rain storm I have ever been in,so we found a place to stay for the night. I starting calling Priceline and Residence Inn this morning. Per Mike at Residence Inn he will cancel and refund the 2nd night but not the first. I understand it is not the Residence Inn's fault I did not make it to Minnesota, but it is also not my fault either. I do not believe that you have provided me the best customer service. I am asking for a full refund for both nights. So if anyone out there is planning a trip to Duluth you might not want to stay at the Residence Inn if this is the best customer service that they provide.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Robin B
ResidenceInnDth, Public Relations Manager at Residence Inn Duluth, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Robin,

We understand your frustration with the situation, and your recent travel plans.

According to our records, this reservation was made through a third-party booking website, in which case the reservation must be cancelled through that particular party; in accordance with their cancellation policy. We feel that we did our best in contacting the third-party in order to have the second night canceled and refunded to you.

Additionally, any reservation made directly through our hotel includes a cancellation policy that states the reservation may be cancelled without penalty any time before 6 p.m. the day of the reservation. We received a call from you at 8:30 p.m. (10:30 p.m. CST) at which point it was unfortunately too late to cancel the reservation.

Again, we apologize for the circumstances, and we wish you the very best.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed July 19, 2013

We spent a night at this property and frankly did not expect much, but we were VERY pleasantly surprised. It is a new, beautiful hotel and offers really nice amenities. We stayed in a 2 room suite which was elegantly decorated and had brand new appliances with very comfy beds. The front desk staff were great, efficient and helpful and the other staff members were equally exceptional. The free breakfast was very good...eggs, waffles, sausage, oatmeal, fruit, bagels, toast, etc. served in a nicely appointed breakfast area. They have a fenced in basketball 1/2 court which would be fun for kids. There is no restaurant on site, but there are several close to the hotel.

Room Tip: Since the hotel is set back a ways from the main road, it did not appear that the rooms in the front...
Green Features: Marriott has good environmentally friendly policies in place for all their hotels.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
ResidenceInnDth, Public Relations Manager at Residence Inn Duluth, responded to this review, July 21, 2013

Although our hotel is over 2 1/2 years old now, we do our very best to keep it looking "brand new". We take a lot of pride in keeping the hotel looking great--while also providing the very best service to compliment the physical aspects of the hotel. We LOVE the comment that you were "VERY pleasantly surprised"!

Thank you again for your great review, and we hope to see you again soon!

New York City, New York
Reviewed July 16, 2013

This hotel (rooms, staff, breakfast) is top notch in service and decor. It has a full kitchen and the rooms are large. It's not located in Duluth proper so you need a car to go downtown. It's about a 10 minute easy drive and parking downtown is easy. We found places to park for free each time we went and it was busy. The hotel is about 2 years old so everything we saw was in great shape. The front desk is outstanding with our hats off to Cheryl. They have pool facilities, basketball court, most nights a meal (fee offering) and lots more.

The only reason I'm giving the hotel 4 stars is the shower head was turned up (probably by housekeeping when they were cleaning) and they forgot to return it to its original position. Since I'm short, that was a problem. If my husband hadn't been there I would have had to call for service.

Note: If you go to see the famous lift bridge (in Duluth), cross the bridge and you can park for free just over it. It's a 2 minute walk back over the bridge to the stores and restaurants.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your GREAT review---we are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us!

We very much appreciate the time you have taken to write such a kind review. You have highlighted so many things that we are happy to provide our guests. It truly is guests like yourself, who identify such qualities--that allow our hotel to be successful.

Again, thank you again for your great review, and we hope to see you again soon!

Ottawa, Ontario
Reviewed July 9, 2013

The hotel was modern, clean, comfortable, spacious and well-lit with helpful staff and a nice pool.

While pricier than many in the area, it can be a great deal for a family, particularly on nights when both dinner and breakfast are provided (check before booking).

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
ResidenceInnDth, Public Relations Manager at Residence Inn Duluth, responded to this review, July 11, 2013

We appreciate that you have recognized the value that we offer our guests. We love that we're able to provide guests with features and amenities that are not found in many hotels. We do this for guests like yourself that value these amenities. They are things that make many of our guests stays memorable ones.

Thank you again for your great review, and we hope to see you and your family again soon!