“Spaget Good - Music Better” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Valentini's Vicino Lago

Valentini's Vicino Lago
Ranked #20 of 252 Restaurants in Duluth
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Kids, Large groups, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Superior, Wisconsin
“Spaget Good - Music Better”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2012

Nice atmosphere. Has some sort of "big living room" vibe going on that's pleasant. The spaghetti sauce was okay. Not as good as Elbow Room in Superior, or the Villa Capri in Marquette, the two gold standards by which I measure all red sauce. But, this was good. Seemed a bit sweet...was sweater than I like. Do they actually put sugar in some spaghetti sauces? One downer was the salad. "Do you know the word, microscopic?" Mr. Rogers asked. Gotta nit-pic something. One pleasant surprise was the balladeers killing me softly with their songs from the corner. Jane Aas and her crooner partner sending simple folk songs out to the crowded room was nice.

• Visited December 2012

Thunder Bay, Canada
“Never again....”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

My husband and I visited Valentini’s on September 8, 2012. Valentini’s was recommended by a server at the Radisson Hotel restaurant where we were staying and we were very much looking forward to celebrating our anniversary there. My husband called earlier in the day and made a reservation for 8 p.m.

We arrived at 8 and were seated at an unset table. I was surprised to see that there were no tablecloths or place mats on the table considering that this was supposed to be a more upscale restaurant. We were brought menus and first ordered an appetizer as my husband couldn’t make up his mind what he wanted to eat. My husband went to the washroom and met our server coming out of the men’s room carrying cleaning supplies….not a great thing to know that the person who would be serving us our food had just cleaned the toilets. Once the appetizer came out, we ordered our main courses. Ten minutes after placing our order, our server informed me that they didn’t have any more chicken cacciatore and I had to change my order.

We were about 10 minutes into our main course and the owner came over to our table and asked us if we would mind if they took the chairs from tables close by and put them on top of the tables as they were preparing to shampoo the carpets that night. What could we say? So we said it was fine. Things went from bad to worse. After they started piling chairs on top of the surrounding tables, they started to move those tables into a corner of the restaurant. Someone else came over to say something to us about the shampooing of the carpet. At this point we were just finishing up our meal and I asked if it was OK if we finished our bottle of wine. (Hint, Hint: you are rushing us, I'm not happy). We were finishing up our wine when all of a sudden the wall planter that was behind us was moved out of the way leaving us in the middle of this enormous dining room with only our table in the middle. Incredible. We could do nothing more than leave. They apologized to us and gave us a $5 discount coupon on our next food order of $20 or more…the same coupon that you can find online.

Is this any way to treat customers? Why weren't we told when we made the reservation that they were planning to shampoo the carpets that night and suggest we come earlier? Or, call us back (we left our #) once you realized the problem. The other thing they could have done was invite us to sit at the bar to finish our wine, offer us a free drink or dessert to make things better.

The food? Well, I have to say I wasn’t impressed. I ordered the Little of This Little of That with Chickien Cacciatore. The ravioli were under cooked and hard, the chicken was bland, the sausage was cut in half lengthwise and was dry and tasteless. The only good thing on my plate was the Carbonara. My husband ordered a seafood pasta and he felt it was bland.

Valentini’s you can have your $5 discount coupon as we will never step foot into your restaurant again. Next time we come to Duluth, we will return to Bellisio’s or try Va Bene’s for Italian or try another local restaurant..

• Visited September 2012
3 Thank Tbaymom
Grand Rapids, Minnesota
“Italian”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

We thought it had a beautiful view but were
dissappointed in serving size, my wife actually received
about 6 small raviolies for 7.95

Visited September 2012
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Yummy!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2012

This was our first time dining at Valentini's. We have seen this advertised many places but had not tried it. I had the Eggplant Parmesan and it was outstanding and my husband had walleye. Stick to the pastas as they are outstanding and the sauces are fresh.

Visited July 2012
North Dakota
“Nice view, good food!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2012

We recently had lunch at Valentini's. We were lucky enough to get a window table with a view of the lake. Our lunch was tasty and timely. The service was good, and we enjoyed our meal. The dessert selection was amazing! My husband had the carrot cake, he thought it was great, and I had blackberry cheesecake, creamy and delicious!

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Been to Valentini's Vicino Lago? Share your experiences!