New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of S.S. William A. Irvin Ore Boat Museum

S.S. William A. Irvin Ore Boat Museum
Ranked #9 of 94 things to do in Duluth
More attraction details
Owner description: Located at Canal Park, this museum was once an ore boat.
Lindstrom, Minnesota
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Historic & Educational”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Took the family to see the "Irvin" all the education and history and the tour of the inside quarters and how they stored the taconite . Very interesting and the kids loved it!

Apple Valley, Minnesota
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Interesting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

This was better than I thought it would be. Touring a big empty boat didn't seem all that exciting, but it turned out to be very interesting! The hour long tour flew by; it moved along & my kids (6 & 8) were engaged. Our tour guide was full of interesting information, but she was also rather annoying. Personally, I found her little jokes not funny and her side comments unprofessional. I'd be surprised if all the guides were like this...I accidently overheard a comment by one of the other guides to her, alluding to her time-wasting unprofessionalism. Even with her as a guide, I'd still recommend this attraction. It was pretty cool.

1 Thank oceansoul39
Alma Center, Wisconsin
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great experiance”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Steep stairs but very cool to see how the ships work and what the crews had to work with. Great details about the shipping industry as well as the ship history.

Willmar, Minnesota
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great to view outside”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

I was bummed cause we wanted to walk through the ship, but it is a guided tour which I believe was an hour long and since I had 3 kids with (ages 6, 4 & 1) we didn't think they'd survive the tour so we didn't take it.

Minnesota
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Great tour!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

I have been to Duluth dozens of times, but never took the time to visit the SS William. Always thought of it as a tourist trap. Wow, was I surprised, what a great, education tour. Kids loved the tour as well. Highly recommended.

Visited July 2012