“Lovely Skyline Drive”

Enger Park and Tower
Ranked #4 of 95 things to do in Duluth
Reviewed September 22, 2011

Don't rush through Duluth without taking the Skyline Drive above the city. Awesome views of the city can be had from numerous pullouts along the drive. As a lighthouse enthusiast,I was impressed by the fact that here is the only place on the great lakes where you can see 3 distinct types of lights (skeletal,conical and square/integral) all within a few hundred yards of each other. On the Skyline drive, look for the Ariel Lift Bridge and you will see the 3 lighthouses. If you have time, take in the Duluth waterfront. Watch the frieghter traffic, the Ariel Lift bridge operate, the lovely parks and numerous restraunts nearby.

Reviewed September 20, 2011

When we checked into our hotel in Duluth, I asked the front desk clerk something he would recommend we do not miss outside of the main Canal Park or family amusement places. Right away he mentioned Enger Tower and quickly printed off directions.

The place is hard to find if you do not have directions, however, the directions we were given made finding it the simplest thing ever. The history of this park and tower makes it even more of a great spot that everyone must see. An immigrant from Norway donates most of his property to the city he loves and that helped him become successful, under the condition that it be used as a park with a tower for tourists and residents alike to enjoy the beauty Duluth has to offer. It was such a generous donation and gift that even the Prince and Princess of Norway came over to dedicate it.

The tower itself is a small climb, 5 steep stories all the way to the top with openings on each story, all the way around for all sorts of different views. You can see every angle of Duluth, and on a clear day, they say your visibility is 35 miles in each direction. Below the tower lies a Japanese Garden with picnic areas, public restrooms, and adjacent to that, a 27-hole golf course. In the gardens is also a Peace Bell from Duluth's sister city. You can even ring the bell.

Honestly, I was really impressed with this attraction. It was not overly advertised and, if you didn't have specific directions on how to get there, it was not marked the best, but I think that added to the beauty. It was not over-run or crowded which made it beautiful and peaceful, letting you enjoy it completely.

We went up the tower in the morning and got to see everything on a sunny day. We found out that earlier this year they recently did some renovations that installed some lighting and such on the tower for night viewing and to add to the attraction. Unfortunately, we ran out of time to get back up there to see that.

1  Thank alysheeba
Reviewed August 28, 2011

I read a few reviews on here and thought we give it a shot. I was a little disappointed in the park. I thought it was kind of cool and a nice view. But getting to the park was not easy, not really good road signs, GPS had a hard time finding it as well.

Reviewed August 27, 2011

We had a wonderful lunch in this park (tables & grills available) enjoyed thousands of perennials and daffodils and took some great pictures of the city, lift bridge and St. Louis Bay.

Be sure to check out the 5 story tower (80 foot high) constructed of natural Blue Stone (Enger Tower).

A Japanese garden including a pavilion and a peace bell from Duluth's sister city in Isumi-O’Hara, Japan, be sure to ring the peace bell whilie you are there...

It was a little confusing finding the park. There really wasn't any signs pointing the way and some of the roads leading up to the park were full of potholes.

1  Thank crzymallard
Reviewed August 16, 2011

Enger Tower is a very nice place to go when you are in Duluth. As we drove here while coming off of the freeway, I could only imagine what these roads would be like in the harsh Duluth winters. YIKES. The view of Lake Superior, the Harbor and Canal Park is spectacular from outside the tower but the best view is from the top of the Tower, several stories up. I would guess that it is about 6 stories up. There are plenty of places to stop and catch your breath on each story.

I frankly was surprised that I did not see any staff members monitoring peoples activities at the top as I observed some older teens sitting on the high ledges of the tower and leaning over. The winds up here were fierce and the day was in the 70's.

The beautiful gardens at the foot of the tower were another bonus. I would definitely go again if in Duluth as I love Duluth.

1  Thank alwaystosagirl1983