“Better than we could have imagined!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Duluth
Olcott House Bed and Breakfast Inn
Ranked #7 of 11 Duluth B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 3, 2010

My Husband and I recently celebrated our one year anniversary and stayed at The Olcott Mansion. We were absolutly blown away not only because of its beauty, but by the attention to detail from the staff. From the wine and cheese in the afternoon, to the defrosting of our wedding cake, to the AMAZING breakfasts, it was more than we could have hoped for. The size of the rooms were incredible and it was so nice to have a private bath, which is rare in a Bed and Breakfast. Another detail that we thought was noteworthy, was that we were actually encouraged to use the whole house. We could play games in the lounge, play the piano if we felt so inclined, or even go through and look at the vacant suites. We strongly reccomend choosing this treasure of a Inn, and can't wait to return for Anniversary's to come!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 29, 2010

Just an all around pleasant place to stay.....
I felt so welcome and cared for the moment I was greeted at the door.
I was offered refreshments and told where everything was if I needed it.
I wish more places could provide such an atmosphere, they have put wonderful thought into the decor!!!
I will return whenever I am in the area, maybe even make it a reason to go back.....Duluth is a great city, the Olcott House is where you need to stay when there!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed January 8, 2010

I really felt pampered at The Olcott House B&B. The ambiance, beautiful rooms, hosts, attention to detail, food and especially, the cozy warm fireplace at 16 below zero, inspired these comments. I would highly recommend a visit to this lovely Georgian mansion located in Duluth, MN.
Stephanie

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 18, 2009

I loved staying at the Olcott House! The Haven suite was gorgeous and comfortable. The porch adjacent to the room was perfect for reading. The owners were very inviting and had great recommendations for various restaurants near the shore of Lake Superior. I highly recommend the Olcott!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed July 23, 2009

Stayed for two nights last week and absolutely loved this place. Owners David and Jerry are extremely nice/helpful and treat you like family. Beautiful home and architecture. Wine/cheese in the evenings and great breakfast in morning. The best B&B experience I've had...by far. Would definitely stay again and recommend this place to anyone traveling to Duluth. Hotels are just as pricey and cannot offer this environment.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 16, 2009

Our recent stay at the Olcott House was just perfection. We traveled from Philadelphia, where we reside. This "house", really a mansion, is like those on the Main Line in Philadelphia, or other mansions along the Hudson in New York. It is hauntingly gorgeous! The Olcott is so well-preserved, my husband and our two grown children and I felt like we actually stepped back in time. We stayed in 3 suites: The Lester River suite, The East Wing suite, and the Olcott suite. The rooms are all furnished lavishly with antiques and original art. The beds and linens are all first class, and there are fresh flowers in the suites. The orientals on the floors in the library and the dining rooms must be worth a fortune - very old. The owners, David and Jerry, are friendly with the tour manager at the Glensheen Mansion, and I have been there before, but I have to say this house (older than Glensheen) is just as well-preserved. It is impeccably clean, the food is excellent, and even my daughter, a vegan, had much to choose from. I'd read an article that David and Jerry lived in New York City and LA a long time, and their care in restoration and maintenance and decorating shows much sophistication from their past experiences. Jerry is from the Duluth area originally, but both hosts were savvy concierges. They assisted us in finding a tour of a fascinating underground mine, tipped us off to a "hidden" Jamaican restaurant, and told us exactly when the huge ships would come into the canal. Jerry even advised us who to talk to at the antique shops he frequents (good deals compared to East Coast pricing.) We travel as a family to London, Spain, and other European countries regularly, and still this historic inn will head the list as a classy and favorite place to stay. It is the real McCoy of a beautifully-preserved mansion, and we thoroughly recommend the Olcott for an unparalleled experience of relaxation and luxury. It is a singularly unique and special place, that offers impeccable service and yet lots of privacy as the rooms are enormous (at least all 3 we stayed in - we were also able to view the Carriage Suite, which is much like a large apartment.) One suggestion: perhaps they could serve red wine in addition to to the white, which is served with the complimentary refreshments. But as we sat on the huge outdoor veranda (think Grand Hotel, Mackinac Island) and the breeze and views were so relaxing, we could have spent the whole day on that veranda without any appetizers. We were at the Olcott for 4 days and it still wasn't enough time for my family. We will definitely be back again, and hopefully very soon!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank luvtogofar
Reviewed July 6, 2009

My soon-to-be wife and I stayed here over a long weekend last October, and I can't recommend it enough! We reserved the Carriage House suite, which was like having our own little cottage for the weekend. The breakfasts were fantastic, and the owners made us feel more like house-guests than lodgers. The house is a standout in an already beautiful neighborhood, and is near enough to the highway that we could get anywhere in Duluth (or head up the North Shore) in just a couple of minutes.

The only downside to our trip was that we were about a week late to see the fall colors, or take in some of the seasonal attractions - but that's definitely no fault of the Olcott House!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple