Olcott House Bed and Breakfast Inn
Comfort Inn West(Duluth)(Great Value!)
$106
Park Point Marina Inn(Duluth)(Great Value!)
$124
$120
$119
HolidayInn.com
The Inn on Lake Superior(Duluth)(Great Value!)
$170
Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark(Duluth)
$118
$94
Comfort Suites Canal Park(Duluth)(Great Value!)
$149
$134
ComfortSuites
The Suites Hotel in Canal Park(Duluth)(Great Value!)
$112
$139
$118
Sheraton.com
South Pier Inn on the Canal(Duluth)(Great Value!)
$141
Canal Park Lodge(Duluth)
$169
All reviewscheese fruitus feel at homeb bsamazing houseweekend stayretreat
Reviewed January 17, 2011

Here's a copy of a note I dropped to the staff of the Olcott House after a recent weekend getaway:

Dear Olcott House Staff:

I just wanted to drop a quick line to once again say thanks for helping to make our recent weekend visit to Duluth so very special. Until pulling up to the outside of the Olcott House, my wife thought we were only on a bit of a sightseeing tour, taking a look at some of the more beautiful examples of architecture in the area. She gasped out loud when I told her that the Olcott would also serve as our evening's accommodations. There was even more gasping upon seeing our incredible suite.

Further, the unrelenting beauty and charm of the house were matched only by the hospitality of our hosts. Even in the face of caring for his partner (put out of commission by an unfortunate car accident), David went out of his way to make us feel at home at a time when treating guests as an inconvenience might be seen by many as an excusable necessity. At no point did we feel anything less than warmly welcomed, from being greeted upon arrival, to being served a truly sumptuous and unhurried breakfast, to being thanked for our visit upon check-out.

Needless to say, the overwhelming combination of astonishingly gorgeous accommodations, warm, friendly hospitality and amazing value will stick with us until our next looked-forward-to visit. I'd enthusiastically recommend the Olcott House to anyone looking for a plush getaway, and plan to do exactly that whenever possible.

We'll be seeing you again sometime over the summer, as we're already planning our next trip.

-Jim,
Richfield, MN

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 4, 2010

We traveled to Duluth for business for one night. The hotels were not cheap, so I chose The Olcott House B&B instead - it wasn't much more than staying at a hotel. Beautiful B&B! We have stayed at quite a few, and the Olcott is definitely one of the best. From the architecturally fabulous ceilings to the decorative antiques throughout the house. Unfortunately we didn't have enough time to explore other rooms, but the Olcott was so lovely we plan to drive back and spend a weekend there so we can fully appreciate all it's features. We were greeted by David, who showed us around the house and was nice enough to call and book a dinner reservation at a local cafe. Our suite was spacious, and had a charming sitting room with a fireplace as well as the beautiful bedroom. Breakfast was french toast (with cream cheese in the center), ham, fruit & yogurt.

I did read other tripadvisor reviews before choosing the Olcott. It was humorous to read the critic who thought Olcott should be responsible for their neighbors! The check-in policy states arrival 4 - 6 pm and the reservation process does ask for an approximate arrival time. And, while I can understand the small tv comment, I can't understand that being a determining factor to choosing a B&B. Many B&B's have NO television. Also available were dvd's, books, magazines, historical books, and a piano.

One of the endearing qualities at The Olcott, in my opinion, is the obvious resolution that was made to honor and respect the history of the house & it's original owners. David and Jerry have done a wonderful job of that!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed September 24, 2010

I recently had the pleasure of staying at the beautiful Olcott House bed and breakfast in Duluth, MN. From the moment I arrived, the innkeeper, David was most welcoming and gracious to his Georgian Colonial home located in the East End of Duluth. The home is magnificent, and the history of the home and the rooms is located in each room.
I particularly enjoyed the following: the wine, cheese, and sweets offered upon arrival, the beautiful porch overlooking the other mansions, and the lovely breakfasts. I happened to be traveling alone, so the safety feature of the exterior doors being locked at all times was appreciated. Plus, my suite had a porch that over looked Lake Superior - perfection!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed August 17, 2010

This was our 2nd stay at a B&B and we absolutely loved it! From the beautiful African Mahogany woodwork in the dinning room to the rare Birdseye Maple flooring of our suite we were swept away by this mansion. Jerry and David were gracious hosts and made us feel right at home. The breakfast was delicious and very elegant. At night the house glows with a warmth and presence that make you feel like you are in another world. There was always relaxing music playing downstairs and snacks to eat. Even though the home is 10,000 sq. ft it feels so cozy and not intimidating. I could go on and on about the Olcott House but I don't want to get to long winded, so with all the said I HIGHLY recommend this B&B!!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank shanna92580
Reviewed August 13, 2010

When we travel we always try to stay in a B&B because we like the personal attention you get. The Olcott House lived up to our expectations. The house is located in a residential area of Duluth that was "the place to live" when the industrial barons were building their gracious homes. The Olcott house is one of these homes. The rooms are spacious and beautifully decorated. You have a sense of total privacy and quiet. It reminded us of some wonderful B&B's we have stayed in in England. The cooked breakfast was creative, not your run of the mill breakfast, and it was served in a charming dining room. There was wine and cheese out when we arrived in the late afternoon and David, the innkeeper, was helpful with directions and ideas as to how to spend our time in Duluth. Overall, we had a great stay. We will return to the Olcott House.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple