Comfort Inn West(Duluth)(Great Value!)
$130
$189
Hampton.com
$235
$205
The Suites Hotel in Canal Park(Duluth)(Great Value!)
$165
$154
Priceline
$178
$151
Travelocity
$249
Hotels.com
All reviewspillow menuhistoric hotelaveda productssame complexconverted breweryfree valetbook storeunder one rooflake walkcontinental breakfastbrew housedeluxe roominteresting shopsmodern amenitiesgranola barscoupon bookchain hotels
Reviewed January 26, 2011

My husband and I have been regular customers of Fitger's for 10+ years. We absolutely love this hotel. Even in the winter, a view of Lake Superior is breathtaking and worth the price. The service is excellent, the shops are very nice (and you don't have to go outside), and there is an exercise room downstairs. For me, one of the charms of this hotel is that is it is NOT a family-oriented hotel, i.e. no pool. I love the wide hallways and the very quiet rooms.
That said, I WOULD recommend that the hotel give up the heavy bedspread and replace it with something WASHABLE. Also, I would recommend that the white bathroom rug be removed--it was not clean. The breakfast selection is sparce also (I don't like doughnuts).

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LillithStillwater_MN
Reviewed December 30, 2010

Noisy and poorly managed I feel the owners are milking this one instead of investing to make it better. This summer they sponsored a 5k run that filled the hotel with crowds of kids in each room. 2am fire alarm was great.

Gave it another try over the 2010 Dec holiday but not much better. The brew pub next door bring lots of locals who hang around outside the front of the hotel at 2am yelling etc. And the staff is mostly younger 20 somethings so little oversight.

I wish I could give it a thumbs up but can't.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ovations99
Reviewed October 27, 2010

Every time we go to Duluth for a weekend getaway (a few times a year), we try to stay at Fitger's. We actually get pretty sad, and have once canceled a planned trip, if the hotel is booked.
We got married in Duluth and stayed here before and after the ceremony. They couldn't have been more accomodating on letting us take pictures in the rooms, the lobby, the staircase, etc. They also moved us from separate rooms the night before, to a room for "the new couple" the remaining nights of our stay - they did the actual moving of our luggage and such while the wedding and reception took place. There aren't that many places that would do that for you, OR I would trust to handle my baggage, but Fitger's is one of those places. The valent parking at check-in is a nice touch, too.
This particular stay, we found a package deal online that included the John Beargrease Sled Dog Race with our stay. The nice folks shuttled us the half hour to the race, and just told us to call when we wanted to be picked up for the return trip. They made sure we had VIP passes for a select viewing area, and promo material. I don't know if I would have attended a sled dog race if I didn't get such a great deal from Fitger's, but we had a total blast!
One of the nights of the stay, we went to a Thai place for dinner and had leftovers. We wanted to eat them for lunch the next day, but weren't in a room with a microwave. The front desk told us to bring it down to them. They got us plates, silverware, and napkins, and heated the food for us. It was busy at the time, but they never made us feel like we were putting them out.
If you stay lakeside, I would recommend turning all the lights off in your room, opening the lower half of the windows (in the summer, of course), pushing the curtains open across the length of the room, and watching/listening to the lake and the boats. So peaceful! I almost slept on the floor that night, which wouldn't have been bad, but the beds are so comfy, it would be a shame to waste them.
The restaurant isn't right in the hotel, but it's just down the stairs from them. But you can order from them for room service, which is a huge bonus. Generous portions and unique ingredients are part of the reason we always have at least one meal in. Plus, the shopping complex attached to the hotel has some really fun shops, restaurants and a brewery! What more could you want?
Overall, our favorite part of this hotel is that almost every single room is different from the rest. We have our favorites, but we also try staying in a variety of rooms in case we find a new favorite. I'd tell you about the cool brick in our #1 pick, but then it would be booked when we make reservations. :)

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 14, 2010

We have stayed here before. We always have a lakeside patio and this year the weather was in the high 70's so we had the patio door opened and we can't say enough about the whole experience. The people there are great! Always so helpful and nice.
We missed the Fall colors but that didn't matter, it still was worth every penny.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 8, 2010

Beautiful hotel, great service by all staff. Good restaurants on site with many more within walking distance from the hotel. Lake view rooms are wonderful, with city view not too bad either.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple