All reviews historic hotel pillow menu aveda products same complex converted brewery free valet book store under one roof continental breakfast lake walk brew house deluxe room interesting shops modern amenities granola bars coupon book chain hotels
Reviewed November 9, 2017

This is a great hotel next to eateries and close to the Lake Walk. It is also pet friendly! The rooms are very nice and staff is helpful and polite. I had spent a few nights here before moving to the area and was pleased each stay.

• Stayed: December 2016, traveled as a couple
Jim M, Manager at Fitger's Inn, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2017

Dear culiath,

Thank you very much for continually choosing to stay at our hotel and taking the time to write a great Trip Advisor review. We really do appreciate it.

I am glad that you and your pet were able to take advantage of the Lake Walk and the Fitger’s complex.

Thank you for your kind words about our staff, I will make sure they are passed on.

We look forward to seeing you again.

Please let me know if you have any questions or if there is anything I can do for you.

Reviewed November 9, 2017 via mobile

This historic hotel is within the structure of the old Fitger’s brewery. The walls are filled with pictures of the original setting and there are numerous antiques (large and small) scattered throughout the property. The rest of the facility has been converted to multiple shopping opportunities such as upscale outdoor clothing, wine sales, toy/book store, culinary store, and such. Also attached is a fine dining restaurant, a micro brew house with decent pub food, and a Mexican restaurant.

A must stay- and really not much more expensive than any hotel in Duluth, with many great things to explore.

Stayed: November 2017, traveled with family
2  Thank Food_Junkie911

Dear Food_Junkie911,

Thank you very much for staying with us and taking the time to write a great Trip Advisor review. We really do appreciate it.

We take great pride in our history and are happy to hear that you enjoyed it. I am glad that you enjoyed your time in and around Fitger’s.

We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed October 31, 2017 via mobile

Found Fitgers via Trip Advisor. And thank goodness I did. What a cool place to stay. Fitgers is an old brewery converted to a hotel. Rooms are comfy and roomy. Stayed in a double which came with a small sitting area on an elevated level.
So impressed with the fact that we could order custom pillows , i.e. body pillows or Memory foam. Who does that?
Shopping area beneath the hotel was terrific, especially since it snowed. Would've shopped there anyway. We found loads to buy.
Breakfast at the boat club was continental with a fabulous view of Lake superior. Service was excellent.
The Brewhouse served a great burger, and if you want beer, it's the place to be.
All in all a fabulous experience. I would do it again.

Stayed: October 2017, traveled with family

Dear Kay M,

Thank you very much for staying with us, and for leaving us a great Trip Advisor review. We really do appreciate it.

It is great that you enjoyed the pillow menu, restaurants, and shopping complex as much as we do.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed October 23, 2017

First, realize that the entrance has not one but two sets of stairs. I discovered that the doormen only hold the door open while I struggled with two suitcases, my purse, and a cooler. Once up the first set of stairs the tiny entryway barely fit my stuff while I balanced my bags and tried to reach upward to the second set of doors. Fun. By the time I got to the check-in area I was totally frazzled and did not enjoy the conversation with the front desk who made my appearance there seem like a personal inconvenience to her.
Note that room 411 is right next to the elevator, but surprisingly quiet. However, when booking the room I was not told it also had a set of stairs in it. This was fine for us, but anyone with walking limitations would have had difficulties. There was a light that was suppose to illuminate the stairs, for those who need to use the restroom during the night, but it was not working. Also, the refrigerator did not work. After many attempts with the plug adaptor, we called down. Service was very quick and he managed to get it going. Once we returned from dinner later, it was not working again. Argh!
There was a splash of red on the headboard, near the mattress. I am hoping that was red wine....nevertheless it should have been caught by housekeeping and I left a note about it. The air conditioning worked well, but the drainage in the bathtub not so much! The fan in the bathroom also was pretty useless. On the phone in the room there was a direct line button for the Boat Club restaurant. The hotel gives you $2 off coupons for their breakfast and there is a complimentary breakfast that I detail on the Boat Club review.
The bed was hard as a rock, so today I am off to the chiropractor. After the two rough nights in that bed, I had to lug my luggage back down the stairs in the morning as there were no doormen to be found.
There is a complimentary valet service that was not running during the rainy time we would have used it after the hockey game. It would have been nice! The side parking lot is very tiny, so we needed to use the parking ramp. This is not a walk for anyone with any limitations on walking. Caution!
The $259.99 per night fee is definitely out of scale with the service and more than double what should have been charged.

• Stayed: October 2017, traveled with family
4  Thank Patti H
Jim M, Manager at Fitger's Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2018

Hello from Fitger's Inn-

Thank you for staying with us and sharing your experience with this Trip Advisor review.
I noticed during a sweep of our Trip Advisor responses that your review was not replied to. Don't know if our low rating had something to do with that but we should and do stand behind our product and services to at least acknowledge receipt and attempt to explain and promote another opportunity.

An earlier conversation in this same context related to a review that simply stated:
Comfortable bed, clean bathroom and great location!
My comment related to..."that is probably the simple foundation of guest satisfaction to a hotel stay".
If a property can get that right then we can focus on valet service, parking, shuttles, slow tub drains, lighting and refrigerators.
But if we can't provide a comfortable bed and clean room then it makes for a challenging situation.

The only simple response we can start with is that we recently outfitted the entire hotel with new double pillow top beds and have received mostly positive feedback on the product. Cleaning is of utmost importance and we strive to react to any guest concerns after check-in to items that may have been missed. Our valet service strives to be present for all guests but is humanly impossible to be everywhere for every guest. A phone call from a room requesting assistance with luggage and assistance with valet is our most desired method of service. Our valet service is available 24 hours a day which confuses me about not being running.

It appears that your experience with us here at Fitger's Inn was not consistent with the expectations that I have for your stay and value for your dollar. Our hope is that you would give us another opportunity to show off all aspects of our business. If another opportunity means that you would like to contact me directly and discuss, then I encourage you to do so.

Best Wishes,

Jim Makitalo
Hotel Manager
218 722-8826

Reviewed October 18, 2017

Fitger's Inn is the ultimate romantic getaway. Try the huge namesake's suite, complete with a Jacuzzi and great lake view. Midweek is the best value but even on a weekend it is sure to rejuvenate you and yours, no matter your age. And right next door is a great restaurant. All is within the Fitger,s complex with shopping and brewery. And free parking!

Room Tip: Ask for lake view. It's worth it.
  • Stayed: February 2017, traveled as a couple

Dear Paul S,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share what a great time you had with TripAdvisor.

We love to hear when our guests experience more than just our hotel when they stay with us as Fitger’s does have a number of unique offering.

Thank you again for your wonderful comments and we look forward to seeing you again.