“Riding up on the bridge”
Review of Aerial Lift Bridge

Aerial Lift Bridge
Ranked #3 of 95 things to do in Duluth
More attraction details
Owner description: Originally constructed in 1905 as an aerial lift, this unusual elevator bridge is 386 feet long and spans the canal entrance to Duluth Harbor.
Reviewed December 15, 2013

When I was 6 yrs old (1955) my Dad was friends with the bridge operator. He let myself & my Dad ride up on the bridge as an ore carrier passed underneath. It is one of the most thrilling experience of my life. It felt to me as though we were 1000 feet up. At the time it was taboo for anyone but the operator to be on the bridge when it was rising. Thrill of a lifetime.

1  Thank Duluther

Reviewed December 4, 2013

I grew up about 70 miles from Duluth. As a kid if we went to Duluth we would frequently visit. I now live 4 hours away - but still enjoy stopping and seeing it. It's fun to see it raised when a ship has to go through. Very pretty at night the way they illuminate it.

1  Thank GTODriver
Reviewed December 2, 2013

We had the chance to see a huge cargo ship pass under the bridge and the whole bridge lift up. It was very impressive and cool to see. The area around the bridge is very touristy and there are a lot of souvenir shops so there is something for everyone.

1  Thank Vanessa Y
Reviewed November 30, 2013

We got lucky on our trip and had the chance to see the lift bridge in action. It was very cool, and fun to hear the horns of the ship and the bridge tooting at each other. Kids loved this.

Reviewed November 25, 2013

Nothing epitomizes Duluth better than the Aerial Lift Bridge. No matter where you live you acknowledge this to be the symbol of Duluth, Minnesota. Whether viewed in the daytime, in inclement weather or lit up at night the bridge represents the stability of Duluth and its ability to persevere in whatever environmental condition could exist at the tip of the Greatest Lake Superior.
Whether you walk across the bridge or ride across in a car listening to the tires humming over the grates, the thrill is of this magnificent structure. Even die-hard Park Pointers who must endure getting "bridged" have to reluctantly acknowledge its majesty and magnificence.

No symbol could be more Duluth.

1  Thank duluthharold