Beacon Pointe Resort
Comfort Inn West(Duluth)(Great Value!)
$98
Park Point Marina Inn(Duluth)(Great Value!)
$83
$81
Hotels.com
The Inn on Lake Superior(Duluth)(Great Value!)
$140
$99
HolidayInn.com
$122
$109
Country Inn
$114
$107
Comfort Suites Canal Park(Duluth)(Great Value!)
$149
The Suites Hotel in Canal Park(Duluth)(Great Value!)
$112
Official Hotel
South Pier Inn on the Canal(Duluth)(Great Value!)
$124
Travelocity
Canal Park Lodge(Duluth)
$149
All reviewsunderground parkingbedroom condofull kitchenthe penthousecanal parkbike pathadirondack chairsjacuzzi tubview of the lakelake superiorbike rentalslift bridgecontinental breakfasttop floorgreat amenitiessleeper sofahard boiled eggs
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 17, 2009

This place is more like a long-term hotel for business travelers: It's jammed between the lake and a freeway off-ramp, with construction noise, average continental breakfast, a small, grotty, cloudy swimming pool, paper-thin walls, and few amenities. It is far enough from downtown that you have to drive everywhere, but not far enough to offer any isolation or quiet.

The use of "resort" in their name is very misleading, as is the hotel's website, which boasts all kinds of activities and recreation and makes it sound like you could spend weeks just hanging around the hotel and relaxing. In truth, unless you're staying on the ground floor, there's no real outdoor space to sit and relax. In terms of activities, they had only about four non-children's movies available for check-out at the front desk, and on the three nights we stayed, the hotel didn't once have the promised "lakeside campfire with s'mores."

We were particularly unimpressed by the staff -- every person we saw working there appeared to be under 22 or so. The front desk was consistently understaffed, particularly during peak check-out times, and staff was generally disinterested and pretty unhelpful. Housekeeping service was a joke; they made the bed but did not vacuum, replace the toiletries, or pick up a used tissue that had been on the floor since we arrived (ick!). I can definitely tolerate substandard service at a chain hotel, but when I am paying $400 a night at a place with "luxury" in the name, it's a bit harder to swallow.

Our room itself was very nice and had a lovely view, but as another reviewer mentioned, it's clear that they have cut corners everywhere; I think this place will be trashed in a year or two.

We would absolutely not stay here again. If you want a real resort with peace and quiet, go a little further north to Two Harbors or Castle Danger. If you want to be in Duluth, there are several established hotels downtown that have a better location and actually know what they are doing.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 27, 2009

I traveled to Beacon Pointe with a group of 10 girlfriends and it was one of the nicest places I have ever stayed. It was way nmor ethan I had expected.
We stayed in a three-bedroom suite (presedential suit, I think). The building and furnishings were new and everything was in working condition. There were three bathrooms and two jaccuzzi tubs. We had two balconies and a second-level patio. There was more than enough sleeping accomodations because all of the couches were fold outs.
The resort was right on Lake Superior and was located right on the walking path to downtown Duluth. It would be a bout a 5 mile walk (which we took) to the lift bridge. They offered lots of outings/sports, like kayaking and biking, although we never used these services (too busy shopping and going out downtown).
The staff was friendly and attentive. We had a problem with our locks and someone was up in five minutes and took cae of it. We got extra blankets and pillows with no fuss/ In the mornings, we ate at the continential breakfast, which was not only good, but full stocked. The pool area was large and clean.
I use Trip Advisor often for reviews and I know that will all of the good, you are bound to get some bad, but I can't see how anyone would say this resort was bad. I will definitely be visiting Beacon Pointe again. I have pretty high standards and I definitely got more than I expected.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 24, 2009

Fabulous, relaxing, clean pet friendly resort. I'm picky about hotels, and pet friendly ones are sometimes suspect, but this was the big ticket. We have a westie who loves to travel, and all 3 of us loved this place. Fantastic breakfast and perfectly located on the lake walk. Will return for sure!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 13, 2009

This is a beautiful new resort right on Lake Superior, and relatively close to everything in Duluth... but not walking distance to anything except the lake walk and the lake.
We stayed in a 1 bedroom suite. It had a jacuzzi (which my mom loved), a king sized bed (which I loved), and a pull out couch (Which my mom slept on and was brutally uncomfortable). The view was amazing! There were 2 big flat screen TVs with lots of channels, as well as a small mini fridge, a wet bar, and microwave. The bathroom had a hairdryer in it, which was nice.
The cleanliness of the room wasn't quite up to par, considering what we were paying. There was dust everywhere, and the daily maid service meant making the bed, emptying the garbage, and giving us some clean towels- they didn't even collect the dirty towels that we threw in the bottom of the shower as indicated!
There is a small indoor pool, hottub, and sauna, but the hottub was out of order when we were there, with no explanation.
The continental breakfast was AMAZING! Fresh fruit, yogurt, juice, bagels, Starbucks coffee- everything I could want in a free breakfast!
There are sea kayaks and bikes available to use for free, but when we asked to use a bike (on a beautifully warm Easter weekend) the front desk girl told us that we couldn't use them because they haven't had their "yearly safety check" (whatever that means!) so that was disappointing. If you are a runner, walker or stroller you will love the Lake Walk right at your doorstep.
I enjoyed my stay but was disappointed in a few areas.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 25, 2008

This was our first stay here. It's a newer hotel. Very luxurious rooms & beautiful views of Lake Superior. The room layouts were unique, spacious & very comfortable. They have many newer modern amenities in the rooms. The shower is adjustable and has options, very nice wetbar. The whirlpool is nice. A nice lil patio/deck area. Crisp new flat screen TVs. The owner is friendly and helpful. Close proximity to Fittgers. Reasonable rates.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank tim m