“Excellent views and service”

Beacon Pointe Resort
Ranked #13 of 33 Hotels in Duluth
Fridley, Minnesota
“Excellent views and service”
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Excellent experience! We checked in, parked in the underground parking lot and unloaded our things into the room with ease. The views of Lake Superior were breathtaking. We had a 3 bedroom condo so everyone in our family had their own room and space to run. The TV in the living room was not working, we called the front desk and they replaced it with a new TV within the hour. We were able to utilize the kitchen to cook a family diner. We played in the pool with our kids. At dusk we cooked S'mores at the outdoor patio, compliments of the resort. The showers were very relaxing because of the multiple jets. At night, we left the windows open with the heat on high to hear the waves, it was extremely peaceful. In the morning they had a standard continental breakfast available. The only complaint was we had two Jacuzzis in which only one worked. We did not notify staff until the next morning but staff was was very apologetic. Overall we left relaxed and we would recommend this resort to others.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Troy M, Manager at Beacon Pointe Resort, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
I just want to start by saying thank you for the review of our property and it is so great to hear that you had a such good time! I'm also happy to hear that you took advantage of so many of our amenities. Again we do apologize for the two minor inconveniences you experienced but I want to thank you for notifying us and letting us correct these issues. Come relax with us again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Winona, Minnesota
Reviewed May 26, 2013

For the several posts before this one whining about every single thing, don't listen to them! The room was great. Quiet, cozy, can't complain. Who spends that much time in the room anyways? It was very nice.

• Stayed May 2013
Thank you so much for the kind words! We are so happy you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to get the opportunity to host you again soon!
Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota
Reviewed May 22, 2013

My daughter and I stayed at Beacon Point in mid May for what was supposed to be a weekend. Rather than stay a second night at we had already paid for, we drove home on Saturday evening...
When we arrived at 3 PM on Friday, our room wasn't ready, so we left to find something to do for an hour or so. The young man at the desk seemed indifferent to our being there and didn't offer a time when the room would be ready or any suggestion of area businesses we might be interested in. When we returned an hour and a half later, there was a young lady staffing the reception desk, she checked us in and told us that we could park in front of the building, in the underground garage, "or there might be a lot that you can park in down the road and to the right." There MIGHT be?
When we got to the room, the cleaning crew was just leaving and the smell of Pine-Sol was so strong that we had to open the window for several hours to air it out. (It was a cold and rainy day)

The room was quite small, the bed was old and saggy with an old and tattered bedspread, the bathroom door didn't stay closed, and the room had a wine cooler in place of a regular refrigerator so we were not comfortable leaving food in it.
With a more enthusiastic and knowledgeable staff and a little updating and basic maintenance, this could be a nice place. As it is now, I would not go back.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
We are sorry to see that your stay with us did not meet your expectations, it is our goal that every guest experiences a level of service and accommodations that exceeds expectation and we apologize to you for not meeting that goal. If you’ll give us the opportunity to make this right for you, you may contact the General Manager Chris Gaylord through the resort’s “Contact Us” web page. We would appreciate hearing from you directly and encourage you to get in touch. Thank you for being our guest.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We have stayed here before but this time was rather annoying. It seemed like so many small issues made it enjoyable than it could be. Starting out with the resort being well below half full, but we had to wait to check in until the "maintenance" was finished with our room. This maintenance turn out to be lots of painting and wall work. This meant when we got to go to our room, our room wreaked of paint, which lasted the entire time. The manager assured us that it was non-toxic. Ok. On top of that, chairs were missing and there was paint all over parts of the floor. Wifi should not be listed as available. We couldn't get any signal the entire time we were there. It would be one bar sporatically, but we never were able to bring up a web page. Pool, Jacuzzi, and Sauna were great. Underground parking was a plus. Breakfast wasn't too bad but when we need more of something or tables were dirty, the front desk staff wanted nothing to do with it. Front desk staff was rather snobby and unhelpful for the most part, but what can you expect from college kids. We really like staying here due to the cost behind staying at a place so new with great views, but this time seemed like it was going downhill since Odyssey took it over. Just seems like they don't care about the customers, just doing things cheap and making more money.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank rugbybry
Troy M, Manager at Beacon Pointe Resort, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
We are sorry to see that your stay with us did not meet your expectations. It is our goal that every guest experiences a level of service and accommodations that exceeds expectation and we apologize to you for not meeting that goal. In response to the construction we do apologize for the paint odor. We are in the process of installing better insulation between rooms to give our guests as peaceful and private stay as we can. Obviously this takes time and we thank you for bearing with us while we continue to improve our property. Secondly, like any place, our internet can go down occasionally. Usually all it takes is a quick reset and its right back up. I encourage you to let us know immediately if you have any problems with it and we will correct them. If you’ll give us the opportunity to make this right for you, you may contact the General Manager Chris Gaylord through the resort’s “Contact Us” web page. We would appreciate hearing from you directly and encourage you to get in touch. Thank you for being our guest.
Falcon Heights, Minnesota
Reviewed May 3, 2013

I just want to say.. before I start... this is a hard review for me to write.It took me a while to gain enough composure to write a review. Our friends referred us to this resort.We stayed here for our Wedding anniversary. Sunday April 21st we checked in. The internet and cable were down so we unpacked and headed to Grandmas so I could finish my work and My husband could watch the hockey game (both were working when we returned). Monday morning we went down to breakfast, the selections however limited were not fresh. Bagels and Danishes were stale. The fruit selection was limited to apples. There was dry cereal, yogurt, make your own waffles (which are the best choice). We decided to make our breakfast in the room from here out. We found the refrigerator and dishes to be dirty with crusted food particles on them.
We requested a tour of the room with the "roof top balcony" and were told to "come back later in the afternoon". We decided to take off and see the sights. We got back toured the rooms and asked about adding another day to our stay.
We reported a few maintenance concerns from past guests a broken chair and a closet door hinge that was coming out of the wall. Maintenance showed up the day we were checking out at 8am.
All and all at this point we were ok with where we were staying. The views were awesome and we were enjoying time away. We figured out the quirks and made the best of them. Like the sauna not being on or warm... we just would turn it on when we were heading to the pool... swim, Jacuzzi and by the time we were done the sauna would be warm.
We traveled a lot in the past and consider ourselves to be reasonable travelers. The rest of our stay was uneventful.
Upon returning home I received their corporate survey and filled it out noting the few minor disappointments.
On Thursday (the next day) I noticed a "rash" ... I made a Dr appointment and on Friday I was diagnosed with an allergic reaction to bed bug bites.
We had not traveled in the last 2 years.
We reported the issue to the resort and were told a manager would be in on Sat and they would contact us. My husband asked if we were supposed to report it anywhere like the MN dept of health or if they do... Our main concern was other's health.
We did not get a call back ...so on Monday evening my husband called them again. He was told that they had an exterminator come out and they could NOT find any evidence and he would "send us a report". I know this response was where I decided never to go back and to make sure others knew what happened. I know these things happen... I know bugs happen (we have never experienced it)... I just expected a response that was appropriate for a place that you spend $179 a night to stay at... a bit more class.
The Odyssey group might want to invest in their management's customer service training/ policies as this was a complete fail.
I am still am recovering from 100s of bites on my body (that I was basically told did not exist per their exterminator's report) I am grateful the rest of our family did not come with us. The entire feeling from management was to blame and deflect their responsibility
Stay at your own risk

Room Tip: 301 or 307 b or u are end units with great spaces....
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank DontAskCuzIwillTellU
Troy M, Front Office Manager at Beacon Pointe Resort, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
I am so very sorry to hear about your unsatisfactory experience from your stay here at the resort. We take all guest concerns seriously and address every issue with sincerity and empathy. After hearing of your concern on Friday the 26th, I set in motion a series of events to resolve any current issue, and prevent any future health concerns. We first took the room that you had stayed in out of the rental pool so that it could not be occupied. Then an emergency service request was issued to Guardian, a pest solutions company that we contract to service our property on a monthly basis. Guardian then inspected the room, bedding, mattress, box spring and bed frame for any bugs. They followed up with a formal report stating that no bedbugs were found on Monday the 29th. We then took further action and scheduled a Canine Bed Bug Detection Unit. The resort was inspected by license certified dogs that found the entirety of the resort as having no evidence of bed bugs. It’s not in my intention to discredit your claim but rather to state significant facts and actions taken after your stay. I will be contacting you directly to follow up on your recovery. Again, I sincerely apologize for the sub standard stay that you experienced and hope that you would consider our services in the future.
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed April 29, 2013

We had to go to Duluth for a family funeral instead of our usual relaxing get away. Staying here was a surprising treat and made a difficult visit to town a pleasant experience under the circumstances. We have wanted to try this place for several years and always ended up staying at South Pier or much further up the shore. This is really a stunning spot to stay and is well run. The view can't be beat, you do feel like you are much further up the shore instead of in the city of Duluth.

We had a few bumps during our stay, no power on the tv uopn arrival, and had to ask for coffee cups and glasses that were missing from our mini kitchen. The Staff responded immedietly and took care of the issues. The breakfast was a typical continental. We would have appreciated better quality baked goods, they were very grocery store and ice cold. But, we did not book thsi place for the breakfast!

Unfortunetly our jacuzzi tub did not work, since it was after 10pm and we wanted to go to bed, we reported it at check out the next day and the manager, Troy, was very courteous and apologetic. He invited us to contact him directly to make a future reservation. Hopefully, he will be able to give us a discount or some small compensation for our lack of being able to use the jacuzzi . We certainly will stay here again. It was very comfortable, clean and quiet. I imagine during high season it is much busier being on the lake walk, we will stick to staying at quieter times of the year. Very nice place!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Troy M, Manager at Beacon Pointe Resort, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Thank you for posting a review of your stay. Guest feedback is the best way for us to make sure all our guests are satisfied every time. I'm sorry to hear that you had to come up for such a somber occasion but I am glad to hear that we were able to easy some of your burden. I also want to thank you for letting us know about your minor technical difficulties. It is our mission to respond to these issues immediately and efficiently. I do want to say that we are in the process of redesigning our breakfast room as well as bringing in new products. My hope is that this will be completed before your next visit, which I hope will be soon now that it is warming up finally! Lastly, we will most certainly work something out for you to make your next stay even more enjoyable since you were not able to take advantage of your Jacuzzi. Again, thank you for a response and we hope you visit again soon.
Grand Marais, MN
Reviewed April 15, 2013

We normally stay at the edgewater because our kids love the waterpark but tried Beacon Pointe instead, we were thrilled. The staff was friendly, even chatted with my daugher and son when they were trying to see the fish they had on the front desk. We had a King bed with a pull out sofa sleeper in a seperate room (which was great with kids, even had their own tv). The view of the lake with all those boats was amazing, we could hear the waves at night and I see others complained about noise, BUT we didn't hear any other guest during our two nights there.

The pool was perfect, it gave our kids a chance to really swim and I loved the size (5 ft deep) plus they let us have the kids swimming tubes in the pool. The breakfast was great, the area was small but many people ate around the pool or stood and chatted which actually worked out nice.

The bed was a little lumpy in spots but I had a wonderful night's rest and the room had nice air, normally hotel rooms make my nose dry with the stale dry air but not this room, it was wonderful not waking up to a headache and a stuffy nose. Plus we had a whirl pool in the room which I enjoy since I am able to soak in it much more then a normal bathtub.

The underground parking was great during the winter, we didn't get a spot the second night but front desk told me I could park in the '15min' parking which was right next to the front door. I was very thankful. The lack of parking is not something the hotel can help so I am glad they helped us out.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Troy M, Manager at Beacon Pointe Resort, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind review of our resort. I'm happy to hear that you took a chance on a new place and that you were so pleased with us. I hope that the good experience and memories you took home with you last a long time. Come visit us again soon!