All reviewsunderground parkingbedroom condofull kitchenthree bedroomthe penthousecanal parkother resortsjacuzzi tubadirondack chairswalk or bikeview of the lakelake superiorlakeside suiteanniversary weekendcontinental breakfastprivate patiolift bridge
Reviewed October 31, 2011

We have stayed at Beacon Point many times and I have read about the noise and we finally know what they are talking about in some of the reviews. Be sure to get a third floor room we have never had a problem with noise at the top. We did however have a young family with children that were out of control, I don’t blame the kids or Beacon Point but would love to speak to the parents with a ball bat in hand. Breakfast was just fine for me bagel, hard-boiled egg waffle I was good to go. Full kitchen for the price of a hotel room still like the place and the view is fabulous!!!

Room Tip: Get a room on the top floor
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank rmitch27
Troy M, Manager at Beacon Pointe Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2012

Thank you for taking time to post a review and give us your feedback. I am sorry that the level of noise in our resort was disruptive of your stay. I hope the rest of your stay was enjoyable! Thank you for being our guest, we hope to see you again!

Reviewed October 19, 2011

Just spent two nights at Beacon Pointe. We stayed there a few years back and were very impressed. It was new, clean and quite frankly why would we ever want to stay in any other hotel in Duluth when Beacon Pointe had so much more to offer, especially at their price.

Well a few years went by and we once again returned. This time, no fires outside, no smores as they advertised. We finally understand now what they mean by thin walls. You see the first time we stayed we were pretty much in our own little area, how fantastic. Felt like we had the place to ourselves. This time they put us next to another family, and I mean next to as in we could open the door between us and share a room. The walls are very thin and the noise level is quite frankly undesirable and a huge turn off to ever staying here again. The hotel was not full, and in fact I was told they purposely put people in sections so housekeeping doesn't have to travel all over the hotel. - Seriously? wow, gosh for bid they have to walk an extra 50 feet to clean a room. - Guess its all about the college age housekeepers not having to walk to the middle of the hotel.

The furniture inside used to be very nice. We had a broken kitchen chair, and furthermore a nail was sticking out of it. The tables had dents and dings and finger prints on them. The glass to the outside was dirty and the carpet... holy cow, it’s evident that they have NEVER cleaned the carpet before. It was absolutely disgusting!!! Stains, bleached spots, etc..

Furthermore, when they did supposedly clean our room, the bed spread was put on crooked, they didn't even give us a new plastic bag for our ice, nor did they put the ice container back. I purposely put it in a spot where they had to move it IF they cleaned... think they moved it?... NOPE! - heck, they didn't even clean the counter. I’ve had hotels that are not as nearly as nice fold my clothes, straighten out my tooth brush, razor, etc in my bathroom. A little gesture here or there goes a long way. Clearly that must be inconvenient for them too.

What frustrates me is that I saw these people cleaning another room. They drag a vacuum around with them... think they would use it? not once. Apparently it’s a silent vacuum that makes no noise, that or its there for looks to give the guests the impression that they do. – After all no one vacuumed our room, at all. – not even an attempt.. I’m baffled to know what “housekeeping” means to them. Quite honestly, I felt violated that they even came in our room. – I could have made my own bed. After all, that’s all they did, and they did a horrible job at it.

Hot water? ha - forget about taking a hot water shower.... hot gave me goose bumps. Must be a way to save money on energy costs, turn down the water heater…If you want to take a Jacuzzi, start filling your tub around noon. It should be full by say 8pm.

Want to swim? - Well, I guess swimming in Lake Superior wouldn't be much different then swimming in their pool. Clearly the water heater is broke. The first time we stayed and used the pool it felt great! - this time, I thought I was going into shock.

Then I got out and went in the hot tub. The chemicals were so strong it made my eyes burn. - Maybe housekeeping is using the chemicals they are supposed to clean the rooms with in the pool & hot tub?

The continental breakfast..... I guess if you have no way of getting any other food it will suffice, but once frozen pastries and then thawed isn't all that great. I will give them kudos though on the waffles and the juice.

I've heard that the condo owners read trip advisor on the comments people leave about their place, and that there are a lot of complaints and they bring them to the attention of management, but management never does anything. I also heard rumors that they built this place on a dime (maybe if they drop a dime when you stay there you'll hear it) which explains why they couldn't afford insulation between walls and why things are going down hill very quickly.

Beacon Pointe, you had a huge opportunity to make this place a success and you buried yourself very quickly. It’s a shame, I'd love to return but I have no confidence that your facility will improve. - Maybe that’s why I get flooded with e-mails that keep lowering the price on my stay.

Room Tip: Rooms on the main floor have a walk out.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank RealisticMike

We appreciate every guest stay and believe that each and every experience with us should be all positive. We apologize that your expectations were not met, and if you’ll give us the chance, we would like to try and make it right. Please contact the General Manager Mark Crowl through his email mark@beaconpointeduluth.com. We would appreciate hearing from you directly and encourage you to get in touch. Thank you for being our guest.

Reviewed October 8, 2011

The room was nice had a fantastic view we were able to see a ship come in right in front of our room. At check in the lady was very nice and friendly as well as at checkout. We were on the 1st floor so were able to walk right out on our little patio in the morning we got our breakfast and sat out it was gorgeous they have real plates and silverware, glasses etc so was a nice plus shower was a nice grohe brand with a shower head and 3 jets and you can move everything the way you want it very nice. We had a whirlpool in our room as well with nice air jets the room has a nice "homey feeling" Would love to stay again. We could hear the people next door go in and out alot but thats to be expected in any hotel so didn't really bother us at all. It was nice to leave the window open to hear the waves crashing at night.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TBLOOM

Thank you for sharing your positive comment about your recent vacation at Beacon Pointe. We hope the memories you made here last a lifetime – or at least until you come for your next visit. We look forward to seeing you again at Beacon Pointe Resort!

Reviewed October 7, 2011

Right on the lake. Great views. Right on 35W. That said, we've stayed here 4 times and won't go back. Here's why: Though recently built, the property is incredibly poorly built. All the complaints about noise in these reviews are absolutely true...you'll hear a pin drop next door and any activity overhead sounds like a herd of elephants. Many rooms have only queen beds and all bedrooms are windowless, except corner units (which have queen beds). So, while the location and views are nice, the property itself isn't particularly livable. Plus, the security isn't the best. The staff likes to keep the garage door open in the summer and thieves like to break into guests cars. I had my roof antenna stolen. Overall service is indifferent.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank neverflyguy

We appreciate every guest stay and believe that each and every experience with us should be all positive. We apologize that your expectations were not met, and if you’ll give us the chance, we would like to try and make it right. Please contact the General Manager Mark Crowl through his email, mark@beaconpointeduluth.com. We would appreciate hearing from you directly and encourage you to get in touch. Thank you for being our guest.

Reviewed September 26, 2011

The views were spectacular. We watched the boats glide by on their way into Duluth and saw the lights from the lift bridge from our deck. We stayed early in the week so we weren't bothered by any noise but if there would have been people staying in the rooms next to us, it would have been a distraction. The location was fantastic - close enough to all of the attractions and activities in Duluth but away from the craziness of Canal Park. It was fantastic having a full kitchen in the two-bedroom condo. I wouldn't recommend getting just the deluxe guestroom - very cramped for the price but the 2 bedroom condo was spacious. The front desk staff was very helpful. We needed a kitchen utensil for making dinner and they were able to locate it for us promptly. The underground parking was very convenient.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank 211AJO64

Thank you for sharing your positive comment about your recent vacation at our resort! We look forward to seeing you again at Beacon Pointe Resort!