“If you have the time and money and interest in fish and such, go here!”

Great Lakes Aquarium
Ranked #19 of 94 things to do in Duluth
More attraction details
Owner description: The only aquarium in the U.S. that focuses on freshwater exhibits, this three-story waterfront structure is ready for public viewing after a year and a half and almost $34 million. Plenty of interactive exhibits and re-created habitats are fun and educational for children.
Madison, Wisconsin
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“If you have the time and money and interest in fish and such, go here!”
Reviewed April 16, 2010

I took my 6-year-old daughter here last week. I'd say it's 50-50 on the entertainment value. I'm not sure if it's just my daughter not interested in fish and in learning about the exhibits,or if it was just not set up for children her age, so you'll just have to make a judgment call based on your own child/own situation. I read the reviews here about some of the exhibits not functioning, and sadly, we found that to be true of several. I wished they'd put a sign on those to say they weren't working, or better yet, fix them! That said, there were some neat exhibits that did interest my daughter, like the big globe to learn about the bodies of water compared to the water of Lake Superior. There was also a "National Forest" exhibit that had a slide built into the tree, that kept even my 6 year old having fun. Definitely a lot of information available to learn and read about the Great Lakes and such...but I do think to keep it family oriented, there needs to be more "hands on" at nearly each exhibit, along with the information given, to keep the young and "old" alike equally interested. I don't regret spending the money (if you have AAA, you can save $1 entry price per ticket), but we'll likely skip it the next time through. Bottomline: there are definitely some exhibits that are hands-on for the younger kids (8 and under), but a lot of reading at some exhibits that would probably not interest kids much, especially the volume of reading.

Minneapolis
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Had the Place to Ourselves”
Reviewed November 28, 2009

Took my husband and parents here on a Tuesday evening and we literally had the place to ourselves. It was great being able to take our time looking at all of the displays and features. The only thing I didn't like was the Macaw who seemed rather neglected. The last time of entry is 6 p.m. but you can stay until 7 p.m.

Chicago Area, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Delivers What it Promises”
Reviewed October 25, 2009

Their marketing promotes the great lakes and freshwater fishes and the Aquarium delivers on both. If you're going here to see coral reefs and such you will be disappointed, but if you really are interested in the great lakes area in terms of fish and geography of the lakes then you'll be quite pleased. There are areas for the kids to play including "water tables" modeled after the lakes and other hands on things that youngsters will enjoy while plenty of learning opportunities for us older folk interested in expanding our minds. There are presentations every hour or so put on by the staff and/or volunteers that were quite entertaining. We were only interested in one but it was so fun we stayed a bit longer to catch another one.

1 Thank CulexPipiens
Minnesota
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Semi-interesting. Spendy attraction.”
Reviewed August 7, 2009

First of all, don't pay for the parking. There is free parking right by the playground (at least the whole time we were there nobody was in the ticket booth). If you spend the time to read all about the displays I suppose it's interesting. We had a 3 year old with us so you have to move pretty fast. I think we were there 45 minutes to an hour. This was definetely not my favorite attraction in Duluth. There is so much else to do including free things like watching the big ships come in.

Hartselle, Alabama
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“not worth the price”
Reviewed July 8, 2009

for the price you are wasting your money, the only sea creature in the aquarium was seahorses and a couple of stingrays, the other fish were from fresh water, i.e. Lakes, it is way overpriced to see trout and an otter, I have seen really great aquariums, but this does not come close, very dissappointed and wish I could get my money back

1 Thank kmar53

Been to Great Lakes Aquarium? Share your experiences!