“not worth the price”

Great Lakes Aquarium
Ranked #20 of 96 things to do in Duluth
More attraction details
Owner description: The only aquarium in the U.S. that focuses on freshwater exhibits, this three-story waterfront structure is ready for public viewing after a year and a half and almost $34 million. Plenty of interactive exhibits and re-created habitats are fun and educational for children.
Reviewed July 8, 2009

for the price you are wasting your money, the only sea creature in the aquarium was seahorses and a couple of stingrays, the other fish were from fresh water, i.e. Lakes, it is way overpriced to see trout and an otter, I have seen really great aquariums, but this does not come close, very dissappointed and wish I could get my money back

1  Thank kmar53

Reviewed May 24, 2009

I didn't expect much from an aquarium about lakes. I was pleasantly surprised. Not the greatest place for small chiildren because there is a lot reading. The reading is interesting and the exhibits are well-done. I learned a lot of there was plenty to do. I will be back.

Reviewed September 15, 2008

The aquarium disappointed me. They charge $14.50 for adults and it's about a 20 minute walk through. There were some neat fish like the new seahorse display but that's about it. I guess I was expecting a greater display for the price they were charging. Don't waste your time and see something else.

1  Thank ajohnson2726
Reviewed August 18, 2008

I stop by every time I'm in Duluth (at least twice a year). I've even ducked in for just the last half-hour of opening hours (though they were nice enough to stay open another 40 minutes past closing for all remaining visitors). Why? Because it's more than fish in a tank (though there are many fish, including huge sturgeon, and the two-story tank with multiple viewing areas is a marvel). It's about context--I learn something every time I'm there, about how certain species got there, why some have gone extinct, how Superior is the same or different from other huge lakes around the world, a history of commercial fishing, over-fishing, Isle Royale, animals that live in the watershed (they have a bald eagle, several otters, snakes, etc.). Now they have a nice exhibit on the Amazon, too. And perhaps the most magical reason is the current exhibit on seahorses; they have a lot of them and these creatures are marvels to see up close. Yeah, you can watch the Aerial Lift Bridge go up and down, but this place is a secret treasure on the Shore.

1  Thank Mplsinsider
Reviewed July 7, 2008

On a trip with some friend we decided to stop at the aquarium. It is a little on the expensive side but worth it. I like to stay at every area more than most, so i see some of the stuff they miss. There are eagles, otters, and my favorite a whole room of different sea-horses. On another level there are two touch tanks one for two different types of stingrays, the other for sturgeon. There is also an area to see turtes at eye level. Everyone liked using the video camera that would drop into a huge pool of fish and show you what was happening on a near by tv. We ended the trip with a look through the telescope (for a quarter) at lake Superior. They do let you use your camera but no flash. Even if you don't think it worth it to touch rays and sturgeon, think of it as a donation to the aquarium.

1  Thank The_Photograph3r

Been to Great Lakes Aquarium? Share your experiences!