“Ehh..”

Great Lakes Aquarium
Ranked #29 of 95 things to do in Duluth
More attraction details
Owner description: The only aquarium in the U.S. that focuses on freshwater exhibits, this three-story waterfront structure is ready for public viewing after a year and a half and almost $34 million. Plenty of interactive exhibits and re-created habitats are fun and educational for children.
Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

First off, it was VERY overpriced. $16.50 for an adult?? I was told we could feed stingrays but that didn't happen. I wish I had known it was only freshwater fish before I went. It was more of an educational thing than an aquarium. The gift shop was a huge disappointment.

1  Thank Gabbielynn21
"kids and adults"
"worth the trip"
"two hours"

Reviewed August 7, 2013

We are seniors and spend more than the admission price on a bad lunch at times, so no big deal. I do think there should be a family rate that caps the cost because young families are not going to spend 60+ dollars for this Aquarium. We went late in the day because we wanted to see the Aerial Bridge by night as well as the Canal Park area. The exhibits are kid friendly and children will enjoy the touch and feel parts. Adults will not be as excited about the place. It needs an infusion of financial support from some good fund raising so the costs can be lowered. They are high because the place can't make it on its own. Too bad I do not see a bright future for this Aquarium.
The Canal Park is free and has more to appeal to families...go at night it is beautiful.

3  Thank James H
Reviewed August 6, 2013

A lot of interesting information regarding the Great Lakes, wildlife and environmental issues. Pleasantly surprised at the gift shop prices. More than reasonable for some nice merchandise. Suggest stopping by

Reviewed August 5, 2013

This aquarium crosses a children's museum with a traditional exhibit heavy aquarium. Our kids (2-1/2 to 9 years) all enjoyed it and so did the adults. Obviously, there is something for everyone.

All of us enjoyed the Great Lakes lock system where you can open and close the locks and let toy boats through.

I liked the complete fresh water fish displays. One does not see muskies often.

See more reviews
Reviewed July 31, 2013

We only went because it was raining. First they hit you for $5 to park and then $13.50 pp senior! There is a $1 coupon in the tourist coupon book. (I got mine at the Thompson Hill info center but others may have them) Fishermen and kids will enjoy it the most. There is one big, 2 or 3 story (can't remember) tank with all kinds of native fish. The only thing impressive is the size of some of them but pretty, they aren't. My husband did enjoy it more than me but he even said it was not worth the money.

Been to Great Lakes Aquarium? Share your experiences!