“Stay Away” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Detroit Lakes
Detroit Lakes, Minnesota
“Stay Away”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

I rented a room for some friends visiting, they wanted to go cheap, and I set up a night at the budget Host Hotel in Detroit Lakes. The price was good about $70.00 for the night. The man at the desk was nice enough but the woman was very rude. The room looked as if it has only been straighten up and sprayed with Fabreeze. There were items that I will not speak of under the bed and made the entire room smell of feces. This is not a place I would let a dog stay. Needless to say my friends did not stay the night.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Tabitha M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Minneapolis, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

My daughter lives in Detroit Lakes and she recommended staying at the Budget Host Inn. She mentions how it is operated by a very nice family who care about offering a quality stay at an economy price. I was impressed with their customer service when they changed my room to stay in one with a bathtub. The bed was very comfortable and continental breakfast was all that I expected - juice, muffins, cereal, coffee. My grandchildren LOVED playing mini-golf with us and it was free with our stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Allison895
Montevideo MN
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

We travel quite a bit and have stayed at hundreds of hotels and motels. This one was the worst motel at which we have ever stayed. Let me begin with two positives: clean and man at desk was very pleasant. However the negatives have a little longer list: no hot water (lukewarm), HARD bed, HARD pillow, unfriendly lady at desk, check in took 20 minutes, NOT updated from 1970s with exception of flat screen TV, paper thin walls, poor continental breakfast. The rates are okay but for a few dollars more I would have GLADLY stayed at any other motel. Reason we stayed here: last minute decision in attending a summer wedding and every other hotel was booked. Should have taken the hint!!! Should have driven the 20 extra minutes to a different town for a decent nights sleep. :(

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Mike B

Travelers are raving about these Detroit Lakes hotels

calgary
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2010

I was disappointed with this place. Our room was very musty smelling, stuffy and the walls were paper thin. I could hear the man next to us talking on the phone until late, I could even here the women on the other end of his line. The room was clean enough, but the smell and stained carpets kinda make you feel otherwise.
They also put everyone in the same section. I was upset in the morning when I noticed an entire block of empty rooms on th back of the hotel. I should have asked to be moved.
If you aren't full for the night you should space people out, i'm sure you know how thin your walls are.
Good breakfast in the morning though and very friendly and helpful staff.
We're just stopping for the night to sleep. I would have been ok with this hotel as the price point of the room ( $60) was good, but we both had awful sleeps due to the thin walls and smelt musty the next day.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CalgaryTripper
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2006

This motel is very clean and neat with good rates. It is near the train tracks, as are most motels in town. It is easy to drive right up to the room, as it is a one-story property. I was very satisfied with my stay.

However, I will agree with a previous post that the person at the desk seemed very quiet, or reserved, or unfriendly,-
I do not know which.

Stayed September 2006
California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2006

The cabin we stayed in was very nice but the first thing we were greeted with was a very unsmiling face who informed us that the prices we had reserved the place for was wrong (over two months early) and that she was charging us more for the week. This girl never once in our entire stay had a kind face or greeting making us feel very unwelcome.

Our dirty towels were removed but only given new ones once and we went for two days without having our trash dumped.

We were most annoyed at all of the RULES and notes posted around and you are told that your rooms will be checked daily by counting items to be sure things are not stolen.

Maybe it is because we travel a great deal and rarely in this part of the country, but we were not very happy with the stay and would not stay there again.

• Liked — closse to main highway
  • Disliked — friendliness
  • Tips/Secrets — double check on price you will pay
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
      Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank stbarb
#4 of 9 in Detroit Lakes
4.0 of 5 stars 144 reviews
AmericInn Hotel & Suites Hawley
GrandStay Hotel & Suites Perham, MN

Been to Budget Host Inn? Share your experiences!