“NIce Spa and best place to stay in Detroit Lakes” 5 of 5 bubbles

BEST WESTERN PREMIER The Lodge on Lake Detroit
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Detroit Lakes
GreenLeadersSilver level
Minneapolis
“NIce Spa and best place to stay in Detroit Lakes”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2009

We did three nights and several spa services. All we did was lounge all weekend and loved the large open common area with fireplace in the morning and evening. Evening drinks were available and we couldn't help but think how ideal this place would be without ice and snow! The breakfasts were provided and were excellent--many more options than the usual continental. Everything was tidy and clean with good service. It is only three years old and it still seemed like new! We ate at Fireside, Speak Easy and Zorbaz--each was different but with descent food. My favorite was the ribs at Fireside. Shopping was fun too--we got some great winter sale deals at Norby's. We could hear the trains at times, but never during the night, and stuff like that does not bother us being in the Twin Cities and all.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
North Dakota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2008

We stayed at the Lodge twice and made use of the Spa Within both times. The lodge is a beautiful facility with a unique appearance created with the pine logs construction including the bathroom vanities. The services at the Spa are top notch as well. The lodge and spa are top on our list of favorite getaways.

• Liked — On-site Spa
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2008

I was recently married in the Detroit Lakes area, and we decided to use the Lodge on Lake Detroit as one of our hotel blocks in the area. It was one of the better decisions that we made in our wedding process.

The Lodge is a beautiful and tranquil get away in Northern Minnesota. From the moment that you walk into the main lobby, you are greeted by friendly, knowledgable staff who truly are committed to making your stay as pleasant as it can be. The suites are gorgeous with a spacious aromatherapy jet tub.

We had such great service from Jim, the guest services coordinator, that we also decided to have our groom's dinner at The Lodge. We were able to have a beautiful dinner on shores of Detroit Lakes, and the food was fantastic! It was catered by The Convent on Reeves, and they served a chicken and ribs barbecue dinner that complimented the outside meal.

We were also granted permission to take our pictures by the water. The trees provided the perfect amount of shading for our photographer. Many of our guests told us that they plan to return to The Lodge for a weekend trip in the future because they were so happy with their stay. I know that my husband and I will be spending more time there!

• Liked — Everything!
  • Stayed September 2008
Manitoba
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2008

This is a beautiful resort hotel with a very pretty lake view but the trains are unbelievable. I am surprised that people make light of this in their reviews. I will be totally honest.

We were thrilled when we checked into the Lodge! It is a very nice hotel with wonderful amenities. Our suite was wonderful and by day, we chuckled over the trains going by. At night...oh my gosh, it felt like the trains were going to come right through the wall. You could hear the whistle blowing from a distance and then they tore right through your soul. There are at least 3, if not 4, very loud trains during the night.

In the morning I went to the front desk and they seemed shocked to find out that there was a noise problem. I checked to see if there was perhaps a walkout, lake-facing room in a central location that would be available and there was not. Basically they tossed some earplugs at me and I was dismissed.

As I said, beautiful place with a delightful continental breakfast included. Three nights of having a heart attack, train after train, was enough.

• Liked — The rooms and the views were wonderful!
  • Disliked — THE TRAINS
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank thanksforthegoodnews
Fargo, ND
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2008

This is a gem - Their slogan is: "Service isn't a big thing, it's a million little things!" There are so many "little" frills that it makes a gigantic difference! The rooms are clean and fresh but have special little extras that you stumble upon and think "That's a nice touch!" And the free breakfast in the morning is a thousand miles away from a "continential breakfast". The staff is professional. It feels like a vacation, even if you are on a business trip. This is perhaps the "best" place I have stayed in - anywhere.

Stayed August 2008
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2008

Amazing Hotel!!! I accidently found this hotel while on a business trip and have now told many friends and family. This hotel is located right on Lake Detroit and has beach access from your hotel room (1st floor access). This hotel includes free kayak rental and has a boat and fishing dock right on property.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — No on site restaurant
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
winnipeg, mb.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2008

It seems like every time I book a trip for a vacation we are driving thousands of kilometres or flying through numerous airports and when the vacation is over, we are ready for a rest So I finally decided to do what my wife has been asking for for years and find a nice relaxing, nearby spot so we can just relax and recharge,. But, I'm also very fusy, so...where? I didn't want to travel very far but everything nearby was so familiar to us and I wanted to go somewhere new and exciting. When I googled the resorts in nearby Minnesota, the area around Detroit Lakes stuck out as the most likely spot and when I did further, extensive research on the internet it became evident this was the best spot and The Lodge on Detroit Lake looked perfect. I booked a 3 day stay in one of the Retreat Suites and then I did something I've never done before. For the first time ever I did not to tell my wife where we were going and told her that it was a surprice. This was a bit of a gamble but she she has great faith in my tastes and went along with it. This worked out very well because she really seemed to enjoy the suspense and intreage of not knowing where we were going.
The Lodge lived up to my expectations and her hopes extremely well and we even extended our stay an extra night, at the expense of the Shooting Star Casino Hotel, which was cancelled.

The resort was ideal for what I had in mind; a smaller resort overlooking a beautiful lake with an uncrowded sandy beach, an upper scale room, hot complimentary breakfast and extremely friendly and accommodating staff. As a matter of fact on our last day I asked if we could extend our stay and move to a Renewal suite for the extra night. Not only did they accomodate us but they moved all of our luggage for us while we were out shopping the following morning and .... this was done before noon so we could enjoy a full day in the new suite. .

One of the additional benefits of the staying at the Lodge on Detroit Lake is it's close proximity to a great "casual/fine dining" establishment called The Fireside. We ate there 3 of the 4 days we were at the Lodge. We tried to visit other restaurants but kept coming back to the Fireside, which is about a 5 minute walk.
We also fell in love with the whole community and found the people to be as friendly as the people in New Foundland, who we consider the friendliest anywhere.

Like Arnold says "We'll be back"

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
#2 of 9 in Detroit Lakes
Americas Best Value Inn
Americas Best Value Inn
#7 of 9 in Detroit Lakes

Been to BEST WESTERN PREMIER The Lodge on Lake Detroit? Share your experiences!