“Update ... terrible service.”

The Black Swan Restaurant
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: A charming English pub with its very own wildflower duck pond, situated in the pretty village of Hollins Green, in the area of Rixton with Glazebrook, The Black Swan Pub is nestled in a perfect setting for all its visitors. With a friendly atmosphere, fine food, new top spec venue rooms and comfortable boutique bedrooms, The Black Swan is a great place to dine, drink and dream. The Black Swan is ideally located for business meetings, business lunches and parties, with free Wi-Fi, conference facilities, and easy access to both Northbank Industrial Estate and transport links to the City Centre. The 14 beautifully furnished bedrooms make the pub a great choice for a weekend stay with easy access to the Trafford Centre, Football Stadiums, Salford Reds Stadium, both Salford and Manchester City Centres, Gulliver's World and as several racecourses. But if you don’t want to go anywhere, you can relax in the beer garden, feed the ducks or go for a walk around the local area and spend your evening being entertained in the pub.
Reviewed September 23, 2013

My last review was entitled 'Definitely coming back here' ... and I did. Unfortunately, it was a complete let-down. We waited over an hour for our meals and the service was dire. At one point, we were trying to attract the attention of a waitress, without success, as 4 of them were stood by the till, with their backs to the restaurant, chatting amongst themselves. I had to go over and ask for some service. I believe the place is going to be training students from a local high school ... well don't expect 'A' grade passes from them!!

Black Swan R, General Manager at The Black Swan Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2013

I am firstly sorry for the delayed reply to yours and other comments posted in the last few weeks. Unfortunately we have only just got access back to our page.

Mr Hayes, reading your post upset me greatly, especially as you had written such a nice review previously. I want to apologise to your and your guests for the service you received. This is not what you or any other customer of The Black Swan should experience and needs rectifying with the upmost urgency.

We are currently in the process of implementing a new training program to ensure from the top down everyone is working to the same high standards. Yes we are looking at assisting the college with young learners development and last year we helped find employment and training for 2 young people on apprenticeship schemes. We currently have 12 individuals on NVQ apprenticeships and following your comments i need to ensure that they are utilising everything they are learning.

Once again I am very sorry for your experience and i would like you to contact me directly at the pub if you wish to discuss this further and i would also like some more information about your visit if possible.

Reviewed September 21, 2013

I have always wanted to try this pub after hearing good reports and driving past frequently it looks very appealing.
We were shown to a table by the waitress which was reserved for us at 7.30 I sat opposite my partner then when the drinks came I decided to change seats and sit on the bench next to him I stood up and discovered I had chewing gum stuck allover the back of my jeans which I had sat on the chair! To my embarrassment I then hurried to the ladies to try to remove what was stuck allover my jeans! 20 mins later I returned to inform the waitress to which she replied "that's disgusting" and removed the chair to behind the bar. Meanwhile we ordered starters lwhich included a Luke warm soup then the mains which my partner had asked for no salad to which the waitress suggested extra mushrooms instead. The steak then came with the salad which we sent back then came back with the mushrooms that were then raw to which we sent back again then the steak just came back on its own to which the waitress advised us they would be a few minutes we finally gave up and refused them. They offered to take 25 % off the bill but when it finally came they took off a measly 5 pounds from a 50 pounds plus bill! We were prepared to pay this sort of money for an enjoyable meal and experience but unfortunately the experience was what you would expect from a two for ten sort of pub not a country Cheshire pub as described on their website staff were obviously not bothered and didn't see any sign of management very dissatisfied and disappointed

1  Thank Glaze29
Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for one night and were extremely impressed all round - we are well travelled and have stayed in many places but for price this beats them all - our bedroom was bordering on luxurious and spotless and huge bed when we were just expecting a standard double! beautiful fittings and fixtures and first class. Breakfast lovely with hot plates and well presented. The two managers were charming - will definitely come again :-)

Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

The waitress escorted us to our table & before even giving us chance to take our coats of or actually sit down she was already realing of the specials! She returned after 5 minutes to take our order & when we told her we were not ready she must have returned again within 90 seconds.

I was sharing a starter with my young son & a different waitress kindly offered to get a side plate - she never returned!! Nobody enquired about replacement drinks until we went to order at the bar. My partners Monkfish starter was clearly served on a plate that had been pre-dressed with salad. The result was that the dressing had lost its glaze, the salad leafs were wilted & actually stuck to the plate - we mentioned this to the waitress only for her not to return to the table.

The mains were okay but nothing to write home about. My partner ordered a goats cheese salad but due to the starter he felt as though he could not really enjoy it and was picking & checking the salad was fresh.

Overall food is overpriced for what you get, pub grub at restuarant prices! Waiting staff really need to be given guidance on how to seat people, take orders, return to complaints etc.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

Recently renovated, 1st visit but well worth a look.
Meal was good quality , cannot comment on value as did not pay but menu looked reasonable prices when choosing order.
Outside space looked good and parking OK.
Would recommend