“Terrible service but good food”
Review of Zig's

Zig's
Ranked #3 of 5 Restaurants in Deerwood
Cuisines: American
Round Lake Beach, IL
“Terrible service but good food”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

I think we just had a bad server. Some of the others actually helped pick up the slack. This restaurant is very nice with great views of the lake, woods, and golf course. The food was great and the beer selection was good.

Visited June 2013

Minnesota, USA
“Maybe we caught them on a bad day”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

It took nearly 10 minutes just to get a hot dog and there was only one other group in the restaurant. Maybe we caught them off guard, but it was lunch time and you'd think they'd be ready. I'd be a little nervous to try eating there when it's crowded.

• Visited May 2013
Twin Cities MN
“Perfect for our crew”
Reviewed August 12, 2012

The restaurant we planned to visit had an hour long wait, and Zig's was the next closest place. I've golfed here and had a beer in the past had no idea what to expect of the restaurant, but we were pleasantly surprised. Beyond the great view and the outdoor dining options, we found the menu to be more interesting than expected. The options aren't vast, but there was definitely something for everyone in our party (including the vegetarian). We liked it so much we held our next 9-person family dinner there and 8 of the 9 of us were very pleased with our meals (I'm told the patty melt was less than stellar). Maybe the sweet potato fries and long island iced tea had an unduly positive affect on my view of the place, but we were very comfortable and the staff did a great job keeping all of us happy.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank KCinMN
Minneapolis area
“Skip this restaurant & find another spot for dining.”
Reviewed November 9, 2011

I love food & I don't find many things wrong with restaurants, but this one just really missed the mark. It is owned by Ruttger's & they have a wonderful resort that we love staying at, but somehow this restaurant has slipped under their radar & needs major work in the kitchen department.
We dined there during Oktoberfest & possibly the reason that our meal was such a downer is that it was the last day that Zig's would be open for the season. Perhaps they didn’t have enough food left to serve us an appealing meal.
My husband ordered the Oktoberfest meal of raspberry pork loin with braised cabbage. We laughed at the tiny sized portion on his plate & he commented "I didn't realize I was ordering the 'dieter's plate'. The pork loin was very dry & the "braised cabbage" was straight out of a jar or can, with no sprucing it up. His meal was a big disappointment.
My teenage son ordered the chicken cordon blue & we were all surprised when it came out with a brownish colored, sweet gravy like substance that had the eye appeal of vomit. The dried out edges of the chicken looked like they had been in the oven for half a day or more. I don't think I have ever sent a meal back to the kitchen, but this meal was the most substandard meal and unappealing, visually, that we have ever received.
The server was gracious & offered to get us another meal, which we did.
I ordered the pan fired walleye dinner. The fish was delicious, but it was not as described as "pan fried". It had a heavy batter & was deep fried. I loved it either way, but it did not coincide with the menu description.
Our other teenager had the ribs and he had no comments or complaints about his meal.
We had to chuckle as an ‘off duty employee’ was sitting at the bar, with her legs draped across the next bar stool & either talking on the phone loudly & obnoxiously or talking to the bar tender. We thought it was a bit rude & shed another bad light on Zig’s.
The decor & view is beautiful, but the food is really lacking, which is unfortunate.
This restaurant has great potential, if they can get the kitchen to produce decent tasting & visually appealing meals.

• Visited October 2011