“Great Fishing Trip”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Deer River
Pines Resort & Campgrounds
Escanaba, Michigan
“Great Fishing Trip”
Reviewed February 5, 2011

Seven of us spent a week fishing at the resort. The owner John, showed us the area to fish, and plowed a road out on the ice to get to the area. We limited out in perch,northern pike,and several walleye (too big to keep). I highly recommend this to anyone who likes fishing. We had an excellent fishing trip.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends

Families
Solo
Business
Waconia, MN
Reviewed January 31, 2011

We take an annual trip to The Pines every year to go ice fishing. We really love the owners of the resort, and the cabins are great! We have luck most years going up there as far as fish goes, and this year was the best fishing we have seen yet. They will clean your fish if you would like them too, although we always clean our own. You can even take your days catch up to The Gosh Dam Place and they will cook them for you, and throw in fries, cole slaw, and baked beans for $8 per person. They are looking to add some additional family friendly activities this coming summer, so I am planning a trip with the family too.

Overall, we love this resort, its owners, and all of the amenities that are there and surround it. I would highly recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
door county
Reviewed March 9, 2010

Well, my boyfriend and I wanted to go to Lake Winnie to go ice fishing. He has been there before, but I never had. He stayed at a different resort on the other side of the lake the last time he visited. When we made the reservation at The Pine, he requested a cabin right on the water and we were told we would be able to have one. They mailed us a confirmation letter, with the cabin number (5).

When we arrived there, the male owner was very rude. There were other gentlemen in the lodge that he was talking to. We asked to check in and he said we were moved to cabin 10 because his "buddies" were staying in cabin 5. He tried to make it seem like he did us a favor because cabin 10 had more beds than 5.. well, it was just me and my boyfriend, we didn't need 2 more beds. He went to give us the key and said, "oh nevermind, it's unlocked." and pointed out the cabin. We didn't even recieve a key!!!!!! This was Valentine's Day weekend and my boyfriend had gotten me some expensive jewelry. I kept that locked in our truck, along with my purse and any other valuables we didn't want laying around in our unlocked cabin when we were out on the ice, which was basically all day, because that's why we went to Lake Winnie. Also, the place was dead. I think there was one other cabin rented besides the one his "buddies" were staying in. I'm sure he could've easily given us another lake-front cabin. We asked the owner about ice conditions and if people were having luck catching fish that winter. He was very rude and said to just "drive out and ask" people that were fishing. When we asked how thick the ice was, he said "Well, I'm not gonna go out there and drill the holes for you". We were absolutely shocked. It's common practice to ask about ice conditions if you're not familiar with the water.

We ended up meeting a very nice clerk at the Gosh Dam convenience store just down the road. Her name was Pam, and she was the best! We told her about our experience with the owner and she said that was NOT the first complaint she's heard about him. She recommended other resorts for us to try the next year, as we want to make going there an annual trip.

When I went to pay our balance, the female owner was in the lodge. She was nicer than her husband and recommended places to eat and a casino to go to, since I told her that's what we were looking to do after getting off the ice. She was friendler than her husband and I was glad I didn't have to deal with him again.

Overall the trip was great, but I would NEVER stay there again. At $100 a night, I don't want to be treated that poorly. The cabins were smaller than I had thought.. it was fine for my boyfriend and I, even though it slept up to 8 people, I would never stay with more than 2 in that cabin. Also, we couldn't figure out how to work the TV. I've worked digital cable and dishes before, but I couldn't figure this one out. Neither of us wanted to go ask the owner. Didn't matter though, we had peace and quiet without it, and the TV was smaller than my computer screen anyways.

I look forward to going back to Lake Winnie, and look forward even more to finding a nicer resort with nicer people. I've worked in the hotel business for 6 years and would never treat a guest the way he treated his. I'll take Pam's advice and stay somewhere she's recommended!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ah89

Been to Pines Resort & Campgrounds? Share your experiences!