“Cool atmosphere, awesome food”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Crosby
Nordic Inn Medieval Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 1 Crosby B&B and Inns
Yankton, South Dakota
“Cool atmosphere, awesome food”
Reviewed July 24, 2013

It's a really cool place - we got to stay in Odin's loft, which was the Viking ship. The place was very clean, the bed and the air mattress were both really comfortable, and the jacuzzi bath was relaxing. We were the only ones staying the night we were there, and I think that's why we didn't get to dress up or anything, despite us having asked several times.....at one point, we just started trying stuff on that was displayed in our room, only to find out that stuff was for sale (no pricetags on anything)....but we didn't know because we hadn't been told anything and there was no tour for us. He just kept saying he had stuff we could try on, but he was tired from the weekend and the phone kept ringing off the hook, so he was very busy. I was disappointed in that. I got the impression this place was more for people looking to party & drink all night at the bar there. As a family with two kids, that obviously was not what we were looking for.

That said, I was glad we got to try this place for a night. I had never stayed at a B&B before. Steinarr, the host does it all himself, and is a jack of all trades. We did enjoy his homemade rootbeer on tap, and I was most impressed with his food - OMG everything was phenomenal!!! The food was all from scratch and he uses a lot of fresh food from his garden, fresh blueberries for the muffins. They were huge portions too - I ate more than I should've and wished I could've eaten more!! We ate supper around 8 after apps, as he said we would, and breakfast was ready at 9. We were given dull knives to eat with, which was great because we got to eat Viking style! We were thrilled that he put real effort into our meals, especially since we were the only ones there. He even made his own oatmeal soap which smelled wonderful, and the Viking stuff he had for sale looked professionally made, even though he said he did it all himself - also impressive! Had there been pricetags on stuff, I would've been inclined to buy a souvinir...

The meals were reasonably priced, as was our room. Overall, it was worth the money for a unique atmosphere and fantastic food.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ificouldonlyfly

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Visited for a night. Arrived late at 9:00 so missed dinner. Host visited with me at bar while other guests finished their after dinner conversation elsewhere before joining us at the bar. Most of us were up till three telling tales, some quite tall, and jokes, some quite bad and some quite good, around the bar while enjoying the host's home brewed beverages.

Is the host eccentric? Hello! Seventeen years ago he left a job as a meteorologist and converted a church to a Viking Hall and since then has earned his living hosting Viking evenings. You pull a chain and provide a password to gain entry. The Viking Inn experience wouldn't exist if he were not.

Is the Host's humor "insensitive"? He didn't seem that way to me. He has plenty of candle power and several of his puns went by unnoticed. He was diplomatic at times when the need arose. But the evening I was there the other guests were up for anything and nothing seemed off limits to the host or other guests. If a packers fan were present, folks might have exercised their discretion and not told packer jokes. On the other hand, they may not have exercised their discretion and told packer jokes. If you are a packer fan and get offended being the butt of the jokes, this may not be your horn of mead. Same comment applies for at least two meanings of "packer". Political correctness didn't seem relevant the night I was there.

Is the host egotistical? Didn't seem that way to me. He is a host, so has to keep the evening rolling and also has to keep it from derailing from it's own momentum. Tough balance. Almost got a hint as the evening's conversation turned to religion but at that point the host retired leaving us in the company of his co-host. There was some suspicion that he may be an atheist. Had he stayed with us and been intolerant of the expressions of faith by others that evening, the we would know him to egotistical regarding religion. But he retired, so I can't answer the question. But even if he were, or if he hollars at guests who are inconsiderate of the Inn, that would just be part of the entire Viking Inn package. You don't go to the owner operated Viking Inn expecting it to have the policies of the corporate owned Holiday Inn.

I had fun. Know some who would have been offended by much of the humor. When I hang with those folks I enjoy their type of humor. When I'm not with them I enjoy humor that would offend them. Understanding and abiding by the distinction works for me and works for them. Combining the two could lead to trouble so I don't.

Can't speak to whether the Viking Inn's limits are set by the host based upon his assessment of the folks in attendance or whether the same limits, or lack thereof, applies at all times.

Everyone who came up from dinner spoke highly of it.

Room Tip: I was in the small Lookout room in the old bell tower. I was traveling alone and it was fine for me...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Anchorage
Reviewed June 25, 2013

We stayed in the Jarl's den with our 2 and 4 year old girls on a floor mattress. Freya's Boudoir would have had more room for a mattress and Odin's loft would have been even better because of the private bathroom that is a room unto itself (perfect for sleeping girls). Ultimately all of the rooms have lots of space and amenities, and are uniquely viking-esque for adults!

When we arrived Steinarr was very accommodating and showed us around for a bit while the other guests arrived. He has you book with a private password to give him when you arrive. I suppose a lot of people would come to look otherwise. One thing that made us very happy was Steinarr's great handling and entertaining of our girls (who both brought princess dresses to play along). His jokes were witty and full of innuendo that made things hilarious for the adults and went well over our girls heads (my wife and I likened this to a Shrek movie). This made things memorable for us AND our girls.

The beer selection was perfect (try Steinarr's homemade mead!), dinner was delicious, the viking games were fun and made to be played with a drinking horn in hand, and the rooms were comfortable when it was time to call it a night. We would love to come back and rent the whole Inn out with 10-16 of our closest friends... and now have plans to do so this winter!

If you're on the fence about coming here, do it! It was great fun for the whole family or for couples. We won't soon forget the fun we had.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Aaron K
Sauk Centre, Minnesota
Reviewed April 28, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Nordic Inn last weekend. Looking for excitement and we found it. The host, Steinarr, did a phenomenal job of entertaining 3 couples from varied backgrounds. He kept the conversation flowing and was humorous. Our room was clean and spacious. Provided homemade soap which was a nice touch (we don't like commercial soaps). It was cool to be a Viking for a night. The custom crafted homemade oatmeal stout, wine and mead helped to reduce stress levels. The pork roast was delectable! Grateful to eat healthy and sustainable foods. Additionally, we played a creative adventure game which my wife thoroughly enjoyed. It is best if you arrive with an open mind and positive focus and allow yourself to be in the moment. Thor the Great Dane is also worthy of mention. It was fun to chat with the host who is passionate and truly a fine man who is fearless and diplomatic yet tells a good dirty joke as well as clean ones. We appreciated the hash and muffins at breakfast. Definitely ate well. I cannot think of any criticism to share. Would love to stay here again. Liked the host's personal philosophy of life and his ability to savor and live without apology. Legendary, memorable, fun, and we would recommend to anyone who has a good sense of humor!

Room Tip: We stayed in Jarl's Den. It would be fun to stay in Odin's Loft or the lockerroom also.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed October 10, 2012

My husband and I celebrated our 11th wedding anniversary at the Nordic Inn this past weekend. We had a blast! The host is great; it was a lot of fun sitting around the lounge and joking (and drinking) with the other guests. The food (both the evening meal and breakfast) was fantastic. Huge portions, incredibly tasty.

This is not your typical B&B. When you arrive, there are costumes to put on. The decor ranges from historical to wacky. Table utensils consist of forged daggers, and eating with one's hands is encouraged. Our bed was in a Viking ship! We also had a big jacuzzi hot tub in our enormous private bath (we stayed in "Oden's Loft"). The town of Crosby has antique malls all along Main Street, for some interesting shopping. Overall I highly recommend the Nordic Inn for couples looking for something a little (or a lot) different. Skol!

Room Tip: Oden's Loft is the best room IMO. It's not completely private (the Viking ship, where you s...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 932Anna_W
New Prague, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed October 1, 2012

My boyfriend & I stayed at the inn for my birthday. What a fun & unique experience!! The inn was set up SO amazing. Very beautiful!! The food portions were huge & very plentiful. It was fun to eat using viking utensils! My boyfriend & I are quiet people, but we love to laugh. So, the Viking made our stay incredibly enjoyable! The Viking was very respectful & not rude at all. I am an extremely sensitive woman, & I was not offended once. You just need to go there with a sense of humor & an open mind. We defiantly want to go back!!! :-) Kyle & Rachel

Room Tip: My boyfriend & I stayed in Odins loft. We loved it! Very romantic! The bed overlooks the inn...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Brainerd, Minnesota
Reviewed September 24, 2012

The B&B was OK- food good, staff strange. Owner was a bit arrogant did not seem to care too much about his customers. The Inn could use a good cleaning- showing its age in many areas. Entrance (yard area) very dirty, Plumbing in room not working properly.We did have a fun time with the other guests- many laughs. He did serve good beers.

Room Tip: There all OK- locker room would be my choice next time (if there was a next time).
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank RJLEE56
Also consider these accommodations in or near Crosby
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Baxter
Baymont Inn & Suites Baxter/Brainerd Area
Cragun's Resort on Gull Lake
Cragun's Resort on Gull Lake
#2 of 3 in East Gull Lake

Been to Nordic Inn Medieval Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!