“OK- bit a strange”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Crosby
Nordic Inn Medieval Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 1 Crosby B&B and Inns
Brainerd, Minnesota
“OK- bit a strange”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

The B&B was OK- food good, staff strange. Owner was a bit arrogant did not seem to care too much about his customers. The Inn could use a good cleaning- showing its age in many areas. Entrance (yard area) very dirty, Plumbing in room not working properly.We did have a fun time with the other guests- many laughs. He did serve good beers.

Room Tip: There all OK- locker room would be my choice next time (if there was a next time).
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank RJLEE56

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Eagan, Minnesota
Reviewed September 24, 2012

First the good: the food, decor, booze selection. Now the bad. The innkeeper was incredibly mean. As an inter-racial couple, my partner and I were terribly offended by his racist humor. He made fun of people with cancer and with mental illness, even after I let him know I didn't like it. He made homophobic comments. He was disrespectful of a group of older women who were there with us at the time, having power struggles when they were not interested in his lame show . He made fun of people for their religious beliefs. He runs this inn for his own fantasy and fun. He is upfront about not caring about the guest. We were not given a list of itemized charges at checkout and he was not there to explain charges. For all the talk about "big business" he was sure quick to get his money out of us. For all the disrespect for regulations, he sure had a lot of rules.The show was lame. I made better skits as a kid at camp. Not worth the money. The floor was coming loose in our room. The bath tub was dirty. The bath tub handles fell off. Avoid.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
8 Thank M H
Steinarr, Owner at Nordic Inn Medieval Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
I normally do not respond to reviews as reviews normally speak for themselves. However this review needs a response. First off we held up the show for this couple so they could join us. They were not here for preliminaries with me getting people used to the humor that entails. Second the ladies that he said that I was disrespectful to sent me an e-mail telling me how much fun they had. Third if your coming to a medieval brew and bed, with the crazy viking as in innkeeper and you can kill other guests and take all their possession but their Kronar and can sleep in a Viking longship suspended over the great room and I answer the phone Nordic Inn Crazy Viking what can I do to ya. when do you get a hint that its not politically correct. By making fun of everyone we make fun of no one. People who take life too serious generally do not like my place. Then again I made a place that pushes the edge a bit and thats how I create memories for those willing to have fun. Also to say I am racist is almost laughable I was part of an interracial couple my son is of mixed race.

The real reason he was upset was because he was presented with charges without knowing the details. I can understand how that would upset one. I did everyone else's bill the night before as I had to go to a Vikings game the next morning and would not be there for the breakfast. They retired early so I could not do their bill. I left it to my staff in training. They were warned to go over the bill with guests before charging them. They failed so I failed in that respect. The rest is really not true but once one is upset they are upset about everything.
Oslo, Minnesota
Reviewed September 17, 2012

This was one of the best places I have ever stayed. Nothing like having a great beer and drinking out of a horn. Sharing the experience with a great viking. The food was excellent and you had to eat it with a big old knife. The viking made it a memorable stay. Thor, the great dane was as gentle as they come. We left with a couple Kronar in our pockets and a cool looking helmet to drink beer in my horn down the road. We are now trying to set up a group to go in the future.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Golden, Colorado
Reviewed July 24, 2012

We drove out of our way to stay at the Nordic Inn Medieval Bed and Breakfast and it was absolutely worth it. It's a Viking Inn. Run by a Viking. You get to sleep in a (faux) Viking boat. The Viking is utterly charming. He cooks you a Viking meal. You eat with Viking flatware. He tries to get you drunk. You get to buy a Viking helmet and shoes. The kids go wild because it's a... freakin'... Viking!
If you get it, you get it. The place is clean, the service is delightful. It is not an outrageously priced place so drive the extra miles to go here. Take lots of pictures. It will make your vacation unforgettable.

Room Tip: Any room is good, but the one up top that is in the boat is the best.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Moorhead, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed June 29, 2012

If you're looking for something different and fun you will have a great time like we did! If you don't like trying new things or having fun, stay home.

Julie Wagner, Moorhead, MN

Room Tip: Each room is very different including size, theme and several have hot tubs. The site shows the room...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed May 20, 2012

We saw the Nordic Inn on the Travel Channel a few years ago and it was always in the back of our minds to visit. We love weird, off the beaten path types of experiences. I've read all of the reviews and all of them have at least a grain of truth. If you are looking for a quiet, romantic evening or a chance to catch up with long lost relatives, this is not the place for you. Steinarr is the entertainment and the center of attention. That said; I did not find him to be rude at all. He was a very gracious and involved host. His helpers were also very attentive. The humor was raunchy and ribald, but this is meant for adults. When I called to make the reservation, Steinarr was upfront about the entertainment offered. We stayed in Odin’s loft which had its own set of stocks and was decorated with weapons and painted to look like you were surrounded by sea. Since it is a loft, the bed area is open to the rest of the inn. There is a very large bathroom for changing, so I felt I had enough privacy. My husband and I went to bed a little earlier than the other guests (around 12:30), but when I asked people to be a little quieter, Steinarr immediately moved the rest of the party downstairs. He was very respectful of our space. I would stay in the loft again, but if you are shy, another room may be more to your liking. The food was delicious and plentiful. The appetizers were large trays of veggies with dip, smoked fish, cheese and bread and crab dip. I could have made a meal of the appetizers. I think the appetizers were served around 7 and we played a few games and then went down for the feast. Again, the food was delicious and plentiful. There was a lot of toasting and joking between courses and we finished eating around 11. It sounds late, but believe me, there is so much food you want a lot of time to digest it all. My water glass was never empty. Breakfast was also delicious. Overall, the inn was very clean and comfortable and we had a fantastic experience. We would love to back with a group.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank SherriandBrandon
Eden Prairie, Minnesota
Reviewed March 16, 2012

The Nordic Inn is beautifully decorated and offers a complete removal from your daily life. Steinarr, the innkeeper and host, has a wonderful personality and hilarious jokes and banter. Remember, this is a Viking-themed inn, so if you don't have a sense of humor or are easily offended, maybe choose something "safer" with little pink curtains and a white picket fence like every other run-of-the-mill B&B (this place ENCOURAGES adult humor). But if you like to drink, laugh, and enjoy a night that you'll remember forever, then the Nordic Inn is one of the best places on earth.

Room Tip: Odin's Loft is awesome! Imagine sleeping in a viking longship overlooking the gorgeous main room...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Alex M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Crosby
Country Inn Deerwood
Cragun's Resort on Gull Lake
#2 of 3 in East Gull Lake
Days Inn & Suites Baxter Brainerd Area
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Brainerd-Baxter

Been to Nordic Inn Medieval Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!