“Tembe - Beautiful Place, People and Experience”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tembe Elephant Park
Tembe Elephant Park Accommodation
Reviewed August 2, 2013

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at Tembe. The people were warm and welcoming and catered to every need we had. We saw leopard on our first game drive which kicked the stay off very nicely and each subsequent game drive was fantastic. The food was excellent and the ambiance was really lovely. There was such attention to detail that each table had their national flag at dinner time - my table had three nationalities in the one family and each nationality was represented. The local people came by and gave us a treat by dancing and singing. Overall, it was a great experience and I would return in a heartbeat. I was sad to leave.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed July 24, 2013

A real highlight of our holiday. Complete lodge tents with a lot of athmospere: outdoor shower, elctrical blankets to keep the cold out of your bed. Super staff who are doing there best to feel you at home. This starts with a warm welcomming and ends with a real sincere good bye. Good restaurant, experienced rangers. Nothing left to wish for.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 28, 2013

My husband and I visited Tembe for four nights, and we thoroughly enjoyed our time there - Tembe Elephant Park is a real gem! The staff are wonderful, and from the minute we entered the gates, we could tell they feel enormous pride in the park.

While the camp and tents are not high-end luxury, they are very well appointed and very comfortable - the whole experience exudes "Africa" in a very real way, and the staff certainly know how to make their guests feel special. We stayed in the Matriarch suite 1, which is the furthest away from the dining and pool area. This was a plus for us, since we had a lovely walk through the bush to and from meals.

The elephant at Tembe are, of course, amazing and our game drives included daily encounters with them. We were also lucky enough to see lion every day, and the bird life is excellent.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Julie R
Reviewed May 15, 2013

I couldn't agree more with the other reviews....Tembe is not your luxurious 5 star swish establishment with no soul, Tembe is genuine African hospitality with service that is personal and heartfelt. Accommodation is comfortable, a little rustic. We enjoyed being woken up by the noise of the elephant feeding a few metres away from our room! The outdoor shower is intimidating, but you get used to it. Just make sure you do a quick reci before taking the bold step out the door in your birthday suit....I nearly had to share my soap with a baby snake! Food was great, home cooked and tasty. The only thing I was disappointed with was the 'malva pudding', which was nothing near. Please could the management email me so I can give them a winning recipe for Malva! Overall a wonderful stay. Oh yes and thanks to KB and Khulu for the best ever lion experience it made our trip!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank LondonLynelle
Reviewed April 14, 2013

From the singing and cool damp towels to mop the dust and sweat off on arrival, to the final farewell from the elephants, this game park really delivers on excitement, accommodation, hospitality and relaxation. Community involvement ensures committed, dedicated service from the staff, the expert game park management by KZN Wildlife means great game viewing, ongoing research projects mean encounters with passionate people dedicated to animal and environment conservation, and having a foot massage in the bush, under a well-appointed gazebo, with wild Nyala in attendance (so close I could touch them) was an experience not to be missed. But it gets better: with lions roaring in the background, Isilo the elephant came for a visit to our tent at 4 in the morning. He munched his way through a couple of kilos of tasty bush then moved round to sample some tender green leaves on a tree above the tent. His tusks were no more than a foot from me. A truly moving experience. He stayed around until it was time to go on the morning game drive, so we called Tom, the camp manager, to come and escort us: Tom spoke gently to Isilo the whole time we were walking down the path, and Isilo rumbled gently back, keeping his distance, but letting us know he was boss. Respect all round.
The only slight criticism I could offer is regarding the food. Each individual menu time was fine, if a little staid, but the combinations on offer were a little unusual, and didn't always work. Roast warthog was very dry, even with the rather stingy amount of mustard sauce, and didn't go we'll with the chicken casserole served with it. And no green veg at all.....

But we had a wonderful few days and it was excellent value for money. Looking forward to next visit!

Room Tip: Ask for a tent away from the main camp fire area and the pool for peace and quiet, and possible elep...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Allison A
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Me and my husband spent 3 nights there and it was much better than we had anticipated (even with all the excellent reviews). All the staff was super friendly and helpful, the atmosphere was great, the food was delicious, the accommodation was comfortable and lovely, Vusi (our guide) was very knowledgeable and fun, we had many close encounters with elephants (which was brilliant!)... in a nutshell it was a fantastic experience. We definitely recommend staying there and hope to visit again soon.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank de1979
Reviewed April 5, 2013

I have been lucky enough to experience tented camps/lodges in Kenya, Tanzania & Botswana and several that are way more luxurious than TEMBE, I have never stayed in one that truly exudes REAL AFRICA whilst offering every comfort.

As all great hotels & restaurants it is the staff & service that makes the place and TEMBE does not disappoint.

Wonderful game drives with the very knowledgeable and erudite, Tom, the camp Manager.

Superb service from the delightful girls who "man" the reception, bar and restaurant.

The perfectly acceptable food and the thrill of ISILO (a huge tusker) feeding next to ones tent in the middle of the night made our stay a wonderful experience

Two night was not enough and I have to return as this place is heaven.

Room Tip: Chose the SUNI tent - they are the least expensive but very comfortable & well equipped
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
#2 of 4 in Maputaland Coastal Forest Reserve
Kosi Bay Lodge
Kosi Bay Lodge
#4 of 6 in Kosi Bay

Been to Tembe Elephant Park Accommodation? Share your experiences!