“Couldn't Have Been Better”
Review of The Red Lion

The Red Lion
Ranked #2 of 3 Restaurants in Southwick
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Party of 12 recently had a meal here on a Friday evening. In my opinion a good test of any restaurant's performance is how well they can cope with that sort of number. I am pleased to say that the Red Lion can without any problem. The service,food,in fact the whole evening was superb. Would highly recommend this restaurant.

There are newer reviews for The Red Lion

Reviewed May 19, 2013

We have just had Sunday lunch at the Red Lion what a disappointment!! We ordered two steak pies and a roast chicken. The steak pies were warmed up in a microwave and then put in the oven, this we were told was to speed up the process. Frankly I would rather wait a while and have food which Is enjoyable.The vegetables were all microwaved,with the exception of the roast potatoes which were clearly prepared in advance and fried in some way to heat them. The slices of chicken which came with the roast was most unappertizing and had no accommpaniment (stuffing for example) the gravy on all three meals was out of a packet ,too thick and also congealed. We complained to the manager who frankly gave the impression that we were being difficult and refuted any suggestion that there was a problem with the food . I have eaten at this public house on many occassions and would have to strongly disagree with him todays food was not up to standard. Had we recieved a more positive response from the manager we may have given the pub another go and put todays fiasco down to the staff and management having a ' bad day '. We left without ordering Dessert or coffee and as it stands we will not be recommending or eating at this pub again.

5  Thank Gregory P
redlionsouthwick, Owner at The Red Lion, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2013

The team at The Red Lion could not have been more accommodating on Sunday. You were extremely rude to every member of the front of house team and your behavior offended other diners. Your empty plates (save a new potato) did not support your complaints. You do not have the option to return and threatening to write a bad review does not get you a free meal. Joseph Levy Chef/owner

Reviewed March 21, 2013

I thoroughly recommend the food at the Red Lion pub, it was amazing! The presentation and the taste were wonderful! Lovely big portions, a beautiful location, I shall definitely visit again!

1  Thank AlexTCarson
Reviewed February 14, 2013

My husband and I ate here on a Saturday night. The service was warm and friendly and the food was lovely!!

We both had the steak with stilton on the top and it was the nicest steak I have ever had - melted in your mouth!

Highly recommended - lovely little pub in the country!

1  Thank Ann-Marie C
Reviewed February 10, 2013

My family and I visited this place due to the recommendations on this site, I wished we hadn't bothered.

My wife and I both chose the lamb rump with vegetables and saute potatoes (£14.00) and within 15 minutes it arrived. This was far too quick and it was apparent why we weren't asked how we wanted our lamb cooked. The lamb had been slow cooked and was very fatty and bland. It hadn't been seasoned well and the gravy was too thick and synthetic. Lamb rump is a tender cut and should be treated in the same way as a steak. It also shouldn't have reams of fat hanging off it. The potatoes were not crispy and under seasoned, it was clear that they had been prepared earlier (earlier that day or the previous day I don't know). It was accompanied by some strange tasting cabbage, it had a hint of curry flavour, some sliced carrots and a sole floret of broccolli.

The children had chicken breast smothered in cheese and bacon served with chips. It was what it was although the chips hadn't been cooked enough.

Desserts appear to have been bought in, some of the paper lining was still attached to the base of the cheesecake.

We were the only customers aged under 60 and the food is clearly aimed towards the elderly. Easy to eat, bland, under seasoned and boring food and overpriced for what it is.

redlionsouthwick, Owner at The Red Lion, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2013

Dear Sir, I was very sorry to read that you didn't enjoy your meal with us. Thank you for taking the time to air your views, we do appreciate all feed back and will take your comments on board.
In reply I would question why a 15 minutes wait was not long enough, we try to organise our bookings and kitchen so that customers don't have a long wait.
With regard to the Lamb rump, it is braised in red wine, with rosemary, juniper berries and red current jelly for 4 hours and then the stock is used as a base for the gravy, salt and pepper is on the table if additional seasoning is desired and, again, I am sorry if it was too thick for your liking. Lamb rump is inherently fatty giving the meat such a lovely flavour but I will look at the possibility of trimming it further. The potatoes are cooked to order and the cabbage was seasoned with some mixed herbs and spices so it is not too bland. Several of our desserts are sourced from a local patisserie as we are very restricted on space and therefore unable to produce enough in house but you definitely should not have any paper attached to the base and I will look in to this. Finally, it is not our experience that people over 60 like bland food. I hope we have the opportunity to make amends on another occasion. Joseph Levy Chef/owner