“The best steak ever!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Red Lion

The Red Lion
Ranked #2 of 2 Restaurants in Southwick
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“The best steak ever!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013

My husband and I ate here on a Saturday night. The service was warm and friendly and the food was lovely!!

We both had the steak with stilton on the top and it was the nicest steak I have ever had - melted in your mouth!

Highly recommended - lovely little pub in the country!

1 Thank Ann-Marie C

Portsmouth
“Food for the elderly”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

My family and I visited this place due to the recommendations on this site, I wished we hadn't bothered.

My wife and I both chose the lamb rump with vegetables and saute potatoes (£14.00) and within 15 minutes it arrived. This was far too quick and it was apparent why we weren't asked how we wanted our lamb cooked. The lamb had been slow cooked and was very fatty and bland. It hadn't been seasoned well and the gravy was too thick and synthetic. Lamb rump is a tender cut and should be treated in the same way as a steak. It also shouldn't have reams of fat hanging off it. The potatoes were not crispy and under seasoned, it was clear that they had been prepared earlier (earlier that day or the previous day I don't know). It was accompanied by some strange tasting cabbage, it had a hint of curry flavour, some sliced carrots and a sole floret of broccolli.

The children had chicken breast smothered in cheese and bacon served with chips. It was what it was although the chips hadn't been cooked enough.

Desserts appear to have been bought in, some of the paper lining was still attached to the base of the cheesecake.

We were the only customers aged under 60 and the food is clearly aimed towards the elderly. Easy to eat, bland, under seasoned and boring food and overpriced for what it is.

• Visited February 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
redlionsouthwick, Owner at The Red Lion, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear Sir, I was very sorry to read that you didn't enjoy your meal with us. Thank you for taking the time to air your views, we do appreciate all feed back and will take your comments on board.
In reply I would question why a 15 minutes wait was not long enough, we try to organise our bookings and kitchen so that customers don't have a long wait.
With regard to the Lamb rump, it is braised in red wine, with rosemary, juniper berries and red current jelly for 4 hours and then the stock is used as a base for the gravy, salt and pepper is on the table if additional seasoning is desired and, again, I am sorry if it was too thick for your liking. Lamb rump is inherently fatty giving the meat such a lovely flavour but I will look at the possibility of trimming it further. The potatoes are cooked to order and the cabbage was seasoned with some mixed herbs and spices so it is not too bland. Several of our desserts are sourced from a local patisserie as we are very restricted on space and therefore unable to produce enough in house but you definitely should not have any paper attached to the base and I will look in to this. Finally, it is not our experience that people over 60 like bland food. I hope we have the opportunity to make amends on another occasion. Joseph Levy Chef/owner
portsmouth
“Really nice staff and good food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

Three of us ate at the Red Lion in the evening of 9 January. We have eaten here before and the standard of service and food remains consistently high. This pub / restaurant is very much a traditional place with a small bar providing a range of beers, spirits and wine together with a dining area arranged in two interconnecting areas. Whilst the decor may not be considered modern or trendy it is a cosy, comfortable and timeless example of (in my opinion) how a country pub should look and feel.... complete of course with a log fire. The staff always make you feel welcome here and are helpful and obliging in dealing with any special requests. We ordered one lamb in a red sauce with all the usual trimmings(from the special board) and also two chicken wrapped in bacon with mozarella cheese sauce, chips and salad . The portions were very generous and of excellent quality. The three mains plus 3 puddings and three glasses of wine came to £54 which we regarded as good value for what we had. Sitting in the village of Southwick, which has remained relatively untouched by the years, is the right setting for a pub like this and adds to the overall experience of visiting this place. There is a large car park at the side / rear of the pub which makes parking in the small village easy. Highly recommended.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank alangee
Southampton, England, United Kingdom
“Dining at the Red Lion”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2012

This is a great place to eat ! You receive a warm friendly greeting by the staff, excellent car parking facility, Nice freshly cooked food at very reasonable prices. Worth a visit, also nice hotel if you require accomodation.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Anthony H
bobstergirl
“Lovely ambience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

I had an impromptu visit and on a wednesday it was packed nonetheless we were given a table. We all enjoyed our food which ranged from prawns, chicken and steak. The bar staff were so friendly, the waitress however needed a few more lessons at charm school, when my friend asked for a drink she was snappy in her response of "I'm too busy go to the bar" that aside what a lovely atmosphere, we usually go to the golden lion in the same village, that has a better choice in my tipple of choice, cider but the food here was nicer and more competitively priced.

• Visited October 2012