“Good service, clean and quiet, but nothing fancy” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Riverside Inn

Riverside Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cold Spring
Alexandria, MN
“Good service, clean and quiet, but nothing fancy”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

First, the good things:
Soft water and good water pressure
Spacious clean room
Now for the not so good thing:
The bed was not comfortable and there was some kind of plastic mattress protector on it because we were sweating while sleeping.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank Jarnel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

Our second stay here and the experience has been consistent. We will definitely stay again, partially because of the good experience and partially due to the limited available lodging options in this area.

Pros: clean rooms, reasonable rates, Free wi-fi, friendly staff, convenient to Richmond/Cold Spring area, breakfast items from the famous Cold Spring bakery. Micro and fridge in room are useful, but for some reason they are always unplugged, so if you plan to use the fridge during your stay plug it in and crank it up right away to give it time to get cold.

Cons: the name of the game at this inn is casual. The granite counters in the breakfast area are the only thing that could be called sophisticated. Expect kids (and some parents) enjoying breakfast in their pajamas. The theme rooms will either seem charming or kitschy to you, depending on your perspective.

Just set your expectations that this is a family-style motel and you will enjoy yourself

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bikemn
Cold Spring, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2012

The pool was nice and warm, the staff was friendly and the rooms all have a fun theme! We enjoyed our visit.

Room Tip: Ask them for the different themes of the rooms available
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Todd H
Richmond, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2012

My friends and I spent this past weekend at the Riverside Inn. We usually have a relaxing getaway twice a year, and the atmosphere is perfect. The staff is very courteous, and the themed rooms add a homelike quality. My favorite part of our stay is the poolside continental breakfast - the large windows overlook the Sauk River for an amazing view.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Bonnie S
Mankato, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2012

My wife and I have stayed at the Riverside Inn several times since the DeRose's took ownership in 2003. We always appreciate the friendliness and personalized service. Any requests that we have made have always been met promptly and courteously. We enjoy the "themed" rooms that make it feel like home. The pool and whirlpool are always clean and relaxing to use...sometimes it's hard to find a hotel with these amenities at a reasonable price. This one is a winner! Brian of Mankato, MN.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Brian M
Robbinsdale, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2011

I've stayed at Riverside Inn numerous times, including this past weekend, and have found it to be a perfectly wonderful place to stay. The staff is always friendly and helpful and the rooms exceptionally clean. The entire building is very clean and well maintained. The staff asked several times per day if there was anything I needed in my room. There were lots of choices at the continental breakfast each morning and I noticed the staff checking on the food several times just while I was eating. I highly recommend Riverside Inn as a wonderfull place to stay. You will enjoy the themed decorated rooms and the courteous and friendly people who work there. A stop at Riverside Inn is well worth it!!

Room Tip: The Cold Springs Room and the Back To The 50's Room would be good choices with queen sized beds...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sue G
Perham, Minnesota
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2011

I reserved this hotel over the phone for my family. We spent the night of August 27th, 2011 in the Lincoln room 103. The hotel is old and smells like it. The room cost me 95.00 with the roll away, the room was awful. It was damp and sticky, we literally stuck to the sheets. We turned the air on, to try to dry it out and went to the front desk to ask for an extra pillow and a blanket. The lady was vacuuming and after I finally got her attention and she turned the vacuum off I asked if I could please have an extra blanket and pillow. Her response..."Not if I have to go upstairs for it". I just stood there for a moment dumbfounded... she finally said I'll see what I have back here...we walked around tp the laundry room and I told her I would be glad to go upstairs to get the blankets if she would tell me where they were..."they're locked up you can't do that"...she grabbed a pillow and put a pillowcase on it then handed that to me...brushed past me and said she must have done something to her back and went upstairs...after a few minutes she came back down and handed me a blanket...I spent the night in cold springs at a damp sticky motel and was treated very rudely..this morning I asked for a receipt when I checked out...they needed to change the ink in the printer and i said no problem...10 minutes and 3 people later I was told they would mail me a receipt. This is totally unacceptable. I can assure you for 95.00 I can find a much nicer hotel with friendlier staff in ST Cloud.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank HTCFAN
riversidebunny, Owner at Riverside Inn, responded to this review, October 28, 2011
We are sorry "Avoid this motel" was dissatisfied with their stay and I, as the owner and CEO, apologize for the frustrations they encountered. A letter of apology and a gift certificate was promptly issued once I learned of their disatisfaction.

The August night they stayed was incredibly hot and humid and unfortunately our new staff did not turn on the in-room air conditioner in this guest's room prior to their arrival Therefore, the room could have felt "damp and sticky" when they arrived, however, the air conditioner would have taken care of that quite quickly.

My staff is expected to follow our family's long-standing trademarks* of "friendliness, cleanliness, and personalized service." A guest's request for additional bedding, coffee, or any other service is always met promptly and it appears this guest greatly exaggerated the staff's response to her request for "an extra pillow and a blanket."

*These trademarks have been in place for the 8+ decades our family has served in the hospitality business, beginning in 1927 with the birth of Riverside Resort in Richmond. Riverside Inn was acquired and totally renovated in 2003 (giving question to the guest's comment ,"The hotel is old and smells like it.") and in 2007, Riverside Aloha in Kauai, Hawaii was added to our hospitality mix.)

Our purpose statement has always been "to serve God and His people" and we are grateful for each and every guest who comes our way. In the 32 years my wife and I have owned and operated our family properties, we seldom hear any justified complaints. When we are in the wrong, however, we will make it right. Sometimes though it's impossible to please everyone. We invite you readers to make Riverside Inn your lodging destination on your next trip to the Cold Spring area, where clean & uniquely themed guest rooms, intimate ambiance, and cordial and attentive service await you!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cold Spring
Budget Host Avon
Budget Host Avon
#1 of 1 in Avon
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, St. Cloud West

Been to Riverside Inn? Share your experiences!