“Better than expected, alternative to non-chains”

Pedro's Grill & Cantina
Ranked #3 of 41 Restaurants in Cloquet
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Takeout
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Had a dinner here in early September as part of a trip.
I always try to find non-chain restaurants.
The food was better than expected and had pretty good portion sizes for the money.
The place was crowded when we went.
Overall, a good non-chain restaurant on the cheaper side if you are focused on budget.

Date of visit: September 2019
Write a reviewReviews (135)

Reviewed August 1, 2019

While hiking up the street from our parking place, you could smell the delicious food. That was a good thing. Entering the restaurant, the heat and ugly, run-down decor hits you square in the face. Pedro's looks like, and probably is, the result of three side by side stores connected into one, very incoherent place.
Luckily, we were seated in the area that appeared to have some semblance of a working air conditioner. Getting to this section required weaving in and out of wait staff and departing guests and other obstacles like bus trays.
Pedro's menu has many items I have never seen before on a typical Mexican restaurant menu, and the same old standbys. I expected a more authentic experience and I wasn't disappointed.
I wanted to try chilaquiles which I had seen on the on-line menu. I searched the 8 page menu repeatedly trying to find them, to no avail. The waiter said the menu item is no longer there. I ordered Teresa's Molcajetes out of curiousity. I have seen nopales in the grocery store and did not know how to cook them. Here was my chance to find out! I meant to order a chorizo dip, but I forgot and it was a good thing. I ended up taking 3/4 of my dinner home.
The mixture of chicken and prime rib with mushrooms, nopales and squash served in a grinding stone bowl with a side plate of rice, sour cream, avocado was the best Mexican food I have ever tried! The sauce was indescribably flavorful with little heat. The waiter noticed I was trying to make up tortillas with a mix of all the ingredients and having trouble, so he brought me another plate to place the tortilla on. That is the first time a waiter had done that for me and it solved my pet peeve of never having a clean, sanitary place to assemble.
Judging by the clean plates all around me, everyone in my party enjoyed their food choices, mainly different enchiladas. Pedro's pre-meal salsa and chips offering is nothing to write home about. The salsa is a bit bland and the chips were a bit stale, but if I went back, there are other menu items I would like to try. I could find out what real El Pastor pork and tres leches cake is supposed to be like.

Reviewed July 25, 2019 via mobile

We stopped here on our way to Duluth based on Google reviews, and we were not disappointed! Coming from Texas, we have had our fair share of delicious Mexican food - but this measured up or surpassed our expectations! I had the veggie burrito, and the combination of the fresh veggies, cooked veggies, cheese, and sour cream was fabulous! The other meals in my crew were satisfying as well. Definitely recommend!

Reviewed July 14, 2019 via mobile

I have been all over the country and Pedro’s is the best hands down. Service is always fast and food has always been great. You will never walk away hungry. Margaritas are AMAZING! (Local hack - has for Mary’s special margarita mix peach with a splash of cranberry)

1  Thank TravelGnome05
Reviewed May 27, 2019 via mobile

As always, the food was amazing. Margaritas were okay- they’re pre mixed. Nice environment, quick service.

Date of visit: May 2019

Been to Pedro's Grill & Cantina? Share your experiences!