“Gordy's Hi-Hat; great local drive-in”

Gordy's HI Hat Drive-Inn
Ranked #1 of 37 Restaurants in Cloquet
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Takeout
Reviewed September 22, 2012

I visited a friend in Duluth, and one of the places she said was a "must-see" was Gordy's Hi-Hat, especially since they were closing for the season in a couple of weeks. Really glad we visited. I had a shrimp burger and fries, and they were delicious. My order was taken by Gordy himself, and it was fun to read the newspaper articles up on the walls, detailing when it first opened. Nice atmosphere and good food. Don't miss it.

There are newer reviews for Gordy's HI Hat Drive-Inn

Reviewed September 20, 2012

Visiting a college in Duluth this summer, we had to make a stop in Cloquet for a burger after seeing it featured on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. It was our first trip there, for my son & I, and I have to say I was not as impressed as I thought I would be. The onion rings were TERRIBLE - raw onion for some rings, semi-cooked onion for other rings; the burgers okay but the flies (bugs) were absolutely terrible - they were everywhere. I wasn't all that impressed but my son thought it was awesome.

Well about a month later, my parents & I went to visit and of course we had to drive back to Cloquet and give it a second try - well for me second try - for my parents their first visit and for my son - countless visits since moving to Duluth. Since I knew a little more about the menu I decided to stay away from the onion rings. I decided to go with the fish sandwich, my parents both got a double cheeseburger and my son the same; along with that a family pack of fries, coleslaw and fried cheesecurds.

Although there were still a number of flies, we found a table that was in the middle of the room - so we didn't notice them as much compared to sitting close to the windows. My fish sandwich was fantastic. Four pieces of battered fish piled high on a bun with lettuce and a side of homemade tarter sauce. The fries were great - maybe a bit too much in quanitity - the coleslaw was okay and the cheesecurds were also good. The burgers were so so - as they were topped with onions, lettuce and tomato. It's not mentioned on the menu so it's a bit disappointing to scrape that off if you don't care for it, which not everyone did.

So overall, my second visit was better than the first just because I knew not what to get - but next time will ask about what's on the sandwich before I order.

I'd HIGHLY recommend the fish sandwich BUT I would keep in mind that there is A LOT of food in what you order. Just the sandwich alone probably would have been enough...but we also had a family box of fries, which we struggled to finish between the four of us, along with fried cheesecurds and coleslaw. Just WAY TOO MUCH food. I'm the type that would rather order more food because I'm still hungry than have too much and end up throwing it away. But I wish they would do something about the flies. Nothing more disgusting that having to swat away flies while you're eating :(

Reviewed September 12, 2012

We pulled into Gordy's on our way to Duluth. It is easy to find, but will close for the season in 14 days, reoprens in the spring. We each had a double cheeseburger and shared the onion rings. The burgers were a simple delight, with 2 pieces of cheese, seared thin with crunch and not overly dressed or gussied up. The quality was in a simple sandwhich done well. The onion rings were near perfect. At the end of the meal we looked at the bottom of the onion ring paper basket, NO OIL.. The rings were crunchy sweet and the breading stays with the onion. The rings are worth the trip. Only cavet is that a small drink is small about 8 ozs, not the larger size common in fast food places. For a reasonably full place it was very quiet and relaxing, even the guests have good manners.

Reviewed August 4, 2012

Easy place to stop on way to ely. Food is great basic drive inn food. Long line at the counter but it moves quickly . They just need a few more bathrooms!

Reviewed July 28, 2012 via mobile

There were five of us and we had California burgers, two boxes of onion rings, and various flavors of shakes/malts. The burgers were delicious, but the onion rings were mediocre. They were breaded rather than battered, and a bit too salty. I had a hot fudge yogurt malt, which was really good. I'm lactose intolerant, so I thought I'd try the yogurt instead of ice cream, plus I took a Lactaid tablet. Surprisingly enough, I digested it fine. Too bad we don't live close, because this place would be on my family's short list of places for dinner!

Been to Gordy's HI Hat Drive-Inn? Share your experiences!