“Run away!”
Review of Golden Gate Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cloquet
Golden Gate Motel
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Cloquet
Reviewed July 28, 2013

This would be a last resort for a place to stay! The motel attendent was friendly enough but they should have paid us to stay there! We were in a crunch when we booked the three rooms at this motel. We booked it for a party of 6 bikers who just needed a place to stay for one night. The rooms were literally falling apart. Tiles falling off of the bathroom walls mold everywhere in the bathroom, celing, walls, shower, toilet, floors. I would think the state would be interested in seeing this place condemned! We had to ask for kleenexes and toilet paper, because the three rooms together couldn't fill a roll of toilet paper. There was no door mouldings around the doors, and the heater vents were falling off the wall. The light bulb in the bathroom had to be turned in and out to use it, because the pull string was broken. Needless to say, I refused to take a shower for sanitary reasons.
Like I said.... Run away!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank kat c

Reviewed June 28, 2013

The Golden Gate Motel is terrible! I hate to say that, because the owner (who lives onsite) is really nice. In fact, she gave me a refund with no hassle. What can I say: there was a hole in the bathroom ceiling, rust around the bathtub, the frame of the 30-year-old microwave was coming apart, the walls needed about three more coats of paint, the carpet had to be about 20 years old (very dirty and gross to walk on), the fridge (no little freezer) had crumbs all over the inside, the owner said the beds were "brand new" - but they were hard as a rock and very thin...as soon as I discovered that the air conditioner and brand new deadbolt lock didn't work (at midnight, two hours after I got there), I asked for a refund. The owner did say that she had all new air conditioners waiting to be installed, but that didn't help me at all. The weird thing is, it was packed! There were no other rooms available - not that I would have taken one... I went to Black Bear Casino and paid an extra $30 for a room in the tower there. Definitely worth it. I couldn't have imagined waking up in the room at Golden Gate!

Room Tip: Do not stay here!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Laura K
Reviewed August 10, 2009

This is definately THE worst motel i have ever stayed in.. and i have stayed in some pretty seedy motels.. From the moist carpets, to the 1960s old pillows, disgusting bathrooms and not to mention the seedy bar next door, with its patrons retiring to their rooms right next to yours, fighting and screaming for hours on end.. this is by far the worst place to stay.. spend 30 bucks more and stay at the americinn!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
14  Thank Nataleigh22
Reviewed June 24, 2009

Where do I begin? With the strip club next door? Or the windows without screens that wouldn't close? Or the bugs or the dirt? Need I say more?

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
17  Thank MplsDon

Been to Golden Gate Motel? Share your experiences!