“Pleasant stay”

Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Chanhassen
Louisville, Kentucky
“Pleasant stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2012

Stayed here with my husband for a family wedding. Great location, nice room with comfy bed, nice bathroom...and amazing breakfast!! Bonus points for their friendly shuttle service that took us to the wedding. Only thing that was a bit of an inconvenience was the housekeeping service--they don't come to your room past noon. But not a huge deal, since we were a bit delayed getting out of the hotel each morning. Overall, we were impressed!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2012

We choose this particular hotel for it's convenient location to host a family gathering. The stay was great, so good in fact, we repeatedly stay here for family gatherings & have made this hotel our place of choice . The breakfast is fabulous, the rooms clean, staff friendly and the kids love the pool & water slide. I am hopeful the Holiday Inn I will be staying at the Washington DC, will measure up to Chanhassen!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Sally T
Cincinnati, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2012

This Holiday Inn Express was very close to a meeting I was having, so location made sense to stay here. As I am used to staying in the Starwood Hotels (Westin, Sheraton, etc.), this hotel left a lot to be desired for me. However, the basics were all met - clean room where I could sleep with little to no noise otherwise, clean bathroom, good breakfast served in the morning, and very quick from the time I walked in the front door until the time I was in my room (less than 1 minute). So amenity wise it was average, but everything else made the stay pleasant.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Bismarck, North Dakota
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2012

We traveled to this hotel to celebrate our wedding anniversary and to attend an athletic event in the area. This was at least our 4th or 5th time staying at this hotel for the same yearly event and prior to this we have always had a good experience. When we first started staying at this hotel, when it was new, this was a very nice hotel. Because I stay in HIE hotels weekly, I am quite familiar with their standards. While this hotel is clean, it is not nearly up to HIE quality. Beyond that, the customer service is horrible. This hotel is becoming older and more used and has not been kept up well. The exterior is nice. The interior is more cheaply furnished and could use new paint and cleaning. All in all, this would be a fine, somewhat older HIE, but for the customer service.

We arrived and asked for a late checkout. I am a platinum Priority Club member so a late checkout is something I took for granted. We were told to ask the next morning. We had a double queen room but used only one bed. The mattress is getting old and sagged toward the center somewhat, which made it a bit less comfortable to sleep. The bigger problem for me was the refrigerator that kept cycling on and off all night, giving me frequent awakening. By morning I was still exhausted. We had to leave the hotel shortly after 6am for our event. We did have some breakfast and that was great. Breakfast was the usual HIE fare and it was nice that it was ready by 6, as advertised, even on the weekend. Again, I stopped at the front desk to tell them that I'd need a late checkout but was told to talk to the day clerk who came in at 7. Since we were participating in the athletic event and had to leave it wasn't possible to wait to talk with her. I never, ever dreamed I'd be denied a late checkout. I called from the event site to talk with the day clerk. She told I should leave my event - the predominant reason for the 7 hour trip to Chanhassen - to get my things out of my room so as to not check out late. I'd offered to pay extra to stay late or to use some of my numerous Priority points to make up for the late checkout. The day clerk (Brittany) was beyond rude (the other clerks were all very nice). Ultimately I told her we wouldn't be back in time and that there was nothing I could do about it at that point. Ultimately we left our event early and didn't complete it, all due to having to check out early. I spent my time at the event stewing about how to handle things. When we returned there were nearly no cars in the parking lot (likely only the cleaning staff were there!) and it appeared there were MANY rooms left to be cleaned. Apparently leaving our room until last was out of the question.

As we left the hotel I asked for the General Managers name. His is Gary Rubbelke. I called him the day after our departure and had to leave a message. He called back the day after that. At first his tone seemed angry and argumentative. He told me how they have a Hispanic cleaning staff and how they need their time off on a Sunday for church-related activities. Another problem is how these folks already work 7 days/week but don't necessarily work 8 hours/day, so respecting their time off is important. While I completely agreed with his concerns, it seemed that those were not my concerns, as the customer. There were numerous other excuses that followed as to why he could not have accommodated my request. Ultimately he asked what I needed for him to fix things. I should have been prepared for that question. He did agree to refund my money for the night's lodging. That was worth something although he couldn't compensate for an ultimately ruined entire weekend of fun that was spoiled.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere. Unplug fridge before going to sleep.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Curi0usW0rldTraveler
, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chanhassen, responded to this review, July 3, 2012
We are sincerely sorry that this guest was not completely satisfied with her stay. We had numerous requests for late check outs that Sunday, but could not grant the requests because we were full that night and had to get the rooms ready for the arriving guests. All other guests, including other Platinum Members, fully understood, as they could empathize with the arriving guests wanting their rooms ready upon arrival. This guest, in fact, was able to check out 1 1/2 hours late, but wanted to check out later than that. Platinum Priority Club Members may receive up to a 2PM late check out if available. The problem for this guest was that a later check out was not available and she assumed it would be. We consistently strive to exceed our guests expectations and refunded this guests entire room rate because we could not satisfy her. We take great pride in our cleanliness, quality and service and regret that we could not please this valued guest.

Travelers are raving about these Chanhassen hotels

Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2011

I was worried when this was rated 3 out of 4 hotels in Chanhassen... but...now... I'd like to see what 1 and 2 were like because this one was excellent. Breakfast had everything you could imagine (for a continental included breakfast). scrambled Eggs, biscuits and gravy, hard boiled eggs, pancakes, Cinnamon rolls, yogurt, applesauce, juice, 4 cereals, bagels, muffins, toast, coffee, tea, hot coco, oatmeal... all the kids were happy. The pool was also perfect for our four girls. They LOVED the waterside and rode it over and over again. It was rather crowded Sunday morning...but Sunday night we were the only ones in the pool all night. The water slide was only open morning and evening but that was not a problem for us since we knew that ahead of time. We stayed in a suite which included a refrigerator and a microwave with lots of cabinets for storage space. That was great when traveling with young kids to be able to make some quick kid friendly meals. Plus the Suite was much better for our family then the smaller single rooms. The hotel was everything I expected it to be. Of course I wasn't' expecting a Hilton or a Sheridan...it was an excellent Holiday Inn Express.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank hullerrl
Saint Cloud, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2011

I would have rated this a 5 since my friends had a wonderful time staying here. This was our "girls only" weekend and we chose the Holiday Inn Express for its location to Chanhassen Theater and because Holiday Inn's are normally my first choice to stay. To make a long story short, I made our reservation under government rate (which I can do) but I wasn't able to be with the group due to an injury. I called the motel and when I told them I wouldn't be with, both of our rooms went up $50 each. Understandable that I wasn't with that they shouldn't get the rate but when I called to talk to the manager who got back to me two days after I called to see if the rate could at least be the advance purchase rate (which I could have done since I booked the two rooms in May), before I could say anything he said, "You agreed to the new rate and paid for it, what is the problem?" I tried to explain that maybe it could have been put to the advance purchase rate and he continued to argue with me. I mentioned that I didn't think he had the best customer service and he told me "you are immature." Wow! I would like to report him but don't know how. So what would have been a 5 star rating because of the nice treatment they gave my family and friends (even an upgrade in their one room), now isn't. If I was rating the manager, it would have been a -10 rating. Stay - hotel is nice; manager isn't.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank pkoMN
Chaska, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2011

I stay at the Holiday Inn Express to get away from the realities of life. I call it my mini vacation. The rooms are extremely clean and spacious. The service is excellent. I feel comfortable at the holiday inn. I would give this hotel five stars plus.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chanhassen
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Chanhassen
#2 of 4 in Chanhassen
Oak Ridge Hotel and Conference Center
GrandStay Hotel & Suites Chaska
Hyatt Place Minneapolis/Eden Prairie

Been to Holiday Inn Express Chanhassen? Share your experiences!