“What a way to spend a lovely day”

Minnesota Landscape Arboretum
Ranked #1 of 11 things to do in Chanhassen
Reviewed November 3, 2011

It's worth the drive to visit the Arboretum on a sunny day. No matter which season you visit, there is always something lovely to see - although April through October are the prime times. There are a number of trails to hike - most are very easy. If you'd rather not walk, there's even a drive through path. So many lovely plants - lots of nature to experience. Take your camera! We saw a few wedding parties while we were there - what a great place for a reception.

Reviewed November 3, 2011

My friend is elderly so walking is not really an option for her. I also had my son who is 7 with me so sitting for long periods of time is truely not very entertaining. Trying to balance the two can be pretty difficult. Our only option was the 3 mile drive. Rating is a 4 because of all the things you can see. I love seeing the trees turn color because it doesnt really happen in OR. There were many areas where you could stop and take in the views by the water, or trees or just the landscape. Some people were zooming past us but we went really slow so we can take in as much as possible from the car. At one point I asked my son if he would like to get out and run. That's exactly what he did. Car traffic was very little and the fields were large. So he got out and ran in front of us and would sit and would wait for us to finally get to him before continuing. He loves to run and my friend got to take in everything she could. It was a win/win. There is also a shrub maze. It is cold in oct. so take a jacket. We got through the maze quickly and it was fun. The twig house in the front of the buildings was awesome. The gate house where you pay to enter was made of pumpkins. I didn't get to go into the buildings to see the flowers but the 3 mild drive was still worth it. Must be beautiful when the air is warm and the flowers are in bloom.

Reviewed October 30, 2011

This is a great place to go if you want to spend time outdoors without having to do any hard physical activity. Most of the walking is done on paved paths, so it's easy for younger and older visitors. There are signs everywhere telling you what you're looking at and explaining how to get to other areas of the park so you're not likely to get lost. The variety of plants is astounding, and in many of the exhibits there are signs explaining how the botanists care for the plants.

It's also a perfect place to take family photos, as the landscaping is well done and there are plenty of lovely vistas for photography.

When my husband and parents visited, we thought it was a great way to spend time together as a family in the outdoors. It's more informative than a regular park, but doesn't require as much physical activity as going for a hike for example.

Reviewed October 11, 2011

If you like to walk, there are lovely trails that you can explore. They also offer a tram service, if you'd prefer. The grounds are very well kept, everything from wetlands and native plants, to herbs, to wonderful seasonal flowers.

Each season this deserves a return trip.

In the autumn, make sure you go to the apple stand. The U of M experiments. I tried the 1802 variety (they're numbered first, and if deserve, get a name). Nice time.

Reviewed October 4, 2011

I just visited this place today (10/4) and being that it is fall the trees were changing colors and it provided wonderful scenery/pictures. It has many gardens with a wide variety of plants/flowers/roses, as well as about every tree native to Minnesota on the property. You can do the 3 mile scenic drive through the Arboretum (which I highly recommend) but also take a stroll through the gardens. The not only have beautiful plants, they also have waterfalls, ponds, and different sculptures throughout the property adding to its amazement. This place is great to spend an afternoon (plan on 3-4 hours - at least - depending on how much you want to see and how much time you spend looking at all the stuff) and is sure to provide endless beautiful scenery, especially during fall!

1  Thank MNVikings2011