“Good (but not great) BBQ”

Qfanatic BBQ and Grill
Ranked #2 of 37 Restaurants in Champlin
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Takeout
Dining options: Takeout
Shakopee, MN
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,077 helpful votes
“Good (but not great) BBQ”
Reviewed December 2, 2011

We visited at Noon on Friday, December 2, 2011. They were out of potato salad for the day!?! You order at a counter with the menu posted on a wall. The daily specials are hidden behing the person at the cash register taking your order. By the way, that was the owner himself today; poor customer service, no please, no thank you. You get a number on a metal stand that you put on ypur table for later delivery. The pulled pork sandwiches were $7.50 each, served with bagged potato chips. You need to order your bbq sauce at the time of order, it is served on the side in a small cup. A regular side (when ordered with a sandwich) is $1.50, we had the beans. Fountain soda, with free refills, $1.50. Order comes to your table in about 15 to 20 minutes.

The pork is served on a crusty french baguette. The bread is so overpowing and hard that it takes over the sandwich. I would have rather have had a bun instead. The pulled pork is very tender and evidence of smoke ring on the exposed meat bits in the mix. But there is no real seasoning to the meat, it really could have used some salt and pepper! The sauce is served in a small cup on the side. My wife had the mild Honey BBQ sauce - it had a wierd metalic aftertaste. I had the owner's original medium Espresso BBQ sauce which was OK, but nothing special. The beans may have come out of a can with added meat bits. Again, OK, but nothing special. It was an average lunch, but we have no reason to return for average food.

• Visited December 2011
1 Thank Steve0315

Minnesota
“Best ribs in MN!”
Reviewed October 31, 2011

I loved this place, small and quaint, and the food was amazing. The brisket was melt in your mouth amazing, and the spare ribs were the best I've had in a long, long time. To me it put Rudolph's to shame. So good! I recommend ordering multiple sides and sharing to get some of everything!

• Visited July 2011
“Now I'm a QFanatic!”
Reviewed October 22, 2011

I've been driving past this place twice a day for 5 years but never stopped. My friend recently saw them featured on Food Network's Diners Drive Ins and Dives and suggested we try it.

Oh Boy! When you see a line waiting to order and sit down, you know it's going to be good or why would people bother to hang around. It is a small place in a small strip mall off of a busy highway. Nothing fancy and be prepared to wait. The spectacular thing is the smell of the smoker out in the parking lot. The food was UNBELIEVABLE! I had the pulled pork with the espresso BBQ sauce and corn fritters. Honestly, the meat stands on it's own without any sauce at all. The thing I have to rave about most was my daughters Mac N Cheese...definitely didn't come out of a box. Best I've ever had. We also sampled the creamy potatoes and that was another religious experience.

I saw some reviews complaining about the profound...frankly, there was no way I was going to be able to eat everything that was on my plate. Walked out more than full and it was easy on my bank account. Really good value and high quality meal. Totally recommend!

2 Thank Yogamonkey1
Champlin, Minnesota
“Best Q in Minnesota”
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Owned and run by a local family, Qfanatic has the best "Q" in Minnesota. Don't mistake it for fast food; whether you eat in or take out, good food takes time! If you dine in, you place your order at the counter and they bring it out to you, not quite like a full-service diner.

We ordered the Q Sampler, with sliced beef brisket, pulled chicken and pulled pork. For our sauces, we tried the Espresso and the Chipotle. The grownups tucked into Grilled Seasonal Vegetables (carrots and zucchini) with the house Garlic Aioli, while the kids preferred the Corn Fritters. The meal came with some generic rolls, probably the most mundane part of the food.

The meat was incredible -- very juicy and tender, no sauce needed really. The Espresso sauce was our favorite, subtle with a little after-kick. The Chipotle was more bold, as expected.

It's a small place, tucked into a small strip-mall type venue, but if fantastic food is your goal, it's well worth the drive to the northern tip of Champlin!

• Visited September 2011
1 Thank jeepifer
Minneapolis, MN
“Best on the spot BBQ joint!”
Reviewed August 20, 2011

Best to call your order in ahead as every order is made from scratch! The wait can and will be long! The smoker is right outside the door. Many varieties of sauces ranging from mild to hot available. Fresh, hot garlic bread! Great variety!

• Visited August 2011