“Great Buffalo Burgers and Nice”
Review of Eichten's Bistro

Eichten's Bistro
Cuisines: American
Reviewed April 20, 2012

Great place off the beating path of the busy city lights. Delicious Bison burgers and dishes. Nice selection of import beer and wines. I had a tap beer that was awesome. I have drove by the place in the past but never stopped in for lunch. Only open during the week till 4:30 ish but have normal hours on Friday and Saturday. The place is known for the watching the grazing buffalo. I can’t believe I haven’t been there before. Great place to meet when you want to be away from it all. With it being close to sculpture arts area and the St Croix Park; this would make for a great place to stop in and relax.

1  Thank Got to G

Reviewed March 29, 2012

We ate at Eichten's on St. Patrick's Day, in the evening. After shopping in the store and deli and after blowing $38.00 on some seriously delicious bison braunschwieger, tomato basil cheese, and a host of other snacks, we were seated.

My wife and I had Reubens. Without hesitation, I can honestly say this was the best Reuben of my life! Delicious hunks, not slices, of meltingly tender corned beef. A really well-grilled marble rye bread. And we didn't have to ask for Thousand Island. Wonderful. You seriously must try the Reuben.

Great Bison burgers, which my sons enjoyed. My mom got the bison stew, which was a nutmeggy, comforting treat.

2  Thank ahosch
Reviewed March 10, 2012

Eichtens serves a variety of buffalo steak and burgers which is a unique offering in the area. They also have a really great deli with meats, cheeses and gourmet selections which is fun to visit. Unfortunately they are overpriced, both in the deli and the restaurant. I would go much more often, as the food is not bad, if the prices were more reasonable.

1  Thank blnavarremary
Reviewed April 10, 2011

I wanted to write a formal letter to tell you of my lunch experience on Sunday, April 10, 2011. My husband and I stopped to have lunch as we have never been to Eichten's, and we were quite happy with the initial atmosphere. We sat down at 12:15pm and ordered our food (I ordered the naked burger with waffle fries & salad - my husband ordered a bison burger with waffle fries and a side of bison chili). 45 minutes later, our lunch finally came out. We were not happy with the long wait, but were patient and did not complain. When the waitress brought our order, she put down a hamburger with american cheese in front of me, and I said no, that is his because I don't eat cheese (allergic). My husband said he didn't order american cheese, and the other hamburger was his. The waitress asked me why I wouldn't eat mine with the cheese - which I was taken back by and just replied "I don't eat cheese". So, she took it back and literally 1 minute later, puts down the plate in front of me and walks away. I look down, and there was american cheese on the side of the burger - I proceeded to turn it over because it reeked of cheese, and THEY SCRAPED IT OFF AND TURNED IT OVER thinking I was stupid enough to NOT notice!!!!! I had also asked for it well-done, and at that time I cut halfway into it and saw it was still pink inside. So, my husband took my plate up to the counter and told them they scraped the cheese off - that I wanted a new hamburger and to please make it well-done. Then about 2 minutes later, a brown, well-cooked hamburger was brought out, and she walked away fast again. I looked down, and that same cheese that was on the side of the hamburger before was STILL THERE, PLUS that was the same burger I had cut halfway into before my husband took it up the 2nd time!!! Now I was furious. So then the waitress came back to ask if we were enjoying the food and I told her she can take the burger back - take it off the bill and I don't want anything!

I proceeded to tell her how disappointed I was - especially because I am a business owner myself (I own a store in downtown Center City) and our customers always ask where to eat in this area. I told her that after this experience, I would be sure to tell anyone who asked how Eichten's was exactly what my personal experience was. She did not apologize, but instead returned a few minutes later to tell me that the cook insisted that SHE cut into the burger to make sure it was well-done. That completely insulted my intelligence and I was blown away that I was being accused of being in the wrong when there was STILL cheese on the burger, which was the main problem! How hard is it to cook a new burger and bring it out! What did the cook want, a law suit to be brought on from trying to trick someone that there wasn't cheese on it when they are allergic to it?! UNBELIEVABLE! I told our waitress to tell the cook she was a liar.

To top things off, we finally got our bill, and were told that she took off the chili and my drink from the bill. My husband looked at it, and saw that although she DID do that, she added on Wedges for $3.00, which neither of us had or even ordered. So then we had to have the girl take that off at the register, and the whole time, the lady cook in the back room was giving me the look of death and staring me down. If she hates her job that much, she should NOT be there. I was offered a complimentary bowl of soup, but I declined because after 3 times of that happening, all I thought was that soup is going to have something in it it's NOT supposed to have, and on purpose. Shame on that cook for being so low. And for giving your restaurant such a bad name. Our waitress did not get a tip either.

There was a family of 6 that sat down at the same exact time that we did - and when we left, a full hour later, they were STILL waiting for their food. Maybe you are aware that your service is very slow, but really? Waiting 45 minutes to an hour+ for food??? That's horrible service.

I'm sorry to have to complain, that is not my nature, but I am still in shock over my experience. It's just a true shame.

6  Thank carrollcreek
Reviewed February 15, 2009

We booked a reservation well in advance for their all-inclusive Valentine's Day dinner on Sat. Feb. 14th. We arrived on time but were seated at the worse table in the room, although a much nicer one was open in front of the fireplace. After 10 minutes or so, we asked to be moved to another table (a couple more had just opened up). That wasn't a problem and the server was friendly and accommodated our request. We placed our dinner order and wouldn't you know it - the pacing was fast and furious: the salads arrived within minutes, followed by the entree (I still hadn't finished my salad), and then dessert and champagne (or was it Asti Spumante?)

For a Valentine's day dinner, this place really lacked atmosphere and intimacy; the music was poor (akin to elevator music), and the presentation of the food wasn't much better. For example, the salad dressing and butter for the bread were placed in chintzy plastic containers.

After just 60 minutes, our check was handed to us. What a disappointment. We won't return for dinner - maybe for a burger or a sandwich.