“Stepping Back in Time” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Oldenburg House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Carlton
Oldenburg House
You added Oldenburg House to your Saves list
Ranked #2 of 2 Carlton B&B and Inns
Osage, United States
“Stepping Back in Time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

On stepping into the Oldenburg House, a sense of welcome is immediate. Glen and Helen graciously take you in as if to say "you're home, come in and relax". History is everywhere, in the construction and decor. Outside, the grounds and gardens call to be explored, with paths, old-growth pine, mature trees, and billion-year old rock formations. The setting for this historic home is amazing with access to the Munger Trail, the St. Louis River, Jay Cooke State Park, and the Thompson Reservoir, all near by. And, Duluth is just a short drive away. Helen and Glen provide a delicious home-cooked breakfast, Keurig coffee, along with a cozy bedroom with private bath. The best part of our visit was getting to know Helen and Glen, two kind, generous and interesting people.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
2 Thank Sandra A

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Harpers Ferry, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

I had the great pleasure staying here last night. The hosts could not have been more welcoming (and fun!). Glenn personally showed me the gorge in the adjoining state park. Mama made me Swedish cookies!

• Stayed July 2013
Duluth, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

Both my wife and I had the pleasure, not once, but twice, of attending a fantastic musical experience by world-famous pianist Eric Himy at the Oldenburg House. Both Glenn and Helen, owners/operators of the B&B, did a superb job of having a beautiful grand piano, concert-in-the-round seating, and delicious treats for the concert attendees. The setting for this piano recital is spectacular: wooded grounds, rolling grass and gardens, beautifully restored mansion. As a B&B, the home is perfect. Highly recommend to anyone. Many thanks to Glenn and Helen for making us both feel welcome.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

This is the perfect location for EVERYTHING!!!! I attended the SolFest Concert and stayed at the Bed and Breakfast. This property is so beautiful inside and out! Set on acres of land and at the edge of the Jay Cooke State Park just footsteps from the lake and the river, I never need to go anywhere else to retreat. And did I mention the Concert/ Fest?! I cannot wait for next year- June 28th cannot come soon enough! This place is a magical must see. I want to have a retreat there and invite a huge group of friends and family (10 +); it's perfect for a wedding or huge party with space for over 1000 people on the property; and I hope they have concerts there more than once a year!!! I'm going back as soon as I can!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
St Paul
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

My wife and I celebrated our twenty-plus wedding anniversary in May at the Oldenburg House. Shortly after arrival, hiked through the woods and caught site of a of white tail deer threesome. The yard and surrounding area is beautiful. We echo the other reviews reflecting the graciousness of hosts Glenn and Helen. The breakfast was delicious and the fruit was fresh. We are planning our return this fall.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

We stayed here for 1 night in May 2013, while hiking trails in the area (Munger, Carlton, various Duluth trails). Hosts Glenn and his mother Helen couldn't have been more welcoming, it was a real pleasure to meet them, and their fine old house is a delight. I highly recommend this B&B to anyone interested in this beautiful area, or even for exploring Duluth which is only 15 minutes away. Good breakfast, comfortable bed, deer running through the back yard, and the Jay Cooke State Park right next door.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Tigard, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

A stay at the Oldenburg House with your delightful hosts Helen and her son Glenn is a treasure not to be missed. My brother and I stayed for 5 nights in early March and it was exactly what we needed. We were visiting my mother who lives in an assisted living facility just a couple miles away. Helen fixed us a delicious breakfast each morning. After a day visiting our mother we'd return In the evening for wonderful conversation (and yes, maybe even a game of scrabble with Helen). I stayed in the Jay Cooke room, which has an extremely comfortable, cozy queen size bed. The large bathroom is just a step across the hall, which I didn't mind at all. My brother stayed in the Oldenburg Suite with it's huge, beautiful bathroom, morning sun, and views of the lovely grounds and Jay Cooke Park beyond. This is a very special place to stay. We highly recommend it.

Room Tip: The Oldenburg Suite doesn't have a shower, so if you're not into only talking baths you migh...