“I will definitely stay here again soon!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Carlton
Black Bear Casino Resort Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Carlton
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“I will definitely stay here again soon!”
Reviewed October 5, 2010

First let me make it clear that I am not an avid gambler. My wife and I went to the Black Bear Casino looking for a weekend getaway to celebrate our anniversary. We really enjoyed the experience. We stayed in the new tower and the room was very nice. The bed was not as comfortable as I expected from some other reviewer's comments. It was ok though, just not quite as good as my bed at home. We had a disability accessible room. The room had a deep bathtub with lots of grab bars. A walk-in shower would have been better for our needs. We really enjoyed the buffet. Friday night's buffet featured prime rib and shrimp. Both were very good. The carver served thick slabs of prime rib and it was medium rare just as I like it. We did visit the casino and found the video poker machines to be no more stingy than those we have played in Las Vegas. My wife came out a little ahead and I lost a little. Oh, and the drive up there from the twin cities was gorgeous. The first weekend in Oct was the prefect time for a spectacular display of fall colors.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank treebeard46

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Thunder Bay, Canada
Reviewed September 19, 2010

This is the only place we stay when we go to Duluth. Stay in the tower. It's clean, spacious and quiet. You won't find anything comparable in the Duluth area for the price. We found the staff friendly and courteous. Free valet parking. Breakfast buttet is good. Past reviewers too critical. We prefer 5 star resorts and feel Black Bear Casino and Resort meet our standards, ie cleanliness, friendly attentive staff and close to local attractions.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank ThunderBay17
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed September 5, 2010

We stayed at Black Bear for 2 days while dropping our son off at college. I was really surprised at how nice the hotel was for the price. It wasn't the best hotel I've ever been to but it was the best value. We were in a jacuzzi suite and it was clean and even though it was the older side it was pretty nice. I liked having everything right there, restaurants & entertainment. My only complaint is the jacuzzi and air conditioning was very loud and I was afraid they would be heard through the walls. That said, I will be staying there again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Traveler91973
Isanti, Minnesota
Reviewed July 16, 2010

My boyfriend and I are very clean people. We both travel a bit for work. We happened to be at Black Bear for his work this time. We had two hotel rooms reserved since I only could stay 2 days and I did not want to stay with his co-workers during my stay with him. I just got home yesterday unpacked and we found bugs in our bags. Neither of us had our bags anywhere, but in this hotel and in our cars for the drive there and home. YUCK! We are still researching the bugs, we do know they are not bed bugs, but are leaning toward silverfish or something to the extent. I AM NOT HAPPY!! I have yet to hear from ANY management. Not to mention we had a few misunderstandings with rooms, internet, politeness, etc. You are better off staying across the street at the dumpy motel for $2 more!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank prbyashly

Travelers are raving about these Carlton hotels

Thunder Bay, Canada
Reviewed July 1, 2010

Stayed at Black Bear for a few nights, because there was nothing else available. What a plesant surprise. Rooms very new and clean. Bed very comfy. Flat screen TV. Only $59 a night during the week. I would recommend this place for anyone. Nice pool. Everything kid friendly.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed June 15, 2010

The hotel experience at Black Bear was more than was expected for $59. I have stayed at hotels that were over $200 per night and were not as nice as this. The bed was super comfortable. The room was perfectly clean. The staff was very friendly. I have absolutely no complaints at all.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nkapala
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed June 11, 2010

I have stayed here a few times when we have had events at the casino and I have always liked the hotel. The beds are comfortable, the rooms are fairly large and the floor to ceiling windows really open up the space. I have never had a problem with noisy neighbors or a lot of hallway noise in the middle of the night either like at some other casino hotels.

My only real complaint is that even though the tower is non-smoking, you can still smell cigarettes in the room. The first time I was here it was so bad that I thought someone was smoking right outside my door. Last time I was here however, I asked for a room farther away from the elevators and that seemed to help a lot. I think the doors open in the casino, people get in and the smell travels up with them. Just a tip if you're more sensitive to that.

The buffet is kind of hit or miss... but it's a buffet so there are a lot of options and if you don't like one thing you can try something else.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank 5onthe5
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carlton
Best Western Plus Spirit Mountain Duluth
Comfort Inn West
Comfort Inn West
#7 of 33 in Duluth
Days Inn Duluth/By Miller Hill Mall
Comfort Suites Canal Park
The Inn On Lake Superior
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Duluth North

Been to Black Bear Casino Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!