“Comfortable”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Carlton
Black Bear Casino Resort Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Carlton
Reviewed September 4, 2013

The tower rooms are nice. Great view, good sized bathroom. "Old" side rooms need work and the pool could use a good cleaning. The casino is nice but smoky when it's busy. Buffet is good. The steak house is wonderful. Excellent food with great service. We will be back to Black Bear Casino Resort!

Room Tip: No room service at this hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank k-Mirage

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Stayed here one night Friday August 30th. Have stayed here in the past. Stayed in room 10006, tower room with king bed. Has floor to ceiling windows, view of parking lot. Room is fairly large, and very quiet, didn't hear any noise from hall or room next door. Bathroom nice as well. Only complaint I have is bed spread feels kind of rough due to pattern on it. Love this casino, not as smoky as most, but wish was smoke free. My husband left $200 ahead, and I was $5 ahead, so we didn't lose any money. Buffet was good, and had great cheap breakfast in deli. Plan on staying here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank nursecommander
Reviewed August 30, 2013

I enjoyed my stay at Black Bear Hotel and Casino. Nice rooms with lovely views! Thanks to Mary at hotel check in for the one on one care!! I'll be back!
The gaming area could be improved by having a LARGER non smoking area!! Just a suggestion! The non smoking area now is WAY TOO SMALL!!

Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank 310waynet
Reviewed August 28, 2013

I have stayed here several times in the past 7 years "yes" 7 years when traveling for business in Duluth. The staff is always accommodating and pleasant until my stay Sunday August 19th. 2013. I booked a room two weeks prior for a quick night stay before heading up to lake superior with my boyfriend. I thought he might enjoy staying here because the room view is kind of cool if you stay in the tower! We checked in late that night around 8:30pm, hotel seemed busy. We checked in and headed to the room on the 3rd or 5th floor I'm not sure which. The view was overlooking the top of the garage ramp YUK!. Again, I've stayed here multiple times and the view's from the higher floor rooms are pretty cool! I went down to the front desk and asked if we could change rooms and the lady shouted "SORRY WE ARE BOOKED" real snotty and rude like, then turned back to her paperwork. I realize I checked in later that night and sometimes you don’t get the best room's but I just thought her response to my request was uncalled for and really rude! I have never posted a review on this website until now, that’s how upset I was about this.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank William J
Reviewed August 17, 2013

My wife and I have stayed here several time in the past 4 months. We always stay in the Tower rooms. Room are nice and always clean. Room rates are excellent compared to anything near Duluth which is only 20mins drive on interstate highway. The only thing I wish they would change is the comforter on the bed. It's extremely heavy and stiff. Something a lot softer would make a huge difference. We eat at the Seven Feathers restaurant. The food is good and the wait staff very friendly. The portions tend to be large so we often split a plate and get another side salad. They do serve alcohol in the casino at reasonable prices.

Room Tip: The Tower rooms are their newest rooms although a bit more expensive but well worth it.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 15, 2013

This place is a 20min drive from Duluth and great value for the money. The smoking rooms in the motel didn't smell bad to me and for the money.... Like $50/night plus $3 off the buffet (so breakfast would cost you only $3), then they give you $5 each of credit for the slot machines (so you can win some money back to make your stay even cheaper). There are lots of rooms so a good chance of availability compared to places in Duluth and the price from what I remember is better.

There is a pool, two whirlpools and a sauna ("sow-na", as the Finns say), which can all be crowded, but are nice to have.

Complimentary fountain drinks, coffee and tea bags at two stations in the Casino.

Tips on the casino "freeplay" credit: the credit is best used on one machine only, as I couldn't easily figure out how to keep other than whole dollars in play credit on my play card when changing machines. If you get $5 credit you HAVE to "play" it and can't just cash it out. The simplest thing for me to do is play penny slots for $0.10 each pull. I pull 50 times and whatever might be left can be cashed out.

Room Tip: The rooms in the older part of the hotel either face the parking lot or the pool. The pool closes a...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Kurt R
Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in the older section of the hotel and everything was good. The room was a bit run down, but clean. The only issue I had was when my jacuzzi jets stopped working. The front desk staff was very helpful and had maintenance there right away. However, my wife and I left to grab something to eat and when we got back to the room the maintenance employee locked the deadbolt while he was working on the tub. Other than that everything was good. Eat at the breakfast buffet in the morning, you won't regret it.

• Stayed: August 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carlton
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Carlton
Holiday Inn & Suites Duluth-Downtown
Park Point Marina Inn
Park Point Marina Inn
#2 of 31 in Duluth
Comfort Suites Canal Park
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Duluth North
Best Western Plus Spirit Mountain Duluth

Been to Black Bear Casino Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!